Trans Am Bike Race

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blackhound

Re: Trans Am Bike Race

Post by Blackhound »

Mike has said previously he does not go in for SPoT 'games' regarding turning on and off. SO I am inclined to agree with dodgy readings.

Sorry to here Peta McSharry is out, she seemed in good shape. I am also watching Joel Martinez from Barcelona who is aiming for 32 days. We met each other a lot on the TD in 2011 and ended up riding to the finish together from Cuba. His pace would be similar to mine I expect, perhaps he a little quicker.
Chew

Post by Chew »

100 miles a day seems doable over that distance, but not 350 that Mike and Jason are pulling out :shock:

Looks like Mike is an hour ahead, but Jason is keeping him honest. Cant imagine that pace is sustainable for over a week. Someone must have to crack at some point?
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Chew wrote:100 miles a day seems doable over that distance, but not 350 that Mike and Jason are
It's crazy :o
Trying to ride bikes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I thought they'd be doing 280, maybe 300. 350 is quite amazing. RAAM winners are on ~350 a day in solos but they're supported to some extent, over 3000 miles rather than 4200.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

This pace is making the US seem not very wide!
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Jason lane is on a liquid only diet :shock: this will not end well
Trying to ride bikes.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

I am in Sweden just now so only just getting updates in last 12 hours or so. Mike told me a while ago he intended to get to McKenzie Pass on the first day but I was not sure how far that was or quite how close he got to it - I may check later.

I know the bit South of Astoria into Tillamook and the bit round the coast. The coast road is busy and I did not enjoy it at all but from Tillamook it was much quieter and there was a lovely camp site at the Southern end of the section before returning on to the 101. It had bunnies:

[imgImage101_0179 by blackhound59, on Flickr][/img]
jameso

Post by jameso »

jay91 wrote:Jason lane is on a liquid only diet :shock: this will not end well
Like gels and energy drinks, or liquidated proper food? Any idea how he does that as he goes? Seems to be working so far..
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Blackhound wrote: The coast road is busy and I did not enjoy it at all but from Tillamook it was much quieter and there was a lovely camp site at the Southern end of the section before returning on to the 101. It had bunnies:
Tillamook, land of cheese, trees and ocean breeze! :lol:
jay91

Post by jay91 »

jameso wrote:
Like gels and energy drinks, or liquidated proper food? Any idea how he does that as he goes? Seems to be working so far..
The guys filming it posted on fb "Jason Lane just picked up 2 'heavy' bags of powder. He's using a liquid only nutrition plan. Insane!!!
Trying to ride bikes.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

jay91 wrote:
jameso wrote:
The guys filming it posted on fb "Jason Lane just picked up 2 'heavy' bags of powder. He's using a liquid only nutrition plan. Insane!!!
How is that self-supported then? I thought stashes were out of bounds, or has he mapped a load of body building shops?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
jameso

Post by jameso »

2 'heavy' bags of powder
Oh aye .. that's how to stay awake : ) Just kidding. Interesting tactic, sounds grim though. But as much as a double burger meal appeals on a big ride I can't imagine it's actually much good for you so could be a good plan.

Drops are allowed in self-supported races as long as they're posted to and collected from a Post Office so staying within the 'use of services available to all' ethics, or at least that's how I understood the general rules.
composite

Post by composite »

jameso wrote:
2 'heavy' bags of powder
Drops are allowed in self-supported races as long as they're posted to and collected from a Post Office so staying within the 'use of services available to all' ethics, or at least that's how I understood the general rules.
I was about to post the same thing, that's how I have always interpreted the rules.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Jason's on the move again ~13 miles behind Mike (assuming Mikes Spot is where he stopped last night). We'll see if he wakes Mike when he passes
jameso

Post by jameso »

Looking at the 'last updated' times just now, Mike's a few hrs ahead of Jason I think, if his spot only updates as he stops. Updated 6.45 ago and that would be a luxury sleep : )

What's interesting is seeing Jason's time-speed graph, looks like he's done 70+ hrs on only 2 short sleeps and a couple of other stops that may be food or power naps. He's not slow and he's not sleeping much and Mike's still got a few hrs over him. Can't tell how long Mike's been stopped each time, not long probably. Ed's still riding really well too, within 100km of Jason. Imagine being capable of that at 23.. Impressive stuff. A different skill set but I wonder if ultra racing will become like DH where younger riders come through with no preconceptions of what's 'normal' and just go after what the experienced guys do. By the time they're mid-30s the accumulated endurance and experience would be unbeatable.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Mikes just popped up in Lolo, Montana. 61 miles ahead of Jason
Mart

Post by Mart »

1,000 Miles in just over 3 days :shock:
2924 miles per Gallon
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

jameso wrote:
But as much as a double burger meal appeals on a big ride I can't imagine it's actually much good for you so could be a good plan.

Even if this diet helps him physically i'm not sure what it will do for his moral as a monotonous diet gets boring very quickly. Tucking into an American size plate of junk food could at times be just the sort of pick me up you need.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Agreed. You can go a long way powered by dreams of Mexican food, steak and ale pie or ice cream! Is he actually on that diet for the whole of the ride or just a supplement?

"New JL-Industries Milesmasher Nutrition, Coming Soon! (For Animals Only)" : )
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Mart wrote:1,000 Miles in just over 3 days :shock:
Tommy Godwin used to do that sort of mileage in 1939 .. every day. Scroll down the link below to see his July figures

http://phased.co.uk/tommy-godwin-faq/
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Mike is screaming along. Tracker just updated, he's about 140k ahead of Jason Lane!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

The pace is high! Two brits in the top 3, one of them at 23, this is insane :shock:
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Seems like Mike had a good long rest last night (unless it's his tracker). Reckon he got a motel in Dillon for the night, as he was off course a bit, now he's back on course, but only a while after Jason had hit the road again. Going on the raceflow (not accurate) jason had 1/2 as much rest as Mike and is still ~100k behind.
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

Mikes now got more than 100 miles on the next bloke
He's a machine!
FLV

Post by FLV »

so if im reading it right, it looks like Ed Pickup is have a fairly good (relatively speaking) rest at night and keeping good pace the rest of the time.

Go Ed. Reel in Jason :grin: