HT550 Route

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

HT550 Route

Post by Dave Barter »

I've got a week in June when I could set out for 7 days unhindered bike packing. I've re-awakened the idea of doing the HT550 route (or similar) but speaking to a few guys at the WRT they advised that there is a LOT of hike-a-bike. If this is the case, any idea where so I could tinker the route a bit to maybe avoid it.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Chew

Re: HT550 Route

Post by Chew »

The main bits of bike-a-hike are the section through Fisherfield and the section west of Camban Bothy. Both of these are significant

People doing the whole route at a racing speed is going to take 4-6 days, so at a 'touring' pace i'd say double that, but even that that would be long days of riding, just at a slower speed.

If you only have 7 days i'd suggest looking at the northern loops. Start at Ullapool with Fisherfield and then through Glen Affric, but instead of turning south to Fort Augustus, follow the valley to Cannish and rejoin the route north. You can then decide on the new northern loop if you have the time/energy.

Yes still the hike-a-bike sections, but Fisherfield sounds like its worth the effort.
Ian

Post by Ian »

The descent into Fisherfield was difficult, but it has been re-routed this year to mostly landrover track. The lump before Fisherfield (and after Ullapool) is also a big push, though less than an hour if I recall. It can be bypassed I suppose, but bear in mind if you avoid all the hike-a-bike bits, you'll also miss out on some amazing scenery and trails.

The transition from Dornie over to Glen Affric was hard, but one of the highlights of the route for me. The other was Torridon. This years route over Torridon is different to last, with more HAB, but a better descent by all accounts. If you took last years route over here, you'd be fine.

The other bit I'd miss out is the off road between Poolewe and Kinlochewe - push up and very hard/ technical down - neither were especially rewarding.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thanks both, I'm a bit torn as I'd like to get the tick and am comfortable with 100 mile+ days, I reckon I could do it in 6-7 days, I don't tend to do "touring pace" driven by impatience to see what's round the next corner ;-)

Might let the weather decide.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'd agree with Chew and Ian, but if you fancy it, just have at it. You can always short cut and miss the top loop out, effectively doing last years route. though I hear its nice up there