Islay Fat Bike Tour

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

99percentchimp

Islay Fat Bike Tour

Post by 99percentchimp »

Following on from a thread started by SteveM last year on UK Fatbikes forum on coastal bivvying, I suggested Islay might have some good possbilities - thought I'd better put my money where my post was so I went up last week for a crack at the planned route, with no idea if this was a 'goer'. Thanks to Steve for sowing the seeds of the idea.

My work has been nuts recently so I only got round to final planning for this a week or so before. Massive apologies to Summittoppler as he was up for coming but we couldn't quite sort times and dates - shame as it would have been right up his Strasse! Sorry again Jeff!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percent ... 798650483/

Anyway, last Wednesday evening I drove up late to Kennacraig on the Kintyre and crashed in the van for the night after hasty packing. Made the 0700 sailing which I hoped would give me about 3.5 days before the Sunday return at 1300 I was planning to make. I arrived in Port Elen on the south coast with a view to circum-navigating as much of the cast as possible and visiting the handily placed 8-9 distilleries in the process.

I crossed the Oa and joined the 7km beach of Laggan Bay at the campsite at Kintra.

ImageIslay-Fat-Bike-7 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

A few river crossing on the way up and a cycel round the Laggan Point got me to Bowmore. Distillery visit, brew stop (shops if you need them) then a bit of road work to Bridgeend (woods out of the drizzle that was setting in) followed by beachs and turf to Bruichladdich. Nice coffee and cake and craich in Debbies then a visit and tour of the distillery hiding from the rain. Very hospitable folk and some great whisky.

Late afternoon was down to Port Charlotte and over the Rhinns to Kilchiaran where a track leads over to Machir Bay and a another pristine beach to cycle on. Up to Kilchoman to see the celtic cross and on past distillery no. 3 to Gruinart and north to camp at Ardnave Point for the night with views of the Paps of Jura. I had planned on crossing from Sanaigmore to Ardnave - looks doable but the weather wasn't right this time.

ImageIslay-Fat-Bike-31 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

Day 2 I thought would be the crux of the route. Back down and round Loch Gruniart and onto the north coast via farm tracks and beachs. These eventually disappear and a day of following deer track and beachs begins. This bit was hard work scrabbling up and down some of the cliffs of the raised beaches but the coastal scenery was fantastic. I worked my way north east past Sgairail and Mala Bholsa, turning east past Port Chotain ond onto the remote beach at Bagh an Da Dhorius - I saw no one all day - just deer, birds and seals. Clear views of Oronsay, Colonsay and Mull all day!.

ImageIslay-Fat-Bike-51 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

ImageIslay-Fat-Bike-55 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

ImageIslay-Fat-Bike-64 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

I wanted to make sure I could clear this coast that evening as the forecast for Friday was bad so I camped at Rubh a' Mhail on the NE point of Islay on Friday night - great view of the Paps of Jura.

ImageIslay-Fat-Bike-84 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

Following morning at 0600 I followed the quad bike track route used by the light house residents south to visit the distilleries at Bunnahabhain and Caol Ila as the wether got bad. I spent afternoon in Port Askaig hiding form the thunder storms, sorting some drive train issues (chain ring bolts) and had a great local pint and lunch in the pub.

ImageIslay-Fat-Bike-90 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

Once the rain looked like it might clear I made a break for the bothy on the east coast, An Cladach, getting soaked on the way around Loch Ballygrant and down through the Lossit Estate to the coast. Quite a lot of this coast is very rideable (esp. if you are better rider then me - easy!), I had to wade a few swollen crossings and changed into a pair of fell shoes a couple of time for tricky carry/scramble sections.

ImageIslay-Fat-Bike-97 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

An Cladach bothy is excellent - one of the best I've ever stayed in. Peaceful and empty on a Saturday night - most likely only due to the weather.

ImageIslay-Fat-Bike-122 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

Sunday saw a very early start as I had no idea, once commited to this section of coast, whether I'd make the ferry early afternoon. Again lots of this was rideable down to McArthur's Head and the lighthouse. I climbed the steps to the lighthouse (for the views mainly along the sound of Islay) but regretted the push/carry across Beinn na Caillich Beag - I'd recommend looking at the undercliff if the tide is right - possible better option than the hillside above.

Nice ride along the beach to the 'bothy' (don't plan to stay here) at Proaig but the final push was the ankle deep bogs from here to the 'end of hostilities' at Ardtalla. This added a bit of a delay (as well as one puncture below McArthurs Head).

