Moel Prysgau - Doethie Valley - Llanwrtyd

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

chris n

Moel Prysgau - Doethie Valley - Llanwrtyd

Post by chris n »

A mate and I want to ride from Moel Prysgau to the Doethie Valley and was looking at various options. Are the forestry tracks in the woods to the west of the bothy, heading south towards Dolgoch then into the Tywi Forest any good? Or should I head out to the phone box to the west and then south following the Camddwr to Soar y Mynydd? We'll be heading to the bothy along the byway from Dolgoch anyway, and didn't really want to retrace our route, but if that's the best way out, that's fine.

Similarly, anyone got any recommendations on routes from Llyn Brianne to Llanwrtyd?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Moel Prysgau - Doethie Valley - Llanwrtyd

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

All the forestry tracks within the forest are pretty good / clear. I wouldn't trust trying to find any of the BW unless the map also shows a track.

The BW that drops down onto the Doethie Valley at SN772515 is a cracker ... I have been told that the farm has changed hands though and they're not too keen on you going through the yard (the map doesn't show the BW going through the farm but everyone used to). IMO it's much better than the Doethie Valley itself ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
chris n

Post by chris n »

Lovely, ta. We'll plan to use the forestry tracks then - should make the going a bit easier too. I'll let you know (if we go - depends on the weather) what that bridleway is like.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Chris & I had a successful ride this weekend. More writeup / pictures might appear when I've got a bit more time.

You were right about the BW dropping down to the Doethie Valley, but the trip along the valley was also pretty good; maybe a little boggy in places (its January so no complaints). The wind made it more exciting at times though.

View from the top looking down the valley

On the way down Stu's bridleway

Doethie valley trail
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

How did you get on with the BW/farm ... did you go through the farmyard or go round it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

No issues, we didn't see anybody.

You did need to go through their yard, but it was very open. It didn't at all feel like you were going through their property, more like you were on a track that happened to go between the house and barn.
chris n

Post by chris n »

It was a good weekend out - we left Llanwrtyd in the rain but it soon cleared up as we headed into the Tywi forest. We dropped back down to the northern end of Llyn Brianne then headed N along the bog to Dolgoch where a guy staying at the hostel offered to fill our bottles. We then headed straight for the bothy and we stopped there for the night instead of bivvying out seeing as it was gusting to 40mph on the tops. Got the fire going and even managed to dry out a bit (after wading through the river four or five times) before bed.

Most of Sunday morning seemed to be into the wind as we wound our way through the Tywi Forest to Soar-y-Mynydd but once we dropped down into the Doethie Valley it was a lot calmer. The singletrack was good fun but I don't think either of us made the most of it - slippy and narrow, I think we were concentrating too hard on not falling into the river to really enjoy it. I'd love to go back there in the summer. Tailwind most of the way back to Llanwrtyd was appreciated, as was the final drop out of the forest from 440m down to 260m in 2km. :D