Mid week meander.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Mid week meander.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Given the recent spell of proper summer, I've been trying to utilise any and all excuses to get out, so when Matt suggested a few days in the hills I couldn't resist. I had various route ideas floating about in the back of my head, so I sat down and planned a fantastic route starting and finishing at Bear Bones Towers and taking in the very best trails and tracks around the Elan valley ... then I thought 'sod it', deleted the route and decided we were going to wing it!

The aforementioned summer weather meant that packing even lighter than usual was a simple matter - Tarp? No. Waterproof? No. Spare clothes? No, not a single item. The clothes I had were the clothes I was wearing (which weren't many), I had a bivvy bag, summer sleeping bag and a 3/4 length Neo-air. A Ti mug and 8g stove would suffice for brewing up and a couple of butties and a few of Lidls finest cookies took care of any nutrition requirements. After a mandatory faff and a one last cup of tea we were off.

Bugeilyn ... be bolloxed.
The name Bugeilyn can strike fear into even the hardiest of riders, it's a place that's entered bikepacking folklore. A 7km stretch of mid-Wales bridleway that from the comfort of your sofa promises a serpentine singletrack through some of the wildest land in the country. The reality is something oh so very different ... think bog, think BIG BOG ... 7km of wet, unridable bog, just the kind of place where Type 3 fun lives, hiding in the knee deep tussocks and waiting to infect the mind of anyone stupid enough to be carrying / pulling / dragging their bike along its length. Well not today fella ... being summer I can only imagine that Type 3 fun had gone on holiday for a week or so and his affairs were being looked after by his altogether more pleasant sibling, Type 1. The world had been turned upside down, wet had become dry, slippy had been transformed into grippy and we were able to ride about 90% of the 7km, which is something I never thought I'd be able to say.

That's right, it's Bugeilyn and Matt's smiling!

No particular place to go.
Not having a route or destination combined with not giving a toss is a very liberating experience. After Bugeilyn we crossed the Afon Hengwm and contoured Nant-y-moch, if a track caught our eye or a trail tickled our imaginations we simply followed it ... you can't be lost if you're not trying to get anywhere. We started to slowly lose height and as the metres fell away the tell tale signs of civilisation started appearing, we'd had a brilliant afternoon but were now ready for a little sit down with a pint of coke.

The lure of a bothy containing 6, 18 year old female DoE participants doing their best to cool down, made the climb up to Nant Syddion quicker than usual ... the disapointment of finding the place empty was crushing but I consoled myself by eating cookies and telling Matt about the woman who hanged herself there after her husband and children died. By 11.30pm Debbie, Sharon, Jane, Becky, Rachel and Emma still hadn't turned up so we retired for the evening.

Matt acting as a midge magnet ouside Nant Syddion.

The mystery of Claerddu
Having Matt tell you that you snore is a wound that may never heal ... quite how he's able to tell someone else is snoring through the industrial din he produces is something I'm still trying to figure out. It was already warm at 8.00am as we rolled down the fireroad and away from the bothy ... it was bloody hot fifteen minutes later as gravity demanded payback and the climb out of the valley bottom began. At the top a spontaneous decision to follow a random singletrack through the trees was rewarded by the trail fairies and we were deposited on the edge of the forest exactly opposite a lovely bridleway I knew well ... we decided to ignore it. Instead of following the left track we went right down another bridleway that we guessed would bring us out somewhere 'useful'.

Remember kids ... red doesn't equal tan.

The morning carried on and the miles rolled away. As we approached Fair Rhos I knew we'd be turning left and onto the road / track through Tyfi Pools. It's somewhere Matt hadn't ridden before, so I was able to re-live seeing it for the first time through his eyes ... I'd forgotton just how spectacular it is. As we neared my 'turn left here for Claerddu bothy' mental marker, I realised that if Matt hadn't ridden along this roller-coaster road before, then it was doubtful that he'd visited the worlds poshest bothy either.

There was no sign of life as the bothy came into view, we crossed the stone bridge, opened the door and were hit by a literal heat wave. On one of the hottest days of the year someone had lit a fire! I pushed the door open and stepped inside, as my eyes adjusted to the light I fully expected to find the shrivelled, dried out remains of the firestarter, slumped over the table, pen in hand and bothy book opened in front of their beef jerky carcass, the words ... NEED WAT scribbled on the page. The fire in the range was roaring, it had obviously been fair chuffed up within the last hour but the fire was the only sign of life. There was nothing upstairs, no kit left for a returning wanderer, no personal items, absolutely no sign that anyone was planning to return or had been in residence within the last week let alone the last hour. We hadn't passed anyone on our approach to the bothy who was close enough to have built the fire and we didn't pass anyone in the opposite direction when we left ... spooky? Not really. Slightly unusual? Yes. Stupid? Most certainly.

