Micro guy lines

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Joshvegas

Micro guy lines

Post by Joshvegas »

Was unhappy with pinning tarp down to the ground directly creating wrinkles etc so i decided to make wee guy lines that can be adjusted from not very much to a reasonable amount. Will I wake up looking at the stars?

Cheeky Monkey

Re: Micro guy lines

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Personally I just use a metre or two of zing-it or similar stuff (look on FR Jones and sons forestry website for throwlines). Splice an eye into one end and then just wrap the other around the peg (3 sided stakes are good).

Hammockforums.net has some god stuff on guylines :ugeek: There's some useful stuff about how to bicycle mini-lineloks so you can tighten them from inside the shelter. I've done it and it's useful but they'll describe it better than me.

Alternatively Stu flogs pre-made ones :wink:
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

The problem with line loks is the minimum length is only ever half its length, I was just playing really.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultralight-dy ... 4183e12ca3 nothing to do with me but i have just bought a titanium wind-shield from him ....he does lightweight camping gear.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Joshvegas wrote:The problem with line loks is the minimum length is only ever half its length, I was just playing really.
Good point, which I usually get round by having a longer guy line, which gives me more adjustment.

Like the idea of using prussiks though. Does the prussik loop go to the peg or the tarp, or does it not matter?
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Well i poke the prusik through then pull the whole thing through the loop larkshead style that way from inside the tent i grab the red tail and can just push the prusik away.

I shortened the bowline so now i can get the edge of the tarp about 2 inches of the ground or however high the tail is. I will probably just leave them on all the edge loops.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Neat. I will be trying this, thanks :-bd
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Well they worked kindof trick to adjust i could really have done with a extra hand!
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

This is what I use (ish) and sounds similar to the above but just using lighter weight Zing It or similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDuBHE0RXtg

Sorry, the bloke goes on a bit :wink:
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

Yeah makes sense, I tend to keep my tarp low though so didn't feel the need for extra length. :-)