Highland trail 550!!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Calzzak

Re: Highland trail 550!!

Post by Calzzak »

Closer to Poolewe there will most probably be some boggy bits and formidable puddles. The very last one being a cow dung bog.
I bivied just before the cow dung bog, it did not make for a pleasant early morning ride! Looks like Iona has made it to Poolewe now though, Tollie Path next (not fun) then onto the road and Torridon (very fun).

The longer you are out the the more the hardships are prolonged and given the amount of scratches I don't feel a cut off time is all that relevant. Just completing the course is a huge achievement!

Andrew H
jameso

Post by jameso »

The longer you are out the the more the hardships are prolonged and given the amount of scratches I don't feel a cut off time is all that relevant. Just completing the course is a huge achievement!
Totally agree - cut-offs are just to give entrants a basis to go on I think. Once you're riding + racing who cares, it's your own ride and 8 days, 9 days, it all counts.
Great ride Andrew, was watching you and Tom on the SSs and keeping that close to Phil's pace must've been tough. Wouldn't fancy my chances there at all : ) You seemed to be gaining some ground over the last day or 2 compared to the first.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Alasdair now down in Fort Augustus with a welcomed spin down the canal side.

Rich is offroute at the end of Glen Affric. Hopefully nothing serious.
touch

Post by touch »

Chew wrote:Rich is offroute at the end of Glen Affric. Hopefully nothing serious.
Looks like he just missed the turn, back on track now.

which brings me on to something i'v been wondering: how are people navigating out there? All done by GPS with the gpx route loaded? I imagine that taking maps to cover the entire route would add a fair amount of weight+bulk?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I imagine that taking maps to cover the entire route would add a fair amount of weight+bulk?
I think last year I worked out you'd need something like 18 1:50k Landrangers ... obviously this year you'd need a few more.
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

Everyone had gps's this year and a GPx route is sent out prior to the event. I also had the whole route printed on OS maps in case of GPS failure - at 1:65k it came to 28 sheets, but double sided that makes 14 pieces of A4. A few including me also had the whole area at 1:250k in case of emergency. This was 3 pages of cut down A3 road atlas.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just went for a run up to the NW on the motorbike as part of my recovery from my failed attempt. Entire NW Scotland baking in Sunshine! Got a text from Iona to say she's having a great time and doesn't care about the 8 day cut off!
gairym

Post by gairym »

htrider wrote:Got a text from Iona to say she's having a great time and doesn't care about the 8 day cut off!
That's the spirit!
ton

Post by ton »

fantastic attitude....... :cool:
Mart

Post by Mart »

That's Alasdair coming down the devils staircase. On the last leg. :)
2924 miles per Gallon
Chew

Post by Chew »

Alasdair finished earlier today
Rich is on the ski centre climb, so only a few hours from finishing

Markus has just left Fort William and is on track for a sub 8 day finish. Smash it in one or rest with an early start?

Ionas heading down to Dornie
ton

Post by ton »

just seem richpipps has finished.........well done matey...... :cool:
Chew

Post by Chew »

ton wrote:just seem richpipps has finished.........well done matey...... :cool:
Great ride :cool:
Also looks like Markus is going to smash it one :shock: . Approaching the top of Devils staircase after starting from the YHA in Glen Affric.
deejayen

Post by deejayen »

Great stuff. Well done, everyone. I bet it'll take them a while to settle back in to 'civilisation'!

Just one dot to keep an eye on once Markus crosses the line.
Gari

Post by Gari »

"Also looks like Markus is going to smash it one :shock: . Approaching the top of Devils staircase after starting from the YHA in Glen Affric."
that's pretty hardcore, not an easy shift at all that.........good effort. :-bd
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Gari wrote:"Also looks like Markus is going to smash it one :shock: . Approaching the top of Devils staircase after starting from the YHA in Glen Affric."
that's pretty hardcore, not an easy shift at all that.........good effort. :-bd
That's a fair stretch, hope he makes/made it! I started at Camban bothy and gave up above Kinlochleven with a triple failure of the ambient light levels, my rear brake and my feet.
kbrembo

Post by kbrembo »

Wow...what a trip!

Well done to all whom entered.