Monks Trod ... the clue's in the name.
It would have been a fairly straight forward ride down the side of Claerwen, nice gravel doubletrack all the way with only a slight headwind to impede progress. However, the previous days exploits across Bugeilyn encouraged us to try a different approach ... the Monks Trod is an ancient road that was used by the monks of Strata Florida to reach their sheep walks high on the hills. Usually it's somewhere well worth avoiding, the nature of the land coupled with three decades of recreational 4x4 use had left the 'road' in tatters and largely unpassable ... we were hoping last years ban on motorised access and the prolonged dry spell might have improved things.

It seems that the actual location of the first part of the byway is in dispute and no one's really too sure quite where it ran. It is marked on the map but the cartogrophers crayon scribblings bear no relation to what exists on the ground ... we set a mental bearing and headed off towards the river crossing which would lead us onto the second, much more defined section. I can't tell you quite how long we pushed and carried our bikes for, maybe an hour, maybe three, it all became a bit of a blur but we did eventually reach the river and the start of the road proper. The sun was now doing its very best to melt us so we took the opportunity to remove shoes and have a paddle before we pressed on. We sat on the rocks in the middle of the river, dangled out white feet in the water and talked rubbish. The rubbish talking was brought to an abrupt end by me squeeling like a girl ... something (brave) was nibbling my foot. Closer inspection revealed that the shallow water was teeming with little fish, little fish who seemed to like the taste of hot sweaty feet.

Trod ... as in walking.

Fish pedicure over we reacquainted ourselves with socks and shoes and embarked on the slow climb out of the valley bottom. The Monks Trod Trudge winched us higher and higher until we eventually reached a ridge and what seemed like the top of the world. The green desert spread out in every direction, a carpet of tussocks, bog and nowt else, a 4 foot wide ribbon of track and occasional marker post would be our guide through the Elenydd. If we were wrong in our previous assumptions about the tracks state then the next 10km were going to call for the a new classification of fun ... Type 4.

The Monks Trod hasn't been this dry since 1867.

Luckily our slightly educated guess proved good and the gamble paid off. For the first time in a very long time, the Monks Trod was ridable, okay so it was vague in places and still a touch soggy in others but if you kept your eye on the ball you could ride it. The final kilometer descent down to Pont Elan was superb, tyres rolled easily on the hard surface, the Horse flies couldn't keep up and the dead sheep in the bottom of the ruts gave Matt something to bunnyhop.

We agreed that more cold Coke was in order, the nearest possible place to purchase such an item was located and we pedalled off in that direction. It was late afternoon now and we had no idea what time the visitor centre closed ... if it was 4.00 then we were already too late, if it was 5.00 then we might just make it. Three reservoirs stood between us and carbonated, sugary salvation, the going was easy but it's quite a distance so at Caban-coch I made a break and a sprint finish to the centre. They closed at half four, it was quarter to five, my puppy dog eyes, natural charm and sweat soaked jersey worked their magic and I emerged from the centre cafe victorious ... having the right money helped too.

The Pirates of Rhayader.
Matt rolled up to the centre seconds after and while rubbing the cold can around his face started to complain about his eyes and the right one in particular. He believed that a combination of hayfever, bright light, sun cream and possibly dehydration was causing his eyes to close up ... I just put it down to the fact he'd been living down south for too long.

We'd been out of food for a while and our water supplies were pretty much gone ... Rhayader had food and water and it was only five miles away. Matts eyes were getting pretty bad now and he was struggling to keep them open for longer than 20 seconds at a time but he managed to keep going without crashing into anything and we cruised down the main street 30 minutes later ... a pub was selected, drinks purchased and a menu found. We had a chat with a couple of lads riding fully loaded tourers who if their expressions were anything to go by obviously thought we'd escaped from somewhere but Matt wasn't his usual self. The eye situation was getting worse, he didn't really say much but rummaged about in his bag, produced his first aid kit and without any fuss knocked himself up a makeshift eye patch. The DIY patch wasn't the give away as to how much his eye was troubling him though ... it was the fact that he was willing to make himself look like such a tw*t in front of so many strangers! ... we probably needed a plan.

Parrot just out of shot.

