How to mount Exposure lights with handlebar bag on

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

How to mount Exposure lights with handlebar bag on

Post by ericrobo »

Pondering whether I should get lights, cos in autumn the nights are drawing in and might still be doing long trips in the hills...

How do you guys fit Exposure lights when you have a handlebar bag which sticks up a bit ? Does it still work ?

I use an Alpkit kanga harness.... if you have it too low you risk the bag catching the front wheel when the suspension dips...

And what model of Exposure would be best for off-road MTB'ing ?

Is a joystick (assuming this fits onto the helmet) just a luxury ?

Do you get a rear light when you buy, and how is it wired, or does it just have batteries in ?
johnnystorm

Re: How to mount Exposure lights with handlebar bag on

Post by johnnystorm »

I use one of these:

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P23503/product

Which model depends on light needed & runtime.

Helmet light not essential but helpful on techy terrain where you look around a corner before steering into it. Also if honking up a hill my bars flop left/right whereas you look straight ahead.

You can get a flare rear light with its own battery or a redeye that takes its power from the main light. Available with a long cable for seat post mounting or short for clipping onto a helmet mount.

I have a six pack on my bars and a diablo on my lid. The diablo would probably do for bars too to be honest with a piggyback battery if more runtime needed. If you're not needing loads of light you can programme them to be lower powered. You can alledgedlly get 24hrs from a diablo on its lowest setting. Probably still better than evereadys of old! A beacon rubber cap is a nice addition for use in camp.
atk

Post by atk »

johnnystorm wrote:Helmet light not essential but helpful on techy terrain where you look around a corner before steering into it. Also if honking up a hill my bars flop left/right whereas you look straight ahead.
They're also handy for mechanicals, map checking, rummaging in bags for that elusive Clif bar, figuring out the vast selection of gate latch mechanisms and not falling into a ditch when going for a piss!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find that if I'm only using a single light then it's much more use on my helmet than it is on the bars.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

I run a similar setup to Johnny, but if you were just going to use one light i'd recommend running a helmet mounted one.

As others have said its much more versatile. Map reading, opening gates, fixing punctures and around camp.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Thanks all for the info.

Looking at Exposure lights it is a bit of a minefield... main factors for me I guess is:
weight, lumens, burn time
they all seem to be "SPT+" enabled:
"SPT+ enabled lights automatically recognise accessories allowing you to power additional front and rear lights, use the remote Switch, charge USB devices on the move or plug in a support battery for extended light."

And as Chew says a helmet light may be the best option.
I got it down to:
Diablo Mk 5 (helmet & bars) - 1100 lumens, 108g, 2-36HRS burn time, £199.95
Axis - (helmet & bars) - 550 lumens for 2 hrs (whatever that means) 91g, 2-36hrs, £169.95
Joystick Mk8 (helmet & bars) - 400 lumens, 87g, 2-36hrs, £129.95

So my question is:
Is 400 lumens enough ? (ps - it may be for me - I managed to get over Beda Fell doing the Lakeland200 with just a Petzl headtorch...)

Any comments ?
FLV

Post by FLV »

I also use exposure lights.

I have a joystick and a diablo but my favourite is the Toro.

for BB200 last year I just used the toro, mounted normally, with a wildcat bar harness and had no issues at all.

I carried a diablo but only used it at the end, and only because I'd carried it.

If i'd have used a headlight, it would be a slightly more useful light beam but I dont like lights on my lid if I can help it. It makes my helmet move about and I get forehead rash
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Rutland cycling have the mk8 joystick for about £110 (before quidco) one pack is the JS & battery powered flare, one with redeye powered from tge JS and JS by itself with bar & helmet mount for £95. Smudge at MTB batteries does the triple cell(I.e. 3x extra from standard capacity) piggybacks for £45.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Diablo mk5 £158 @ Westbrook cycles (and quidco?)

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/exposu ... ht-p233494#
Chew

Post by Chew »

I think it depends on what type of riding you'll be using lights for?

More bikepacking winter riding along double track and/or Wednesday Night Rides around the woods in winter?

If its mainly double track you'd be surprised how little light you do need, but if its faster and more twisty the more power the better.

I have an older version of the Joystick which I need to run on the medium setting to be of use (240 lms max) on gentle stuff and max on twisty stuff.
The max-D I have is 1285 lms max, but i'll use it on low for bikepacking and medium for technical stuff.

The Joystick will do you fine for Bikepacking and you should get a good 8-12 hours of power at a good brightness. The Diablo will give you more options and a longer battery life for the same output, so its just if its worth the extra cash.

Theres also other alternatives to Exposure lights over here
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=7&t=4084
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Back to the original question.

I made this in order to get a bit of extra height for a bar-mounted light.

ImageDSC_0150 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Might not be pretty, but it's pretty cheap :grin:
jBay

Post by jBay »

Exposure don'tcharge iPhones from the SPT+
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191205586144

Also successfully munged into a dry bag attachment (see Bike & Bivi group on Facebook), photos here.