Broughton Heights Overnighter.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Broughton Heights Overnighter.

Post by Ray Young »

With the outer Cairngorms Loop looming I thought I should get some loaded miles in, this was an 80 mile overnighter, 65% off road. Bivi spot was lovely which i'd seen on a previous ride. Weather was warm and sunny but overnight temps caused my water filter to freeze up which I have mentioned in another post. First use of my MYOG bivi bag is also mentioned in another post. Due to not taking enough meths I had to decide on either porridge or coffee/muesli bars for breakfast, the coffee won out after I convinced myself that 3 muesli bars and half a packet of liquorice allsorts was enough to get me to the shop 20 miles away. Once breakfast and packing up was done I set off and after two miles at the bottom of a half mile hill I noticed my new tarp was no longer in the monki cage on the fork leg. I turned round and pushed the bike back up the hill where I luckily found the tarp. After re installing it properly I set off down the hill at breakneck speed as i'd already been down it once so knew what was coming. All in all a great two days riding despite the things that went wrong.
Bivi spot at dusk, a full moon came up just as the sun was setting.
ImageBroughton Heights 007 by youngray50, on Flickr

Morning view.
ImageBroughton Heights 006 by youngray50, on Flickr

Track to bivi spot in the morning.
ImageBroughton Heights 011 by youngray50, on Flickr

Drovers road contouring the hill in the background.
ImageBroughton Heights 009 by youngray50, on Flickr

Thieves road, another drovers road, so called due to cattle thieves lying in wait for passing drovers.
ImageBroughton Heights 005 by youngray50, on Flickr
Last edited by Ray Young on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
pushbikemike

Re: Broughton Heights Overnighter.

Post by pushbikemike »

Nice one ray. Riding those hills is still on my list to do. Sorry to hear about the filter.

Starting to feel a little excited about the cairngorm trip.