We left the big city around 7.00, I had an overnight spot in mind but if the eye didn't improve I doubted we'd make it. As the miles ticked by the situation started to look brighter. We reached the point where we needed to turn off the road but instead we carried on, with our potential overnight venue behind us I wasn't quite sure where we'd end up. It was 9.00pm when I realised that Matt had a section of his brain missing, the part that calculates and remembers ascent. We'd arrived in Llangurig, the eye was much improved and Matt suggested we detour to Nant Rhys bothy because " it's not very far and pretty flat, reckon we could be there by 9.30" ... I calculated we'd be there around 10.30.

At 10.25 the gable end of the bothy came into view, it was pretty dark by now but the building stood out against the clear sky like a beacon. Sadly we'd missed all the DoE girls so had the place to ourselves ... within half an hour we were both unconcious.

Nant Rhys to home is conducted on full auto pilot, each turn is fully embedded in the knicker draw towards the back of my head that acts as a memory. Although uneventful the final morning of our trip was superb, the weather, scenery and feeling of freedom was almost enough to make us turn tail and head off somewhere else ... we didn't but it was a close run thing.

I've no idea how far we rode, how high we climbed or what our average speed was over the 3 days and I couldn't care less. Putting numbers onto a ride like this wouldn't add to it, only detract ... sometimes it really is about the journey, not the destination.

Thanks to Matt.
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Re: Mid week meander.

Post by psling »

Great write up of what sounds like an enjoyable trip, thanks. Hope Matt's eye is OK?

I remember back in the 70s when Welsh Nationalism was high and there was a campaign against invaders buying up cottages as holiday homes; there was a slogan at the time - "Come home to a real fire, buy a holiday cottage in Wales"!

The only time I can remember successfully negotiating the Monks Trod between Teifi and Pont yr Elan was back in the 80s when the ground was totally frozen. I believe the route confusion at the Teifi pools end is because of the County boundary, each County designating the route differently under the old RoW Acts. And, again if I remember rightly, the Monks Trod is the old route between Strata Florida and Abbey Cwm Hir.

Sorry about the rambling, your tale has brought back memories of adventures past :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

again if I remember rightly, the Monks Trod is the old route between Strata Florida and Abbey Cwm Hir.
That's right, all the Abbeys in mid-Wales were linked but the only bit that commonly gets referred to as the Monks Trod is the section between Tyfi Pools and Pont Elan.
I remember back in the 70s when Welsh Nationalism was high and there was a campaign against invaders buying up cottages as holiday homes; there was a slogan at the time - "Come home to a real fire, buy a holiday cottage in Wales"!
For many years there was a deralict cottage near Betwys that had "WALES IS NOT FOR SALE" painted along the front in big white letters. 20 years later WALES IS NOT had been painted over ... it's now a holiday let :grin:
gairym

Post by gairym »

Stuart (and Matt),

Bloody good work!

This is proper 'why we do it' stuff.

My favourite bit is:
s8tannorm wrote:I've no idea how far we rode, how high we climbed or what our average speed was over the 3 days and I couldn't care less. Putting numbers onto a ride like this wouldn't add to it, only detract ... sometimes it really is about the journey, not the destination.
Thanks for sharing.

Gairy.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

The lure of a bothy containing 6, 18 year old female DoE participants
Dan has just explained that DoE means Duke of Edinburgh. There was me thinking they were young workers from The Department of Environment. :roll:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Nice trip report, good read and sounds like a good trip
Mike

Post by Mike »

Sounds like I missed out on a good one stu. Enjoyed ya write up!
Matt

Post by Matt »

Was a cracking little jaunt, very warm :cool:

My eye was foooked and still isn't quite right, not sure what happened but this is the morning after a decent sleep in Nant Rhys. It was a lot worse the day before :shock:

This was moment before the shark attack!

(so tempting to photoshop a hat and fishing rod)
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Great write up, thanks for sharing..

Hope your eye is better Matt..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Excellent report and some top helmet hair on the paddling photo.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

some top helmet hair on the paddling photo.
It always looks like that helmet or not ... it's not since a brush or comb in over 30 years but I do attack it with blunt scissors from time to time :shock:
Ian

Post by Ian »

In this photo..:
...is the only function of the "glasses" to keep the eye patch on? I've only just noticed that you've taken the lens out of the left side, thus the yellow on the other side isn't exactly doing much.

Anyway, hope you're properly better soon :-bd
Matt

Post by Matt »

No the glasses were just for extra Fonzy points :-bd*

*Was a bit of a low point and I'm not entirely sure what was happening.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Gone_Fishing
Gone_Fishing
vyrnwy-edit.jpg (229.71 KiB) Viewed 3442 times
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Matt

Post by Matt »

No hanging but a pretty tragic story though.

http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/utilities/ ... gtoken=eng
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Crikey. :cry: