Reverse a GPX route

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

Reverse a GPX route

Post by ericrobo »

I did the Mary Towneley Loop last Thursday and Garmin was saying "Off-route" until I stopped the course. I think the GPX route was going anti-clockwise, and I was going clockwise.

Anybody have any good ideas regarding reversing a GPX route ?

(tried the Google stuff but mainly people who don't have much idea throwing in their pence worth)
FLV

Re: Reverse a GPX route

Post by FLV »

Load it into www.bikehike.co.uk

theres a reverse route button on the menu on the right (or left, depending on which map is prominent)

Save the route.

As an aside, though I dont know what unit you use, the following applies to most Garmins I think.
I tend to use tracks rather than routes. Its just a purple line then and it dosnt try to make you follow it or tell you if you're off route. I find its a little less invasive and dosnt use batteries as fast as its not trying to correct me.
composite

Post by composite »

FLV wrote:Load it into http://www.bikehike.co.uk

theres a reverse route button on the menu on the right (or left, depending on which map is prominent)

Save the route.

As an aside, though I dont know what unit you use, the following applies to most Garmins I think.
I tend to use tracks rather than routes. Its just a purple line then and it dosnt try to make you follow it or tell you if you're off route. I find its a little less invasive and dosnt use batteries as fast as its not trying to correct me.
On the Garmin 800 tracks are good if you don't want turn by turn navigation or points of interest (which can be useful to mark in stuff like water stops). "Off course warnings" on the Edge800 are separate to what type of file the gpx is, meaning that you can switch "off course warnings" on and off as a separate option be they routes or tracks.

+1 for using bikehike to reverse the route though. It does an actual reverse of the the data in the file, as opposed the to the reverse route option on ridewithGPS (for example) which tries to calculate a route in a sat nav style. Fine on road but off road it simply doesn't work properly even if you have "bikepaths" map selected.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

FLV, thanks for the tip(s). It's a Garmin Edge 800. I've reversed it so hopefully it works.. probably won't know till I next do the MTL...(it's the gates you know... better to do it with at least two people, last Thursday two of us started, but after 3 miles my mate was on all fours vomiting (not at the prospect of having to do another 42 miles and a whole lot of climbing, but apparently he had caught Novovirus), so I ended up doing it on my own... again !