Morocco in Sep ... any interest?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Re: Morocco in Sep ... any interest?

Post by Ray Young »

That's looking good Gari, very similar to the one I planned all those years ago.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Just wanted to confirm my continued interest. Slim chance I will go somewhere else but I need to sort that out quickly. I suppose my only worry is keeping up ok so daily average distances or time on bike may be an issue. Don't want everybody waiting for me all the time.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just wanted to confirm my continued interest. Slim chance I will go somewhere else but I need to sort that out quickly. I suppose my only worry is keeping up ok so daily average distances or time on bike may be an issue. Don't want everybody waiting for me all the time.
I think you ride at a similar pace to Chew and me Kevin.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chew

Post by Chew »

I think you ride at a similar pace to Chew and me Kevin
I was going to say the exact same thing. If anyone was going to put a spurt on they would be waiting for all 3 of us :wink:

Checked with work and the 20th is good with me :-bd
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

still interested here as well

and I can guarantee I'll be at the back
composite

Post by composite »

By the way does anyone who is up for this trip speak any French?
Chew

Post by Chew »

composite wrote:By the way does anyone who is up for this trip speak any French?
A bit of schoolboy French, which is generally enough to get me through the basics. Smiling and pointing gets you a long was as well :grin:
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Muslim country + alcohol might not be easy ... Mpolo and Faraway Visions had a few issues with this.
We did find alcohol. Paint shops or chemists stock it. It was labelled as alcool a brulee in a green heineken bottle. I would say buy plenty when you find it.

Stu, you mentioned using taxis and buses! Perhaps I should write about that bit of the trip. Not as straightforward as you might imagine.

As for speaking french - I would highly recommend learning some especially food names. Quite often there are no menus so you need to know what you are being offered or at least ask for what you want. Even if you can't see an item that you want, if you can say what it is, the shopkeepers will run off and get it somewhere else for you. It's quite the shopping experience.
composite

Post by composite »

Farawayvisions wrote:
Muslim country + alcohol might not be easy ... Mpolo and Faraway Visions had a few issues with this.
We did find alcohol. Paint shops or chemists stock it. It was labelled as alcool a brulee in a green heineken bottle. I would say buy plenty when you find it.

Stu, you mentioned using taxis and buses! Perhaps I should write about that bit of the trip. Not as straightforward as you might imagine.

As for speaking french - I would highly recommend learning some especially food names. Quite often there are no menus so you need to know what you are being offered or at least ask for what you want. Even if you can't see an item that you want, if you can say what it is, the shopkeepers will run off and get it somewhere else for you. It's quite the shopping experience.
What's Earl Grey and scones in French? :wink:
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

plenty of tea in Morocco but with mint and plenty of sugar which is required. no scones but fresh cooked doughnuts and pancake like affairs called msimmen
composite

Post by composite »

I'm not going to bother learning what mint tea is... :???: I think I can find some room for some tea bags in my gear. :smile:
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Composite, I think you should give mint tea a try at least but I'll admit to bringing tea bags for the bivvy nights and a spot of lunch on the roadside. I'm not a fan of dried milk though. So you'll be wanting to ask for hot water in french. :lol:
Mpolo

Post by Mpolo »

Composite you´ll be missing out
the a la menthe
composite

Post by composite »

I get that its a local delicacy and all that but I'm really not a fan of mint anything to be honest. :???:
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'm having to bail out of this now, hopefully spending August in Iceland, so I'll be skint financially and at the brownie point bank, sorry to be a let down :-/
composite

Post by composite »

Actually whats going on with this are we any closer to committing to dates and flights? Dare I ask if you have had time to work on the route Stu? :-P
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Any progress? Me and a mate are still interested. If it doesn't happen want to try something else, (faraway visions Wild Atlantic Way ride being considered!)
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Is it too late to show an interest in this?

There's an outside possibility i could make it, would have to take plenty of P20 though!
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
composite

Post by composite »

I have some personal problems combined with it being a bit close to the off without knowing what might be happening that mean I'm out.

If something maybe gets arranged for later in the year or early next year then I'm still interested.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Firstly apologies for going quiet on this. I've had confirmation that Sep is out of the window for me ... however, it's still somewhere I'd like to go, so will continue (really, really slowly) to put something together for whenever.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote: put something together for whenever.
Whenever sounds good to me, as of March 2015, I will have some proper actual free time :lol:
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Blackhound wrote:Any progress? Me and a mate are still interested. If it doesn't happen want to try something else, (faraway visions Wild Atlantic Way ride being considered!)
Blackhound, although it pains me to say this, I would stick with Morocco as it is cheap, got really interesting culture and there is much in the way of remoteness. It's a lot drier than Ireland.
Chew

Post by Chew »

No worries.

Still on my list of places to go so i'm sure we can sort something out for 2015 :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »