Another HT550 Video

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

Re: Another HT550 Video

Post by Dave Barter »

You should do it again with chamois cream and sudo cream as you clearly have the abilty to do the whole route
I'm going to. But let's be clear as I say in the video the arse was a secondary excuse (also I was creamed to the hilt, it was the shorts that caused the problem). I need to get my head round the long periods of shiteness a bit better than I currently do. I think if I was a bit better mentally prepared I could have pushed the arse pain into a corner and got on with it. So I've lined up a whole series of mini challenges to better prepare myself. The first of which was a 17 hour non-stop ride this weekend to work on fatigue management which I am now trying to recover from! Plan is to do the Cairngorms/Lakeland ITT's and then I think I've sorted myself out enter next year's race. Otherwise at least go back and do the second half.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Matt

Post by Matt »

Enjoyed the total 'fucking' irrevarence.

:cool:

Oh and Endura MTB overshoes are basically just landfill and totally pointless unless you really need something to flap about on top of your shoes rather than under the toe.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I liked that :cool:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Dave Barter wrote:The first of which was a 17 hour non-stop ride this weekend to work on fatigue management which I am now trying to recover from! Plan is to do the Cairngorms/Lakeland ITT's and then I think I've sorted myself out enter next year's race. Otherwise at least go back and do the second half.
:-bd
Stick to that plan, sounds grand.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

My way of dealing with the real nadgery trails is to not look at the clock and just pick away at them bit by bit - it'll be done when its done. When it gets really grim, I just think about the alternative - being stuck in the office staring at a fecking computer....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was creamed to the hilt
I'm really struggling with that image. The harder I try not to think about it the more vivid the mental image becomes.
May the bridges you burn light your way
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I said this on fb already, but great video.

I personally had one moment in Torridon where sweary words were directed at the route organiser - I'd describe it as climbing up a hill path lifting the bike up rocks. F-ing horrible throughout.

I had many moments of negativity - I found that these simply meant I was hungry, and to ask myself if I still felt the same after thirty minutes and a load of food.

You made a great pace right up to the scratch - definitely go back and do it next year. I'll be there on the start line again too.
FLV

Post by FLV »

brilliant film, very raw and honest.
Those long pushes became affectionately known in my mind as 'a Goldsmith special stage'
To this day, every carry I do, I remind myself it could be worse..... could be a Goldsmith stage

I finished (right with Alpinum) last year and quit for a few reasons on day 1 this year. I can relate very well to the ups and downs, and the sore arse very well.
I spent the last 2 days of 5 last year promising myself assos shorts and a short travel full suspension bike.

I've since bought and sold the bike, but never yet invested in the shorts....
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

s8tannorm wrote:
I was creamed to the hilt
I'm really struggling with that image. The harder I try not to think about it the more vivid the mental image becomes.

Hardly surprising . . . . .you seemed to struggle a lot with the word 'moist'. . . . In fact you may be in the wrong profession if you are unsettled by double entendres . . . . . Many spanked riders talking about their long, hard and wet rides must result in you resorting to brain bleach on a regular basis :lol:

Edit: to busy lowering the tone I forgot to say - brilliant video!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

FLV wrote:I spent the last 2 days of 5 last year promising myself assos shorts and a short travel full suspension bike.
:shock:

I remember you watching the suspension before the climb into Glen Affric - saying something like "nice how the suspension’s working for you, looks comfy“.

Thing is, I have a short travel susser and Assos pants...
Still it hurt...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

you seemed to struggle a lot with the word 'moist'
I'm sorry but ... Dave talking about being 'creamed to the hilt' and you saying words like 'moist' have very different affects and produce polar opposite images :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

FLV wrote:
'a Goldsmith special stage'
I like this phrase. Although at the same time, I hate it with every part of my being. I lost it on the climb into Coire Lair in Torridon, shouting insults at Mr G for making me drag my bike up something that would probably be a mountaineering route in winter and a summer classic scramble. I think he could probably hear me despite being about a day ahead at that point...

The descent made up for it all though.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I had some correspondance (late '13) with Alan about a more fun descent and recommended dropping down to Achnashellach. There is a price for most decent descents :wink: My girlfriend and I actually hiked over that very pass on Boxing Day '12. Didn't need crampons or axes :wink:

After all it's mountain biking. And those Goldsmith specials are - in my point of view - at the very core of MTB.

Alan's route is artwork. The way it takes you through Scotland is admirable.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Alpinum wrote:
After all it's mountain biking. And those Goldsmith specials are - in my point of view - at the very core of MTB.

Alan's route is artwork. The way it takes you through Scotland is admirable.
Completely Agree.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Artwork?

Tracey Emin style or Constable?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Jackson Pollock.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
slarge

Post by slarge »

You mean "in the eye of the beholder," - I agree - these Goldsmith trails are definitely something you either get, or you don't!
Ian

Post by Ian »

If it was all hike a bike there wouldn't be any point taking the bike, but as Alpinum says the way the route passes through Scotland ensures it passes through some impressive terrain.
"After hardship comes ease" :grin:
It doesn't seek to avoid the difficult bits, but neither does it go out of its way to find them. In between you are rewarded with some real gems. For the distance, the truly difficult parts make up a comparatively small %, but the two combined ensure it ranks as a proper tough outing.

I've rambled. Sorry. As you were ;)
slarge

Post by slarge »

Ian, can't you just have a good moan like everyone else? The only good thing about all this hike a bike is the moaning afterwards! :lol:
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Just got round to watching this brilliant Video music was ace :grin:
Trying to ride bikes.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

slarge wrote:Artwork?

Tracey Emin style or Constable?
Pyro wrote:Jackson Pollock.
The one and only Goldsmith. An Original :-bd
composite

Post by composite »

Great video Dave really enjoyed it. The sense of hardship and achievement really comes through.

This has really inspired to me to start talking to camera in my videos, literally telling the story adds a lot. Well done. :smile:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thanks all I maybe going to the Cairngorms this weekend if the planets/work/Mum's operation align so expect another sweary video soon.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Are you doing the Cairngorms Loop this weekend? I'm doing it with two others the weekend after if you fancy it?

Fewer horrible push sections than the HTR, but that's not to say there are none of them...

My previous comments on the Goldsmith sections perhaps don't express the fact I enjoyed them all immensely, with hindsight at least.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'm 50/50 at the moment Alasdair as my Mum is under the knife today and I may ahve to do a lot of parental caring. Can't do the weekend after due to a stupid bloody wedding that I have to attend.