Blisters - protective tape.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Blisters - protective tape.

Post by Richpips »

Does anyone know of a tape that'll stay put when wet.

In spite of wearing in my new shoes to the best of my ability, I can still forsee the possibility of rubbage to my heel when walking.
jameso

Re: Blisters - protective tape.

Post by jameso »

Compeed. Ricky used them on both the HLC and our GR5 ride, they seem to stay on after river crossings and for days on end. He swears by them and always packs a few.
jBay

Post by jBay »

Compeed

not plasters, they crease and make rubbing worse
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Another option for short term fix is duct tape, cut into ovals so as not to catch the corners and let it peel :wink:

Only really a solution if you feel the hotspot and act before it blisters though.

Drew
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Thanks. I'll be getting some compeed. :)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

rich,

I've done a fair bit of fell running and also marshalled the dragons back race - 5 days of running down the centre of wales.

managing blisters in a multi day setting is quite unique. Compeed is generally good for a one day outing as it shields the blister from further friction. but, it traps fluid behind it whichlets preasure build up and leads to significant pain. not good over multi days, although if you know where the rubbing will happen then use it or something similar as a preventative measure.

what we found on day 3 and onwards was that we needed to drain the blisters and use an open weave tape, such as kineisio tape or similar. this worked very well, its made to be very low friction as its designed to be massaged over. it has an open weave so the opened blister can drain through it, reducing pressure build up. it is very flexible and will curve round tight a radius such as a little toe. it stays on really well, the sticky side is fairly 'low tack' but it stick well, but is actually quite easy to remove when you need to.

i would cut it to size then trim the corners round so they wont catch on anything. the only draw back with this method is that it increases the likelihood of infection as the blister is open. but the people we followed up after had no lasting problems.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Compeed are the business. Although expensive, they really work. I used to struggle with blisters on hill walks and compeed was the best thing I ever discovered. Carried one in my wee emergency kit for the last 4 years, had to throw it out last week as it lost its backing tape. Hopefully you won't get the rub.
YetiTony

Post by YetiTony »

I use Zinc tape. By a roll cheap from Boots. Been great on long distance walks and runs. Apply before going out on prone areas.
Always have a roll handy.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Hopefully I'll manage to stop the blisters in the first place with pre-emptive action.

I've bought some compeed (how f'ing much) and some sticky strapping tape.

If the compeed doesn't stay in place on its own the tape will be employed. :wink:
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi rich, like Ian I have seen problems
Caused by compeed. Zinc oxide tape is the best solution in my experience as it doesn't noticeably increase pressure in the shoe and has a very smooth exterior for reduced friction.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm allergic to the glue on Zinc Oxide tape (and normal sticking plasters) :roll: