Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Highland trail 550!!

Post by fatbikephil »

Ian

Post by Ian »

Here's my write up: http://ianbarrington.com/2014/06/09/hig ... -race-550/

Also includes a few stills from the video, which is currently uploading to Vimeo as I type...
FLV

Post by FLV »

good and interesting write up Ian, hope you're on the mend and feeling better.

Look forward to the vid.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I posted the video in the Trips and Adventures forum. Perhaps I should have put it here for sake if continuity... :???:
FLV

Post by FLV »

s'alright, I got a mail from the blog too.

I'll be viewing at lunch time over a brew. :grin:
Chew

Post by Chew »

EPIC video Ian :cool:

Difficult decision to bail, but theres always next year :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Really, really enjoyed that, superb.

I know it doesn't help but you really couldn't have picked a more iconic backdrop to telling everyone you were pulling out :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

I really enjoyed reading that. Some fab photos as well - it's great to see some of the trails. I'll try to have a look at the video later.

Was your Shand designed with the Jones bars in mind, Ian? I've ridden a Jones, and love the complete package, but haven't been sure that the bars would work with a 'normal' mountain bike - in terms of top tube length etc.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Thanks, really enjoyed the vid. Beautiful scenery. We were out doing a 4 day trip about a day behind you up to the Devils Staircase. Descent down to Kinlochleven raised a smile from familiar grin inducing terrain. Sounds like the prep for next year is starting already!

Stu.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Chew wrote:EPIC video Ian :cool:

Difficult decision to bail, but theres always next year :wink:
Thanks Chew. There is, and will be, next year. :cool:
s8tannorm wrote:Really, really enjoyed that, superb.

I know it doesn't help but you really couldn't have picked a more iconic backdrop to telling everyone you were pulling out :-bd
Thanks. I guess shooting that bit outside Tesco's in Ullapool wouldn't have had quite the same impact ;)
deejayen wrote:Was your Shand designed with the Jones bars in mind, Ian? I've ridden a Jones, and love the complete package, but haven't been sure that the bars would work with a 'normal' mountain bike - in terms of top tube length etc.
It had a slightly longer top tube than my previous bike (the Shand is 600mm, effective), and I run a 90mm stem and the handling is spot on. The front end of the Shand is a touch higher than a "normal" 29er, I guess somewhere between that and, say, a drop-bar 29er. It works really well with the 80mm fork up front.
u02sgb wrote:Thanks, really enjoyed the vid. Beautiful scenery. We were out doing a 4 day trip about a day behind you up to the Devils Staircase. Descent down to Kinlochleven raised a smile from familiar grin inducing terrain. Sounds like the prep for next year is starting already!
Took me a while to get into the descents, with emphasis always on not going flat out and risk a puncture (or ripped tyre, for instance...) resulting in more lost time than you'd gained by (trying) to ride fast. Still, very enjoyable descents. Bealach Horn was just amazing though. 18 mins of going downhill :cool:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Excellent video Ian, most of that I seem to remember! And some of it I want to forget. Your bit about jacking it in were almost certainly echoed by 25 or so others!
And bits of me are famous!!
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Thanks, Ian. That's helpful.

Sadly, my internet connection is too slow to watch your video, even when I select the non HD option. Vimeo never works for me. I did see a little bit at the start, which looked great. You seemed to be blasting over the rough terrain - I don't think I'd ever have the skill or bottle for that!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

deejayen wrote: Sadly, my internet connection is too slow to watch your video, even when I select the non HD option.
Ditto :???: And I live in the crowded part of the UK where the infrastructure should cope :roll:

Read the blog Ian, saw 20 juddery seconds of your video, shall attempt to download and then watch one evening :cool: I'm liking all the HT550 stories.
Calzzak

Post by Calzzak »

Finally got round to putting some words to an epic race: http://wp.me/p4Ew0r-R

It's a long one!
slarge

Post by slarge »

Nice one Andy, really interesting write up. I can't believe how driven you were and the distances travelled and time on the bike!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Enjoyed that. Knowing someone might only be an hour or less behind can drive you to pull some pretty incredible efforts out of the bag.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

It looks like Dries Brouckaert will be done later today.

http://trackleaders.com/highland14i.php ... ckaert_ITT