Lakland 200

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Lakland 200

Post by Richpips »

I thought prior to riding it, that maybe the Lakeand 200 woldn't be hard enough as a qualifier for the HTR550. :lol:

http://sometimesridesbikes.blogspot.com ... e-itt.html

Rich
FLV

Re: Lakland 200

Post by FLV »

Very well done rich.
I've riden all the route in parts a few years ago, all in one go is a big ask though!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Very well done rich.
I've riden all the route in parts a few years ago, all in one go is a big ask though!
Thanks Dave. I knew a great deal of the route, probably a weeks worth of normal rides.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Fantastic stuff Rich!
I need to get out there and do more..
A lot more.
slarge

Post by slarge »

It's a great route. Thoroughly enjoyed the bits I did last year - a return trip is on the cards at some point.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

That was a good write up - it looks like a fun route and one I'm looking forward to riding.

I can empathise with the mis-reading a map and not expecting a big ascent - sounds like my normal riding!
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

Great write up. Black Sail pass is still imprinted on my mind from last summer. The worst part is thinking after reaching the valley floor that you'll get a break from carrying for a while. Then you reach the next ascent. I really want to do it again as I ran out of time last year and finished on road. I need to go again, so I don't need to go again.

Photos are beautiful.
atk

Post by atk »

Nice write up. Will to be riding a slight variation of this in the next couple of weeks, over 3 days though! Fingers crossed for some good weather...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm starting to think Mr Goldsmith has something against pedalling :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote:I'm starting to think Mr Goldsmith has something against pedalling :wink:
We might be saying the same about you come October 12th. :-P
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

composite wrote:
s8tannorm wrote:I'm starting to think Mr Goldsmith has something against pedalling :wink:
We might be saying the same about you come October 12th. :-P
"you haven't been out mountain biking if you have not carried and pushed your bike for a considerable amount of time."
That's how we have it here in cow country... I believe Alan lived in Switzerland for a few years.
atk

Post by atk »

I can see what you mean about needing good weather. Rode from Staverly to Coniston in the pouring rain, riding was generally good, only a couple of slippy slate and a bit of a push up an impromptu river near Grizedale.

Day 2 was the complete opposite, sunny, hot and ended up being more pushing than riding. It was boggy coming off Walna Scar road before looping around and down to Seathwaite. The section after Birks (Hardknott Wood maybe?!) was very wet too. Boot to Burnmoor Tarn started fine and also got considerably boggier on the way up.

Looking back, I'm glad it was roasting hot and pretty dry over Black Sail Pass and Scarth Gap. Pushing the bikes up and down both was a lot of effort, would have been utterly reckless on our part to try it if things were slippy up there. Decided to abandon the route after a night in Buttermere, heading to Keswick and then onto Penrith in order to make it back and clean up before attending a wedding.

Packed minimally but as the original intention was 3-4 nights a couple of extra layers and nice-to-haves crept in. Would definitely consider trying the route again but with kit for a single-night only (and definitely a lower gear ratio!).