HT550 - The Phil Simcock story.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

HT550 - The Phil Simcock story.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Part 1 of Phils HT550 report can be found here ... don't panic, he hasn't called it 'The Phil Simcock Story' and it isn't an exclusive in todays soar-away sun either :wink:

http://teamjmc.jmc.it/2014/06/how-phil- ... chapter-1/
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Re: HT550 - The Phil Simcock story.

Post by fatbikephil »

A good read, but I'm slightly embarrassed to see that my pace on the first 40 miles upset Phils race plan! If I'd known I'd have said as I passed him 'Don't worry my plan is to blow up in 50 miles time and then scratch at the end of day 2....'
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

Ian

Post by Ian »

Good read so far :-bd
Ian

Post by Ian »

Part 3 is here: http://bikepackersmagazine.com/highland ... port-pt-3/

This bit made me laugh:
I looked at my watch and I had been asleep for an hour, lay next to my bike, on my back, in the pouring rain. It must have looked as if I had been shot.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

These last few miles just seemed to take forever. I made it to Bridge of Orchy, filled my water bottle for the last time and headed to the finish. I knew there would be no fanfare or grandstand finish. I just wanted to see my family. As I came down the trail towards Tyndrum, I saw my two daughters playing on their scooters and my wife soaking up the morning sun. I had ridden in some amazing places for the last four days, but this was the most beautiful sight of the whole trip. I reached the finish, climbed of the bike and straight away received my prize – a big family bear hug. The pain and suffering was all worth it!
After all that effort to be so happy with, what some might think, so "little".

Bravo :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Fantastic stuff ... if reading that doesn't put you off, nothing will :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

s8tannorm wrote:Fantastic stuff ... if reading that doesn't put you off, nothing will :wink:
Oh Bugger, that hasn't put me off :|

That's been a good read, I enjoyed that. Lets see what happens over the next couple of years and see if I can make it reality. Failing that, can always do it at a more leisurely pace...
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Amazing.

I just wonder if there'll ever be day when I see a rocky, steep and technical descent, am able to push my body and mind to the limit, and end up with a smile on my face!

I'd better start training my body in earnest - I'll start with fish and chips, a steak and kidney pie, mushy peas and a coffee.
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

I like the sound of doing it …… but with mates at a nice comfortable pace

Great read
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Excellent story - interesting reading his comments on the weather - it looks like he missed Sundays rain as he was ahead of it!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:Excellent story - interesting reading his comments on the weather - it looks like he missed Sundays rain as he was ahead of it!
Where were you when it hit? I woke up in my bivi a few miles beyond Blackburn and it rained for a few hours, but it was fine by the time I hit Cannich and was just mist on the climb to the reservoir. It turned into a nice day for a while too.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

AlasdairMc wrote:
htrider wrote:Excellent story - interesting reading his comments on the weather - it looks like he missed Sundays rain as he was ahead of it!
Where were you when it hit? I woke up in my bivi a few miles beyond Blackburn and it rained for a few hours, but it was fine by the time I hit Cannich and was just mist on the climb to the reservoir. It turned into a nice day for a while too.
100m out of Fort Augustus at 545am on Sunday - I was chuffed to get me tent down dry - rained continuously until Contin at 1pm. Eased off a bit and the sun came out for a while but as I descended towards Deanich Lodge past Bear Gryll's extreme survival course (eh?) I ran straight into further high speed dreich, and then heavy rain - this is what finished me off in end and caused me to scratch just before Oykel Br.