Q's for Fatbike users

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Re: Q's for Fatbike users

Post by voodoo_simon »

Great photos!

Can't add too much about riding in the snow as my mukluk hasn't seen any :sad: It's now my main mountain bike though, had to sell my full sus to fund it but I don't miss it.

I've used the mukluk on the Marin trail and it coped well, was first up the climbs and was mid pack on the descents with my mates(think it says more about them though :lol: ). Used it in the mountains too and for a rigid bike, it never really felt lacking.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

FLV wrote:So, following on from Voodoo_Simons Rov150 thread I was thinking about fatbikes again.
Dave,

You're more than welcome to borrow my 9;zero;7 and see what you make of it??

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

All you need to know about fat bikes is right here Dave.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-GOLD-BIKE-T ... 2518.l4276
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gari

Post by Gari »

^^^ I almost ruined my iPad showering it in tea laughing at that :lol: :lol: :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

composite wrote:All you need to know about fat bikes is right here Dave.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-GOLD-BIKE-T ... 2518.l4276
Endomorph and larry tyres, oh how passe
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Alpinum wrote

johnnystorm wrote:I'm rather jealous.

Sorry for that, only wanted to make FLV jealous.
Me too.. do you manage to get out on groomed X-country ski tracks too? Are they very protective of them or is access in the Alps OK in most places (French Alps? - I guess Gairy could comment more?)..... looks fantastic from the photos :-bd :grin:
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

99percentchimp wrote:do you manage to get out on groomed X-country ski tracks too? Are they very protective of them or is access in the Alps OK in most places
Yup, I do try to avoid them during regular hours. The groomer will work early morning and early evening around high frequency places like St. Moritz. So riding them early or after late afternoon was alright. When I got the opportunity I asked and once they saw the tracks I made, their only concern was accidents and payment (that's very swiss). Folks on skies where interested an not at all pissed off :-bd
Most of the XC tracks especially those running into elevated valleys are shared with hiking trails, so that's no issue.
Really good riding was after the famous Engadiner Ski Marathon. After that the tracks are beaten up anyway. So there's more tracks to choose from.

But, to be honest, I am waiting for that very moment where somebody tries to get me into trouble...
Lughnasadh

Post by Lughnasadh »

What is the yellow bar bag sitting over the dry bag?
I like it : )
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Did it myself. Get's pretty practical but wouldn't want to use it on techy trails.
gairym

Post by gairym »

99percentchimp wrote:Me too.. do you manage to get out on groomed X-country ski tracks too? Are they very protective of them or is access in the Alps OK in most places (French Alps? - I guess Gairy could comment more?)..... looks fantastic from the photos :-bd :grin:
Strictly speaking you're not allowed to use the nordic trails but I've ridden along the edges of them (flattened and rideable but not the groomed bit) without incident.

Here too a lot of the nordic trails run alongside the hiking paths and so I use those without worry.

Just through the tunnel in Italy they've got winter cycling trails to use and I'm looking forward to sampling these this coming winter.

Things are pretty traditional and protected here in Chamonix but I can imagine fatbiking really taking off in a quieter resort keen to embrace new ways to attract visitors.

The good thing about the Chamonix valley is that it's so well used that even some of the local singletrack is trampled down enough by walkers to be passable on a fatbike even in deep snow.
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

For snow, I'd go big. The difference in riding the Iditarod on 65mm Large Marges vs 100mm Clown Shoes was enormous.

To begin with on the 100s, I kept almost tripping myself up. I was bracing myself to plough into the soft stuff and lose momentum, but it floated so much better that I could just keep riding. Really nice, once you get the hang of it. It was misery walking my Large Marges though Petervary's ridden 100mm tracks in 2011. At least I had no excuse this year.

FWIW both Jeff Oatley and I (1st and 2nd this year) both had 100mm rims and 4" 45NRTH tyres. We were talking about it a couple of weeks ago and the only change he would have made would be to consider carbon 100s instead of Clown Shoes.

And the fastest time on the old Susitna 100 course was set by CX bikes, so there's no one right answer :cool: