approx 150 miles per week, reet hilly
No votes
Bloody loads you bunch of wusses....
No votes

Total votes: 28
FLV

Commute by bike, How far, how often

Post by FLV »

I'm interested in how far, in miles and climbs, and how often people commute to work.

No other reasons than being nosey / curious to compare it to my own situation.

I've gone with weekly mileage, as I think its the totals that count overall.

I've done a couple of commutes and am trying to organise myself to do it twice, then three times a week when the weathers nice.

Mine is 32-34 miles each way, 760m of ups on the way, 860m on the way back (over 2-3 climbs approx each way) as it basically crosses the penines. I'd be nervous about the roads in the winter but with enough bright lights I guess it'd be ok.
Zippy

Re: Commute by bike, How far, how often

Post by Zippy »

I was doing 23miles each way, 4 days a week. Doing half that at the mo (drive half way, ride other half) whilst I'm in knee rehab mode. In the flatlands though, under 200m of climbing.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Does my twice weekly 10-mile grocery run count? I use my touring bike - four panniers and sometimes a box on the rack if it's a dog food week.
I'm just going outside ...
jBay

Post by jBay »

6 miles return couple times a week but some significant climbs.

sometimes do a longer loop in of 25miles
Ian

Post by Ian »

I walk to work
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

6 miles each way, but it is flat. I do it every day of the week year round and thankfully have a shower in work.

Ive recently started using the canal path rather than battling with cars on the road. Much more pleasurable.
DanLear

Post by DanLear »

A flatish (500ft elevation according to Strava) 16 mile round trip 2-3 times a week...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

About 10 miles each way and no clue about the elevation. TBH I haven't done it for ages as I have been overcome with the small PITAs associated with family life, job commitments etc that make commuting either theoretical or practically more awkward.

I accept it's a pathetic excuse :oops:
slarge

Post by slarge »

19km each way and around 180m climbing, more noticeable on the way home for some reason. Used to be able to do it in 35 mins, now more like 40. I would like to think the hills have got steeper, but in reality I it may be that I have got older.....
composite

Post by composite »

13miles a day, 5 days a week.
chris n

Post by chris n »

20 fairly flat each way, up to 4 days a week when I was fit and had time but now I'm lucky to manage once a month. :oops:

I'm lucky cos I've got a shower at work and secure storage for the bike, and I tend to take clothes in by car so I don't need to carry as much on the bike.
barney

Post by barney »

Mines only 12 miles per day (round trip) so I bought myself Charge Plug SS, really great as there is almost no hills and its as comfortable as a big soft armchair !

We're really lucky because we have lockers, showers, basement secure parking and even a tumble dryer!
Wait for me...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Worth noting, planning the recovery time can be fairly crucial. When I was fit, doing the miles over winter, by Thursday (doing 5 days work in 4 days mon-thurs to make up for day release on a friday), I;d be pretty pooped on the way home on thurs + carrying the clothes, non optimum nutrition etc. etc.

Summer it's easy, doing it over winter, especially when you have a car (isn't you commute Snake Pass too!?) take a bit of will power. Same route day in, day out gets a bit boring too - although I've got over this by calling it mental training :geek:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Worth noting, planning the recovery time can be fairly crucial. When I was fit, doing the miles over winter, by Thursday (doing 5 days work in 4 days mon-thurs to make up for day release on a friday), I;d be pretty pooped on the way home on thurs + carrying the clothes, non optimum nutrition etc. etc.

Summer it's easy, doing it over winter, especially when you have a car (isn't you commute Snake Pass too!?) take a bit of will power. Same route day in, day out gets a bit boring too - although I've got over this by calling it mental training :geek:

Also worth noting, the majority of "training" for my first go at BB200 (and associated time) was done pretty much through commuting, so it can broadly work as a steady baseline fitness :wink:
FLV

Post by FLV »

In the sunshine, 80% of my route would be cracking. The rest, city roads so not so good.

I should be able to get set up and give it a go a few times from next week.

its too much of a time commitment to do it daily, being 2 hours each way, not to mention energy!

edit*
I could do a half way situation I guess, wouldnt be too hard to organise
ton

Post by ton »

30 miles per day at present. 6 days a week.
doing 500 or over per month since jan 1st.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

20 miles in hilly but downhill overall. 23 miles back, hillier and uphill over all. I try and do it three times a week but usually end up taking the train for part of the journey one way on one or two days. Great way of keeping the miles up in winter plus I treat going in as a time trial so I tend to go full gas - great for power and stamina training!
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Everyday, 0.5 each way but come home for lunch so 10 miles a week. :oops:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

10km each way, but I do it 5 days a week on a singlespeed. Makes it easier having no car! I'll only get the bus when it's icey
psling

Post by psling »

Between 12.5 to 18.5km each way depending on routes chosen, either all on rural roads or 75% off-road through forest and river valley. Work is roughly 250m lower than home; great riding in, an effort riding home after a hard day! Manage it on average twice a week - sometimes 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes not at all. Keep a clean change of clothes at work, just carry lunch and underwear on commute in a saddlebag. Only problem for me is that some mornings I really don't want to stop riding... :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

My place of work is 12.7 miles away.
It is about 200 metres higher than where I live with a two or three minor ups and downs in between.
I have a choice of off road or on road routes.
I ride to work 4 days a week all year round.
Been hit by two cars, crashed on black ice, been half drowned in the winter and the summer, battled gale force headwinds, fallen trees, a foot of snow and today
the road had melted in places.
When I drive in, I am miserable.
Grubby little urchin.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

40 miles a day (20 each way), 4 or 5 times per week during the day light months.
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Usually about 100 reet hilly as an average. Should tick over to 2500 total so far for the year after this weekend
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

Once in 2 years, its wasn't the distance (40 mile each way) that put me off it was the traffic - it felt like I had a target painted on my back, especially on the way in.

So now its either drive or most likely work from home.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Gosh

I've tried to do my 16 mile each way commute once a week. I mostly manage it (today is my cycling day)

I thought that was quite impressive, clearly not compared with all you lot! I cycle about 50 miles a week on average