Bivvy a month 2014 thread.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: Bivvy a month 2014 thread.

Post by Ian »

5/5 here too. I managed to bivvy down under a veranda in a car park in Blair Atholl. Not the most salubrious of surroundings, but I did get about 7 hours kip. 149 km ridden in something like 13 hours, 5 of which with a broken fatbike. Rode the last 30 yards to car in the morning :wink:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

4/5 for me following the weekend MTB club Go-Ride trip to Cannock Chase. 22 kids, 12 "adults" and just 3 coaches to herd them all made for an interesting long weekend. I abandoned my son to his mate's tent on Sunday night and escaped into the Chase with my tarp and brand-new-never-used-and-utterly-brilliant Borah Gear bivvy bag. I wasnt convinced of the need for a bug net but there were enough winged bitey thingies about to make me very glad for it. The Chase has a terrible rep for doggers and Id been warned to select my spot carefully. So I did. Deep up the north end of the place at the top of a hill. Never heard a peep.
I'm just going outside ...
Mike

Post by Mike »

So im using the WRT as my first May bivy, heres some pics from a great weekend of riding with AW.

We got going around 2pm like most we headed south to climb up and over the first wind farm past Trannon and down into the village of Trefeglwys for a quick coffee stop ( to energise ) whilst here Chews group pasted us. We then caught them up at the second wind farm. We headed south still on some sweet trails before turning east to the kerry ridgeway where we again met up with Chews group. From here we were going to meet them at the ph in Anchor however as we arrived first and the pub was not doing food ( not that id of eaten there anyhow ) we carried on down to the radnorshire arms for chips n coffee before climbing back upto the TCW for the night at a cracking bivy spot id found a few yrs prior and wanted to try. Next morning was met with cold cloud n fog on the hill which soon burnt off. We soon started to meet other riders coming the other way and had a good old chat. Down at the shop in Llanbadarn we found yet more bikers. Coffee, cake and a natter were had. Back on the TCW we headed for home as i had to be back sunday night, I left AW at the main road back in Staylittle and took Stu's advice to ride one hell of an vaguely exciting descent back to the farm. Another WRT is over and much fun was had!!

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That last pic doesn't actually do the steepness or exposure justice, does it? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

:shock: Looks like the edge of the world to me
Shalarim

Post by Shalarim »

Yetiman wrote:We soon started to meet other riders coming the other way and had a good old chat.
Me, BigFace and our friend merv where one of the groups you met coming down from your Bivi point. Nice to put a "name" to a face.
Ian

Post by Ian »

s8tannorm wrote:That last pic doesn't actually do the steepness or exposure justice, does it? :wink:
Enlighten me - where exactly is it? Or is it the singletrack that drops in off the Dylife road?
Chew

Post by Chew »

5/5 with the WRT
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Enlighten me - where exactly is it? Or is it the singletrack that drops in off the Dylife road?
Other side of the valley.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

1/5 with the wrt or 2/5 if you count the 2 nights with chew and lonely harts club :lol: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93806290@N05/14143759952/
Trying to ride bikes.
barney

Post by barney »

5 out of 5 for me... a great WRT last weekend

Wait for me...
Mike

Post by Mike »

So ive lost count now of the bivy's this yr already so heres last nights efforts.

So having had alot of rain and wind the last few days ive been going spare. Last min yesterday i decided to drop Hux a call and drag him out with the temptation of chips n beer in Bewdley. I decided to head out across to Kidderminster via the lanes due to time, called for Hux and off we went down through the woods to the pub! After a beer n chips we bought a can of beer and some chocolate each which Hux kindly carried in his pack. Once we climbed up into the forest we found the spot Hux had his eye on a while back ( we were going to sleep at the spooky hut but fancied a tarp night ). The weather was good and once we arrived at the camp area we set up the tarps and got out the bags. It was about ten when we finished messing with setups. Totally forgetting to drink the beer we decided to hit the sack. It was so pieceful and quiiet in the forest almost as spooky as the hut. Waking to the light and birds this morning at 530 we were met by the lovely MIDGE. So heads back in the bivys, i love my new titanium goat bag its great. We made up camp and headed for a cafe then back to Huxs where i left him and rode so great trails through north worcestershire and via clent hills. I totalled up 51miles.

Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

5/5 for me. Just back from a four-day trip to the Torridon area with my brother.

Day one was Achnashellach to Carnmore causeway via Letterewe. There was a lot of pushing and I managed to slice open my rear brake hose on a rock, which made descending interesting for the rest of the trip. But - wow! - what a place. Next we headed out to Poolewe on fabulous singletrack and back over the Tollie path ( :???: ) before spinning over to Torridon. Day three was an easy one as we got soaked and cold doing the excellent Kenmore to Applecross track and decided to pitch at the campsite there, get a shower and treat ourselves at the Applecross Inn. It rained all night so we decided to stick on the road for our final day. We ground our way up the impressive Bealach na Ba and down the other side into Kishorn where we did some nostalgic mooching as this was where we spent our summer holidays as kids. It was sunny and warm by now and we pootled up the Tarmac to Lochcarron and on to Achnashellach under blue skies. A fabulous trip.

Riding back across London the next morning we were hailed by a chap who'd seen our kit and asked us if we were doing the HTR, as he was doing it for the first time this year. Small world!
composite

Post by composite »

5/5 This maybe where my attempt at the challenge ends, it all depends on if I'm riding again by the end of June. Anyway the 5th one was the Welsh Ride Thing. I have finally got the ride report written up which can be found here: http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/201 ... hing-2014/ along with the full gallery.

Chew

Post by Chew »

composite wrote:5/5 This maybe where my attempt at the challenge ends, it all depends on if I'm riding again by the end of June
Dont despair Neil. It doesnt have to be via bike. Planes, Train or Automobiles are all fine :grin:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'd forgotten that particular hike-a-bike stretch! :lol
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was a little slack during May but got out yesterday / last night. Found a lovely flat spot boarded by a river on one side, a stream on another and a bridleway on another. Woke just before 5am when the rain started then curled back up until 8.00 when it stopped :grin:

Dainiusd

Post by Dainiusd »

Let me guess... its somewhere east from Llandiloes?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Let me guess... its somewhere east from Llandiloes?
Only in the same way that Glasgow's south of Reading :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Three more for May. Two Bothies (Chew's Hut and Suileag), and a hill top in Glen Golly (windy at first, becoming midge infested later).
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Second May bivvy this week. Nights on flanks of Beinn More, just North of Airdrie and between Lockerbie and Gretna.
Got to see start of HTR.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

5/5

I had a wee ride round Torridon, drove out to Red Point, took my rucksack and found a fantastic remote spot looking over to Skye.

Image1-DSC01717 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

More photos and stuff here... http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2014/05/ ... -last.html
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Here's a video from my May camp, 5/5 for me :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRafkn1 ... SKht099rPQ
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Great vid! Enjoyed that and it looked like a good route .
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

Best put up pics as just about on track with 3 this month!