Caldera Cone Where to Buy

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slackman99

Caldera Cone Where to Buy

Post by slackman99 »

Afternoon all.

I 'think', having read plenty of reviews, and looking at the fact i'm only really after boiling water during bivi rides (to just rehydrate food and make a cup of tea), that i've settled on a Caldera Cone set up. I like the simplicity of the set up, and the fact that it's stable (something that a canister top stove isn't a lot of the time), and also that the windscreen doesn't need to be secured on windy days (as the pot of water will hold it down).

I see there's one in the classifieds (left a post but no email in profile for me to contact direct), but does anyone know where else I could get one in the UK if I can't get hold of the seller, or are they US imports only?
slackman99

Re: Caldera Cone Where to Buy

Post by slackman99 »

Thanks Nick!

I'll take a look, although not sure my MYOG skills are up to a Caldera!
Ian

Post by Ian »

I have the post script file for making your own caldera style templates if anyone needs a copy.

Sourcing aluminium foil of the correct thickness is one of the drawbacks to making your own.
Whilst its a bit more expensive, Ti foil appears to be more readily available though.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

FFIW, the caldera cone is a great choice. It's been my go to stove for over a year now and has proven faultless.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Interested in making one of the flissure caldera cones if you could send me a copy of the postscript file please Ian. I've got an Alpkit myti mug and an MSR kettle so making seems better than buying!

stuartbrock (at) hotmail (dot) com

Ta,
Stu.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Template sent. Note also that I don't put as many holes in it as the template shows, only around one side at the bottom and a single row around the top.

Outside boil test, with lid by ianbarrington, on Flickr

Also, for general info, the foil you can get from here is a touch on the fragile side. It works and is easy to cut, but beware the possibility of it melting if you get a bit of wind from the wrong direction...

Caldera Clone - flame damage by ianbarrington, on Flickr
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi Ian, could you send me the file too please, ta :)

nickgilling at gmail
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

What makes you guys favour this kind of stove?
Is it purely weight?

I've got a meths burner with stand but find it quite messy to use in the fact that the pan/cup ends up sooty and I had the meths leak in my bag.
I've just got an MSR just to make life simpler (and I like buying stuff).

To be fair, I haven't done any overnight bivvys or multi day trips with the meths stove but it's been a bit of a faff when i've stopped off to use it on walks. Figure that the MSR will get more use as it's more convenient to use on a day to day basis.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nick, template sent.
What makes you guys favour this kind of stove?
Is it purely weight?
Mainly personal preference, but also weight, lack of bulk, quiet in use, good in the very cold weather and so on.
This lot weighs just shy of 220g (before fuel) but most importantly all packs into the largest pan (550ml). The Caldera Clone isn't pictured, but will fit nicely into the mug as it is in two parts.

Breakfast by ianbarrington, on Flickr
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Plus, having to carry around significant dead weight in either a gas canister or Sigg type fuel bottle is another downside.

For me the beauty of the Caldera is how simple/realiable it is. No blooming to wait for and very efficient as all the heat is largely trapped in the cone.
didnothingfatal

Post by didnothingfatal »

I've picked a full setup recently, been most impressed with it so far. Weight of my setup is silly, and fuel efficiency is amazing.
slackman99

Post by slackman99 »

didnothing,

That's just what I wanted to hear :)