Keeping sleeping bag dry

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

Keeping sleeping bag dry

Post by ericrobo »

I'm about to set off on the HT560 in a week or so (not doing the event, I want to take in the scenery and so on)...
nearly got everything organised but had my sleeping bag in a bin liner, which is no good because it's too weak.
Wondering what you experts use ? (don't want to increase my weight very much)
Matt

Re: Keeping sleeping bag dry

Post by Matt »

Drybag
Zoglug

Post by Zoglug »

I use the airlok extra from Alpkit.
drain

Post by drain »

The podsac ones are good for sleeping bags / kit that can get a bit damp overnight as it's got eVent at one end, the idea being that moisture 'breathes' out during the day even when packed away. Seems to be effective for me!
Mike

Post by Mike »

I use sea to summit dry bags, they are really lightweight and strong and very waterproof ive never had a wet bag put it that way. Enjoy the HT im still debating whether to ride it begining of June when im off
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I put mine in a Thermarest Neoair Pump Sack inside a 20l Alpkit Airlok Xtra along with bivy bag, clothes, mat and groundsheet. This was attached to my front bars

Its near enough waterproof, can let air out so I can ram the sleeping bag into the dry bag, and then is used to inflate my neoair when I get to camp
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Drybags with an event base (e.g. Sea to Summit or PODSac, there's bound to be others). Handy when stuffing a bag in, particularly down, as the air escapes through the breathable fabric, rather than you creating a balloon.

Personally, and this is not based on any particular experience or knowledge, I'd be sceptical that there's enough air circulation within a bag (with a toghtly stuffed down pit) and differential between in/out for a pit to dry out when inside as Drain suggests. Not ruling it out but just seems unlikely :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I put mine in a Thermarest Neoair Pump Sack inside a 20l Alpkit Airlok Xtra along with bivy bag, clothes, mat and groundsheet. This was attached to my front bars
I'm similar yet different ... sleeping bag goes inside an Exped Schnozzle bag then into an Airlok along with down jacket, hat and sleeping mat. Bivvy bag, groundsheet or anything else which is likely to become damp goes somewhere else.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

SportPursuit are currently doing the 10L eVent drybag for £9.90

http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pro ... /id/474106
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Are they better than a normal silnylon dry bag at twice the price and three times the weight?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I find that the eVent based bags inflate themselves over time ... you start off with everything nicely compressed and they gradually draw air through the eVent and blow themselves up :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Matt

Post by Matt »

Are they better than a normal silnylon dry bag at twice the price and three times the weight?
Ish
I find that the eVent based bags inflate themselves over time ... you start off with everything nicely compressed and they gradually draw air through the eVent and blow themselves up
This is true

Still like mine though for the sleeping bag
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

s8tannorm wrote:I find that the eVent based bags inflate themselves over time ... you start off with everything nicely compressed and they gradually draw air through the eVent and blow themselves up :shock:
Never noticed that but then I can be remarkably unobservant :lol:

I wouldn't bother with a compression version but I do like the lack of wrestling with the event panel. Accept others may view it as a luxury / unnecessary :cool: