new pump??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

new pump??

Post by Mike »

So having had my old topeak for yrs it finally broke this morning ( see my bivy of the month ) before i buy one which one can people recommend for size weight and effectiveness??
Bearbonesnorm

Re: new pump??

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mountain Morph's the best pump I've had / have. Not small or light but as you've discovered today, neither of those things really matter when you're on top of a mountain.

It's a shame I wasn't carrying it when I was last out with you ... I'm sure it would have performed better than the broken mini thing I was carrying :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

I have this pump Stu and yes its vaguely exciting but i never take it bikepacking due to its size, i only use it when im day riding ( and it doesnt fit in my wingnut either )

Haha...... that freebe you found would of been a blessing this morning i telll you, would of at least got me down the hill faster :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I see they do a smaller version of the Morph.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... -prod11315
May the bridges you burn light your way
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Blackburn MtnAir.

Well made, substantial, very ergo handle and delivers a good volume of air.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

This has a good volume and pressure... not owned long enough to comment on longevity but seems good - fits in frame bag/wingnut pack

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Truflo-Minitrac ... _64435.htm
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

If you want a reliable mini-pump maybe try the Leyzne Drive Mini. It's nice and compact and pretty light and mine has lasted through three years and its works a treat. Thing I like best about these pumps is the little hose hidden inside the barrel. Means no more bent valve stems and you just flip it around to do schrader/presta. It does take ages to get a tyre to pressure but Im not too bothered given how small, light, reliable and useable it is.
I'm just going outside ...
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

having tried far too many useless tiny pumps i have settled on the lezyne HV drive medium. Cheap, light and pumps tyres up quick enough
There is a whole family of them but the posher ones are heavier.
RobMac

Post by RobMac »

Ive never used a mini-pump yet that I thought was worth buying.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I use a Lezyne pump, just the model that looks like an old school pump / dildo. Does me. I've got a Topeak thing that Stu mentions. Its great and lives in my gear bag in the car, wouldn't consider carrying it on a ride though. Each to their own :cool:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Road Morph my on road bike
Mountain Morphy on my MTB

Yes they're large, but its almost like an insurance policy against getting punctures. I'm worried that if I switch to a smaller pump I'll actually need to use it more

Mountain Morph fits inside my frame, but I put it on the fork leg for the WRT as I needed the space for another water bottle. I've just kept it like that since
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

benp1 wrote:.... I'm worried that if I switch to a smaller pump I'll actually need to use it more ....
Err, is that like astrology or something? :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Disclaimer - I work at Evans and this is our own-brand pump from a reputed maker in Taiwan.
Last spring I went through 5 good mini-pumps to be sure I had a light, simple one that moved enough air easily enough to seat TLR tyres trailside. This was what I took on the TDR and needed to rely on to re-seat my tyres twice, so whether it's the best is debateable but I chose to rely on it and it did well under pressure (ha lame gag)
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fwe ... p-ec061858
I discarded my 2nd Topeak (Good but a complex head - have had failures there with a masterblaster that left me stranded), a Spesh of similar size (good but a chunk heavier and less effective volume to pressure / piston area combo), a cheap plastic Pro that works really well (very light, effective but maybe less durable despite being 4 yrs old already) and a classic Blackburn (very good but just doesn't move as much air as easily as the FWE).
Mike

Post by Mike »

Jameso u win im opting to go with ur recommendation. Uv a branch in Sheffield?
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote:Mountain Morph's the best pump I've had / have. Not small or light but as you've discovered today, neither of those things really matter when you're on top of a mountain.

It's a shame I wasn't carrying it when I was last out with you ... I'm sure it would have performed better than the broken mini thing I was carrying :wink:
I had one of these for a while. It was good until one cold, wet, winter evening when I was pumping away (ooo er) and the whole pump bit came away from the main body. Fortunately I had got enough air in already I could roll home. Never had a pump fail like that before.
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

I used to use a Mountain Morph, but it does take up a hell of a lot of space.

Since I was hardly getting any punctures, I decided to save some space with a Lezyne alloy drive. It works well for me, doesn't take up much space, and even went with me on the Iditarod where I had some big tyres to inflate.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Another Lezyne Alloy drive mini pump here. Best mini pump for MTB tyres I've used.

One tip though, if you've got removable valve cores, make sure they're on tight and don't crank the lezyne hose up really tight. I've seen a couple of people unscrew their valve cores with them now. Easily avoided if your wheels are properly setup and you don't crank up the hose onto the valve though.

Stu.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Change of heart im now buying one of these lezyne pumps tbey sound like they fit the bill nicely cheers all for the input