ImageIslay-Fat-Bike-131 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr

Nice morning of improving weather at Kildalton Cross (1300 years old) saw me drop into all three final distilleries - Ardbeg has a very good visitors center and they are very cyclist friendly. I made it the ferry with 10 minutes to spare. Treated myself to big fish and chips on the ferry before the long drive home.

I would do this again any time - a great and varied route with a wilderness feel in many parts. The distilleries were a nice bonus but the location of the shops round the route means it could be done very light weight. I wouldn't leave it much later than early June as the bracken will be chest height and make picking out the deer trods and rocks very hard when trying the true off road sections. Midges weren't too bad 'cos of the coastal breeze but make sure you check for ticks - several on me on my return.... nice!

Anyone want any pointers or info let me know. Will be planning to return next spring with a trip to either Jura or Colonsay thrown in. Anyone welcome to join in the fun - it's why I got a fatty :-bd
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Chew

Re: Islay Fat Bike Tour

Post by Chew »

Great trip Mark

Love the pictures :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That looks lovely ... just out of interest and this is a genuine question. How much of what you rode required a fat bike? Could a 'normal' bike have coped okay or would it have been hard(er) work?
May the bridges you burn light your way
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Good question Stu... a very mixed route but I purposely sought out the bits that the bike was more suited to such as beaches (some were firm sand and would have been fine on a normal MTB), raised beaches (gravel to large cobbles where the fat bike was good) and lots of boggy sections where I was definitely riding for longer. The road section were a bit slower but I tried to minimise these and rode the beach next to the road often. It was as easy to carry (up/down cliff paths and really boggy/tussocky sections) as any other bike I have - I've tried to build it pretty light. Wheels were only out once to climb down one cliff (relaying all the bits)! About 170km over 3 days with some good long completely trackless sections. It was just fun to see what it (and I) could do!
It was a great ice breaker too - got me into lots of conversations when in civilisation (like "where's the engine?" :roll: )
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

vaguely exciting pictures, great write up. Need to head that way at some point
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Chew wrote:Great trip Mark

Love the pictures :cool:
+1 :shock: Amazing

What camera were you using?
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

RobMac wrote: What camera were you using?
Panasonic DMC-GX1
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Correct Zippy... Compact and seems to be robust. I shoot in RAW and post process a bit in Lightroom (learing all the time!) Thanks for the comments.... this one was my favourite shot leaving the bothy early last Sunday - nice light early in the morning as Saturdays downpour was clearing northwards over Jura.

Islay-Fat-Bike-122 by 99percentchimp, on Flickr
Zonc

Post by Zonc »

Great images! Thanks. Lots of good memories. I lived and guided there for 10years. Fat bikes did not exist back then. I wish they did - would have definitely used one . It was IMHO a good choice - especially when wet and along stoney beaches. If there is a dry spell then 29ers are ideal. Way back then I only had a SS 26". Did a lot of bivving and coastal cave dwelling but often had to share with wild goats ! Plenty of places to explore but chose you time carefully - deer rutting and culls/hunting trips with high powered rifles. Always worth checking with local estate offices. They are always helpful if you ask first .
The route along the west coast is a must do despite some hike-a-bike parts. Lots if wildlife including Golden and Sea Eagles, Red Deer and Otters. Finally dinnae forget Debbie's at Bruichladdich - great wee store and coffee hoose!
Thanks again for sharing!
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

Cheers Zonc (and a big welcome to the forum)... Must have been great being there for that 10 years - very friendly place! I did spent a happy couple of hours in Debbies - brilliant cake and coffee!
Questions - did you spend much time on the coast of Jura (the far north west coast doesn't look bike friendly (unless you like a good long carry on very rough terrain!!) but the west coast further south looks good (similar to Islay) and there are several bothies to aim for on the north side of Loch Tarbert too... I feel a pack raft test coming one too!. I like the idea of trying to get up the west coast to the Astors house at Glenbattrick and round the south shore of Loch Tarbert. Loads of massive raised beaches too.

Looks like loads of 'good' quad bike tracks across the southern part of northern Jura across to the bothies. A bit like the last trip, but on steroids, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the pointers on the estate offices too - I was working on the assumption that at this time of year there wouldn't be any stalking - thinking of going back up later in the year and I'd double check then as I know there is a lot of deer (and I assume punters with big guns) on Jura.
Zonc

Post by Zonc »

That's good.
I know Jura well too. Guiding and more fly fishing.

Jura is extremely remote so be aware of any casivac situation is a major undertaking.

Stalking takes place from End of Jly through to February - culling of Wildgoats then tales place and of course there is the general shooting activities as well. So I always check with the local Estate office.

The area on the mainland Argyll is fab for riding as well. Midges can be the deils own so be aware and bring plenty if skin so soft!

Go for it!

Z