1st MYOG attempt - unusual bag design - tips pls

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

1st MYOG attempt - unusual bag design - tips pls

Post by jameso »

I have a bag design that I want to make a test-run sample of, it has a few sections and pockets. I'll use 500 Cordura and hand-sew it for now. Got some idea of how to proceed but not done anything like this apart from a bar harness, so can I ask a few qs of those with some experience? Ta.

Patterns - I'll need to make a card model with individual panels to get sizing right. I use the same basic pattern for cutting fabric, assuming each panel has a 10mm or so wide tab to join /sew etc, right?

Eyelets for cord loops - if I buy these can I fit them with a small hammer or do they need a press? Any alternatives?

Foam lining for panels, (Evazote etc - alternatives?) - is it a real faff to include to give a boxy bag some shape? I guess I just need to double up on a panel cut-out and sandwich it, allowing for the thickness. A plastic sheet liner may be easier.

Edging for a lid or pocket top - double back the fabric along the edges, sew, fold edge material round, sew?

Webbing daisy chain like Alpkit use - does it need support from the back too if I'm hand-sewing to a strong but scruffy standard? : )

I'm ok with doing this the slow way by hand as it's more for trying an idea than durability and I don't own a sewing machine. A learning process really. Thanks for any tips, links etc.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: 1st MYOG attempt - unusual bag design - tips pls

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Eyelets for cord loops - if I buy these can I fit them with a small hammer or do they need a press? Any alternatives?
A hammer will work but it'll be a real PITA. Have a look on ebay or the local hardware shop for something like this:

They're not expensive and will save lots of grief.

Can't help will anything else, sorry ... but if you decide to make a metal/wood/carbon bag let me know :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

A hammer is fine for eyelets but you do need a special tool to mount both bits on before you whack it. I bought my eyelets off eBay and made sure I ordered from someone who stated that the tool was supplied as well.
From my own experience I found hand sewing to be very time consuming, boring and a real pain, so much so that I nearly gave up. I eventually got a basic machine off Gumtree for £30.
10mm edging is fine for a basic stitch line. In areas that I found difficult to pin I used a stapler to hold the material together.
There are plenty of web sites that will tell you about different hem lines, stitches etc some better than others.
Good luck and have fun.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I've just finished my first frame bag. It's a partial frame bag for a specialized pitch. I used cordura 500 too. I lined it with old tent inner. Bright yellow. Used a bit of a yoga mat for padding on the down tube. I used material from a light weight plastic folder for a4 paper cut to size to stiffen the edge closest to shock. I didn't bother padding sides. I originally had Velcro tabs sewn into hem but were misaligned so cut them off and added daisy chain approach like alpkit. This was difficult to do after bag was complete.

Things I learned.
Template is vital
Add daisy chain before sewing all panels together
Adding zip took up more material than I expected.
Grosgrain on hems will make appearance neater.

I did it on a sewing machine. Good luck hand sewing it all.

Edit. By Hems: I meant internal seams.
jameso

Post by jameso »

From my own experience I found hand sewing to be very time consuming, boring and a real pain, so much so that I nearly gave up.
Hmm, maybe a valid point. It's a better use of time than random internet bike-site trawling or TV though : )
Add daisy chain before sewing all panels together
thanks for those tips, useful.

I may be able to take a bail-out route to getting it made but I know I'll learn more making v1 myself.. unless it ends up really rubbish :grin: which is quite likely if I under-estimate the process. Maybe a card model is a good thing to do first. Noted about eyelets.
jameso

Post by jameso »

but if you decide to make a metal/wood/carbon bag let me know :wink:
It may well contain carbon..
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Can't offer much wisdom but I will offer encouragement. Get it done - you will learn a huge amount by just trying it and making mistakes along the way. I'd also recommend finding a cheap sewing machine. You'll do a better job, learn more about how to do the job properly and you'll do it in a fraction of the time.
jameso

Post by jameso »

2 card models made and 'tested' (ridden round the block hoping no-one sees me riding with what looks like/is a cardboard box on my bike) and I have a design, and also an offer of professional help that I think I'll take. While still muddling on with making my own version, as charlie says, good way to learn something new.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

How about some photos? :wink:
SimonD

Post by SimonD »

What type of thread do you use on the webbing? Everyday polypropylene thread from a sewing shop?
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

That's what I use. I started off with some super-thick, super-strong stuff and it was a giant pain in the rear. It wouldn't run through the machine properly and I ended up nearly tossing the whole lot through the window. Experience so far shows that ordinary poly thread works fine and is pretty durable.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thought I should update this, since my trip this bag/box was intended for is coming up, and I haven't made anything : ) so an update with no update ..

An outdoor gear supplier who remains nameless at the mo offered to make it for me but things have got a bit busy there I think. And in the meantime I've had a better idea for the format that'll be easier to make, maybe.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thought I should update this, since my trip this bag/box was intended for is coming up, and I haven't made anything : ) so an update with no update ..

An outdoor gear supplier who remains nameless at the mo offered to make it for me but things have got a bit busy there I think. And in the meantime I've had a better idea for the format that'll be easier to make, maybe.
That's cleared that up then! :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Aye .. I bet the suspense over the next update is building now : )
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

I made a bag for my road/cx bike last year, this video was a pretty good guide, and really handy to get your head around what order to sew things together!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWDRiexLA0I