Trotternish Traverse.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Trotternish Traverse.

Post by Richpips »

Has anyone done this, I'm putting together a big MTB route which is a bit light on off road up in the North.

I've checked the walkers info on google, pics etc, and it seems a possible goer if dry weather.

It won't be all rideable for sure, but any prior would be good.

Rich
fatbikephil

Re: Trotternish Traverse.

Post by fatbikephil »

The singletrack behind the Quirang from the wee road over to Uig down to Flodigarry is supposed to be fun but a lot of road riding to get there. Off piste on skye is a bit of a dubious prospect as its either impenetrable heather / bog or a rock face so if you go for it mind and take plenty photos. If your on skye the Sligachan to Camasunary bay trail is a must. Most do it as a there and back again but you can do a circuit back via a bit of the elgol road then a trail that heads north up strath mor to luib. This will be boggy when wet but is fun when dry (ie now!) I did this circuit in an easy short day on the fat bike and bagged some quality beach riding into the bargain. Another nice circuit is from just outside Broadford a couple of k up the elgol road - there is an old ROW down to Boreaig on Loch eishort (an old settlement now ruined), along the coast to suishnish (also abandoned) and back via the road.

Richpips

Post by Richpips »

If your on skye the Sligachan to Camasunary bay trail is a must.
I've done the Sligachan to Camusunary loop on my CX bike. :wink:
Another nice circuit is from just outside Broadford a couple of k up the elgol road - there is an old ROW down to Boreaig on Loch eishort (an old settlement now ruined), along the coast to suishnish (also abandoned) and back via the road.
Yep, that's already pencilled in.
Off piste on skye is a bit of a dubious prospect as its either impenetrable heather / bog or a rock face
Yep, there doesn't seem to be lots, and yes, there'll be road, but generally there isn't much traffic.

The route I have knocked up is ~300K, it'd make a good weekend ride I reckon.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I walked it recently. More fun. It's mostly trackless. Very boggy around Bioda Bhuide. Most climbs too steep to ride, descents would be fun, but no tracks over long stretches (I always feel bad riding in such places - therefore I try to avoid them).

After back (not bike! ;-)) packing across Skye and through and onto the Cuillins, I'd suggest that area - less folk - real singletracks. Sligachan's a good place to start/end, got to love the vistas (even from the camping ground) and bar.
Quiraing's full of tourists and the trail from the small pass (road to Uig) to Flodigarry looked like fun to ride (if you don't mind some exposure) but just so bloody short. To Avoid tourists go early or late in the day. Can't understand why mags praise it...
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

It's mostly trackless. Very boggy around Bioda Bhuide. Most climbs too steep to ride, descents would be fun, but no tracks over long stretches (I always feel bad riding in such places - therefore I try to avoid them).
I'm of the same mind, I will probably not bother then. Thanks for the info.