Freak failures

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: Freak failures

Post by FLV »

A kind offer thanks!
Really appreciated.

I'm on 29er wheels, it's my only geared hub (not technically accurate). I have a few options.
jameso

Post by jameso »

FLV, is that a Hope hub? Looks like it. Seems a fair number of Hopes go like that.
(and I'd agree that their clamps are poor, mine hasn't broken, it was just functionally near-useless.)
Ian

Post by Ian »

FLV wrote:Dammit.
You have my sympathy. Could have been worse; could have happened on the Cairngorms Loop or the HTR...

I'm starting to think my next wheelset won't be a Hope one...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Ian wrote:
You have my sympathy. Could have been worse; could have happened on the Cairngorms Loop or the HTR...

Not a lot of choice for the Fatties though are there? :cry:

Haven't cracked a hub shell but I have cracked a superstar switch alloy freehub by the pawls. Only noticed as I took it out for a clean up and regrease. £20 for a replacement in steel. (Second hand wheels of indeterminate mileage btw).
FLV

Post by FLV »

jameso wrote:FLV, is that a Hope hub? Looks like it. Seems a fair number of Hopes go like that.
It is, pro2 evo. About 18months old.

Ian wrote:

I was basically checking over the bike and was intending to grease the pawls when I found that. I'd rather find it now than in in the middle of the highlands. I dont envy you for when yours went at all.

I have 3 rear hope hubs, 2 are SS ones. I wont be buying another hope one, I may even go so far as to sell the SS ones.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Not a lot of choice for the Fatties though are there?
A load of companies in Taiwan are making them now, OE hubs on Surly, Trek, Norco etc so more choices coming online soon I expect. KT Quando are worth looking up.
I wont be buying another hope one, I may even go so far as to sell the SS ones.
Same here, been looking for a SS Pro 2 equivalent for longer trips away, just using the other 2 SS rears for local stuff. The hub has always been my main concern on longer rides but I'd expected them to last more than 18 months.
FLV

Post by FLV »

jameso wrote:
I wont be buying another hope one, I may even go so far as to sell the SS ones.
Same here, been looking for a SS Pro 2 equivalent for longer trips away, just using the other 2 SS rears for local stuff. The hub has always been my main concern on longer rides but I'd expected them to last more than 18 months.
Indeed. It hasnt even been in use for all that time. I would say at best its done 1000 miles (rough guess).

I ride my SS more locally but dont have the legs to go SS on the HT

I shall be investigating rear SS hubs in the coming weeks / months
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Not sure if you intend to but get in touch with Hope and they may well warranty it. This might not be what you want but at worse you have a spare hub / something to flog to offset whaatever you want.

All my Hope gear has been fine including hubs and QRs. They probably don't get the use of some of you folks. Conversely I've had a legendary Salsa QR seatclamp stop gripping properly. I just class it in "sh1t happens" rather than "Hope (or others) are sh1t" category :cool:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Ian wrote: Within the last week I've had a frame go
What happened to it Ian?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Cracked weld around headtube, leading to a hairline crack in the down tube.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Halfway along the Tollie path last week I snapped a tubeless valve off inside my pump. It sheared where the core screws into the outer body, leaving the nipply bit stuck inside my pump and still attached by the splindly bit (these are all the correct technical terms) to the valve stump. I had to snap it off to free my pump from the wheel!

Fortunately, it held enough air to get me back to camp, where a nice lady lent me a track pump which, to my surprise, worked fine with the stump of the valve that was left.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Charlie, had this happen before and learnt the hard way - Removable valve cores is what I now use to avoid this (so small and light can carry a few spare too)
Both the Stans valve, for tubeless, and some Schwalbe inner tubes have valve core's that you can replace without faffing about taking the tyre off
2924 miles per Gallon
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Mart, it was a removable core but the part with the flats on sheared off flush with the outer so there was no way of removing it out on the trail. Or at least not one I could think of.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Rear wheel QR snapped a mile outside Kinlochleven. A full house to house search of the town found me a rather worn and battered replacement that cost me twenty quid :shock: It's now hung up in the workshop as a reminder.

Could have been a very long carry had it happened somewhere else.
May the bridges you burn light your way
burty

Post by burty »

rear hub today , 2 month old hope 2evo , bearings in the free hub split and have been ground up into a lovely grey paste,
ground most of the ratchet off and marked al the inside of the hub and axel ,
I only noticed as I could not index the gears properly and on close inspection realized the cassette and free hub had being pushed
across into the frame .
back on the 26" ss me thinks for a while
Mart

Post by Mart »

Charliecres wrote:removable core but the part with the flats on sheared off flush with the outer
Ouch
2924 miles per Gallon
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

Once had the outer part of the parallelogram of a rear mech shear for no apparent reason, was totally fooked. Fortunately only a three mile scoot / walk back home. Also had a Control Tech 'sealed' bearing jockey wheel explode on me in the middle of the North York Moors, which resulted in my first foray into singlespeeding...
outnabout

Post by outnabout »

The worst for me was my frame failing 25 miles into this years WRT- completely sheared across the top tube, about 5mm in front of the seat tube weld :shock: , that stopped the adventure for me , though I did manage a to eat a surprising amount of provisions waiting for the recovery...
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

My Sabbath Ti seatpost sheared off at the seatclamp tonight. luckily i was on a quiet lane and i had a soft if ungainly landing in the dirt.
Mostly my pride hurt. Any suggestions for a comfy replacement that isn't made of cheese

Back in the early 90's i had a set of "orange" branded alloy bars go, sheared next to the stem. That didn't end as well, broken arm and hand

A couple of cracked frames an Orange Prestige and a Litespeed lookout Mountain

I have had a few lightweight Q/Rs go too. So i use the steel allen key skewers. Stronger, lighter and cheaper than a Q/R. The only example i can think of of mr Bontragers famous phrase being wrong.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Oof. That could have stung...
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

About to start a huge loop in the Cairngorms, getting the train from Blair Atholl to Aviemore with fully loaded bikes. We noticed my mates seatpost was bit bent, "good job we noticed that before we got into the middle of nowhere". 5 minutes later the tyre went bang, seems the sidewall had gone and the tube popped out.

Quick trip to Bothy bikes sorted everything out but glad it didn't happen miles from anywhere.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Well. I finally got around to sending my hub back to hope.

They replaced the shell, and whilst they were at it, they replaced the freehub shell too (it was worn and deformed due to cassette use).
Whilst its not nice that it broke, they turned it round quick and replaced other parts for free. Good service.
RE8ELD0G

Post by RE8ELD0G »

I once (many years ago)
had a complete frame failure, i was going down a hill onto a flat surface at speed
when i hit the flat there was a loud crack and the next thing i was on my face skidding along the grass.
The headset with forks and handlebar had snapped away from the frame..............
Shoddy welding, and the bike was quite old and been ridden hard.
Its a fine line between a cuddle........
And holding her down so she cant get away!

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

This er happened commuting the other week. :???: £2 for a new bearing later and it's going again :-bd

Pedal Bearings by zippyonline, on Flickr