Coast & Castles North - Edinburgh to Aberdeen

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dan_K

Coast & Castles North - Edinburgh to Aberdeen

Post by Dan_K »

Last weekend, I set off with a mate up to Edinburgh to cycle Sustrans Coast & Castles north route from Edinburgh to Aberdeen.

The route itself is pretty flat, bar a few hills and steady drags. It's a nice route, mainly tarmac with the odd gravel section (Kinross and along from Montrose). It's a nice scenic route with plenty of towns along the way to stop off at. A cross bike or road bike with sturdy tyres is ideal for the route. My mate had 25mm road tyres and had a couple of punctures.

Kit wise, I travelled my lightest yet - SMD Lunar Solo, Neoair Xlite, Exped pillow, Lifeventure Downlight 660 bag, 1 pair riding kit, shorts, T shirt and socks for off the bike (forgot to pack undies so went commando!) Montane Fireball smock and Montane single track jacket, tools etc on bike. All carried in 2 dry bags, deter frame bag and a montane bat pack.

We camped at campsites to make things slightly less daunting for my mate who's first trip it was. This worked well as we were able to leave the bikes locked up at the site and head into town for dinner and drinks. Train connections were great (they run the length of the route). On the Sunday night, we grabbed a train back into Edinburgh and stayed in a hostel by the station which meant that we could do some sightseeing on the Monday before returning home.

Day 1 we rode from Edinburgh to Kinross (approx 35 miles), day 2 was 80 miles from Kinross to Montrose and day 3 around 45 miles into Aberdeen:

ImageIMAG0312 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1192 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1206 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1190 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1213 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1195 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

ImageIMAG0317 by DKNWHY, on Flickr

More pictures on my flickr stream:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYxzauP
FLV

Re: Coast & Castles North - Edinburgh to Aberdeen

Post by FLV »

very nice. All looks very civilized, no carrying loaded bikes up mountains or anything!
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Do you have your route on Strava or whatever? I have planned a one-dayer 126mile road loop Edinburgh / Tay bridge / Edinburgh based on the coast and castles route. Wondered how it compared
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

@flv wouldn't say we were civilised but it was a nice relaxing break!

@jamiep pm me your email address and I'll send you the gpx.