I think the one thing that will echo amongst all riders is the extremity of the terrain and the harshness of the relentless hike a bike and huge climbs.

My plan was none. I basically sat at a pace that I liked and churned that out...i was overtaken lots of times but hey ho let them go....I made my ground by cycling long and steady. On my last day I left Morvich at 5am and didnt stop till I crossed the line in Tyndrum at 0330am next day!

Its amazing what the body can do when you free your mind!

The tough sections were extreme but they were always going to finish, I had an Cuban Fibre Terra Nova tent and the 3-4 hours spent sleeping per night were my goal for each night...it felt like the Hilton in my wee tent in a warm sleeping bag listening to tunes. To be honest it was a real pleasure at the end of a hard day
I was going to stay in Carnmore bothy in fisherfield, where I woke Alan Goldsmith up...sorry Alan..but soon as I had a look round I bailed into the tent..... Dave dropped into the bothy an hour later but the roof was loose and was like a machine gun going off all night!

I crashed in the bothy at the bottom of Morvich and Dave also dropped in there about 1hr later after we had a nic meal and pint in Dornie!
Myself,Dave and Alan crossed paths through the whole trip....it was always good to have a quick bit of banter along the route.

I just ate what I could where I could but always "real food"...I missed a couple of shops by 2 mins! The pie shop in Lochinver was the highlight..OMG

From day 2 on, my mind was clear and nothing was going to stop me finishing, which I did and got 7th place

My bike, a rigid salsa elmariachi was perfect with a 3" knard up front,Flow Ex, 2x10 slx and deore brakes....zero mechanicals

I had a laminated card...you will laugh but it was from Yoda...star wars Yoda Roll Eyes

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."

My toughest challange was my Mavic boots...I had used them for a few months and likd them....from day 2 the problems started...day 3 ...disaster...the sole came away on both shoes but real bad on the right...I had to cable tie it together...the hassle it caused while hikeing or disingaging was immense. Eventually it pulled all the tendons on my foot...but I was not stopping!

Kit wise.. De-feet woolie boolies...Outstanding
Montane UltraSmock... Outstanding
Devolt Merino Top .... Outstanding
Moa Bib Shorts ...Very Good
Mavic Alpine XL ... Outstandingly Bad....worst kit let down ever
Terra Nova Ultra Cuban Fibre Tent....Superb
OMM Raid 1 sleeping bag... Very Good
Neolite...very good
Exposure Joystick....Brilliant
Endura Slipstream..Brilliant
Planetx Gloves.. Surprisingy Good
Revelate Gear..Outstanding
Alpkit Drybags...Very Good

So anyhow.....the HT was a Journey that took us to some amazing places,meeting amazing people and finding out where your mind and body can go. Incredible
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Chapeau :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

Mucho kudos!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nice one Keith, you looked to be riding a steady tactical race and your result proves it. Somewhat unlike my effort.....
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =10&t=3740

PS - I did say yours and Andy's Mavic shoes looked a bit dodgy being white!

Cheers
Phil C
jameso

Post by jameso »

kbrembo - :shock: I knew there was HAB there but .. congrats on your finish too.
htrider, great write up, really interesting thread. Comment about training / prep info being hard to find for these events is so true, feels like there's a big chunk of wing it / luck / unpredictability in it all. Even if you do find good info from others it may not work for you personally.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Just put my comments on the other thread. I agree with jameso that a lot of luck is involved. You can't plan for everything, you just need to see what happens on the day.

Now just hoping Iona makes it to the finish!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I followed your tyre tracks for days Alasdair, glad to see you made it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Well done Rich, and in fact to all finishers.

Alasdair, It was nice riding with you, on and off, on the first day. Glad to see you make it round in good form.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Richpips wrote:I followed your tyre tracks for days Alasdair, glad to see you made it.
Glad to hear you got around too - was following trackleaders as soon as I hit Tyndrum.

When you say tyre tracks, were you also looking for a set of footprints next to them? I personally got some comfort in finding footprints next to tyre prints as it made me realise that the riders in front of me were walking bits as well! You'll have seen my footprints on a good chunk of the route - for me it was a big walk with my bike for the later days as my legs were shot and climbing became impossible!