Multitool recommendation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ian

Re: Multitool recommendation

Post by Ian »

I use the chain tool off one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... -prod10161
It is also available separately, but at not much less cost. I use this one as it works well with 1/8" chains, which some I've used (like the Ritchey one) aren't tall enough to support the side plates.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Another Topeak Hexus 2 user here, its not let me down in all the trailside fettling ive done
I was wondering about seperates, with a Alfine that needs a 15mm spanner so it soon adds up

A usefull tool is one you can use effectively. In my view, its one area you need to weigh up the cost v quality v robustness v need
Go too light and the tools might not perfrom as you need and maybe break - no use to anyone
Quality tool might live longer but there could be a cost and weight penalties
2924 miles per Gallon
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

This weekend I will be using a Topeak Ratchet Rocket Lite with a Park Tools chain breaker. It's fine.

I also have a Birzman 20 tool with a chain tool included. It is very good unless you want to get in a tight corner when the whole thing is a bit wide. Chain tool works as well.
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

In the past, I used a selection of allen keys stuck into a bit of plastic packing foam, and a chain tool separated out from an old multi-tool (weighs less than specific chain tools).

That worked OK, but I ended up switching to a Topeak Hexus 2 for a number of reasons:

Having exactly what you need for your bike and nothing more means you might not be able to help other people (when guiding, or just being a good samaritan).

Allen keys attached to a (decent) multi-tool give you more comfortable leverage for bolts that have been exposed to my level of bike maintenance.

The nice chromed tools are most rust-resistant than standard allen keys.

IMO Weight saving has to be balanced against what could happen to your trip. If your weight-weenie tool breaks and ends your ride, you probably would have rather carried the extra 100g. If your sleeping bag is 100g lighter than you should have brought and you're uncomfortable, but don't freeze to death in the night, that's a good saving :???:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I use a Toppeak Mini 20 Pro. Very happy with it. I used to have an Alien II but there were too many tools on it I didn't need and the plastic casing got really worn out and all wobbly.
Blah

Post by Blah »

I've always used multi tools, but my WRT bike is singlespeed with an EBB, so need a proper 5mm allen key for that. All bolts are either 4 or 5mm and apart from a chain breaker, I can't think what else I could need.

The only reason I'd take more tools is to be able to help somebody else, as Aidan said.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Here; my mildly geeky input.

Most of the time when casual riding, I use a topeak hexus thing that everyone is talking about.

When trying to shave every gram off, but have everything still working well. I have one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251142493151

Others exist for a lot less, but the quality is questionable coz I ordered one and binned it when I had a closer look (have photos to show what I mean, but I'm at work at the moment). This one I trust the quality.
I then add or take away bits depending on what bike I'm on and what is required. Any bits that don't fit in the tool I string together using tiny neodynium magnets which are really strong and weigh literally nothing and securely hold them together so you don't lose the bits.

The on the chain tool side of things, I have one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... lsrc=aw.ds

I then modify this by removing all the rubber bit and accessories. The pinhole at the end of the tool nicely holds a quick link each side which is then secured with an O-ring. The little notch at the top of the chain tool is then wrapped in insulating tape so I have some of that too.

This is then a fully modular tool, with workshop qualities, I seem to remember each extra tool bit weighs 5g. Overall weight I seem to remember being quite competitive with the superlightweight cheese tools. I used this on the BB200.

I might share some photos if anyone is interested in how it looks.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Zippy wrote: I might share some photos if anyone is interested in how it looks.
Actually, photo's on this post: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... ool#p22955

Except the red bit holder was ditched and the bits are held together with neodynium magnets, and I added some insulating tape to the narrow bit on the chain tool.

I could then hold it together with velcro strip if I wanted, but that adds weight and I just popped it in a small pocket on my top tube bag...
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

The problem i have found with many of the ultralight multitools is that the chain tool is made of cheese
I swapped to a simple 2,3,4,5,6 & T25 tool ( Specialized EMT pro road if i recall ) and carry the head from the Topeak super chain tool ( as shown in Zippys photo above )
I use the stem cap bolt as a handle if i need to use the chain tool.
the whole lot is less than 100g
Aidan

Post by Aidan »

Damnit!

The chain tool on the Hexus 2 is driven by popping off one of the tyre levers from the side of the tool, and that lever has an allen key bolt in it. The allen key bolt just sheared out of the tyre lever while fixing a client's bike on a guided ride. Grrr.

Maybe the old Alien style where it splits in half was a good idea after-all.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I lost my tyre lever with the Allen key on it on mine. It now has a proper Allen key cable tied to it!
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

http://www.walkerscyclingshop.co.uk/pro ... ductID=241
I've just found mine online, highly recommend :-bd
Mart

Post by Mart »

Aidan wrote:Damnit!

The chain tool on the Hexus 2.The allen key bolt just sheared out of the tyre lever
Same just happened to be - might be the plastic loses strength after a while.
You can but replacenents, but Ive lost a bit of confidence in the design (seems weak)

Now on a hunt for another solution. Like the Idea of Zippy seperates
2924 miles per Gallon
Solo

Post by Solo »

I've been carrying a lifeline one from Wiggle with about 14 tools iirc - it has a chain tool on it too. Although I've rarely needed to use it so can't say how good or bad it is and I've never needed the chain tool...yet!

They don't seem to sell the same version now but have this instead:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-profes ... ulti-tool/

Anyone tried one?