Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Slacker

Re: WRT 2014

Post by Slacker »

drayman's route
SimonD

Post by SimonD »

Do people still use Paper/laminated maps or are you all on GPS?
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

Simon i use both cant go wrong with map and compass, batts run out fast and then your stuffed ... if your a weight fiend i just cut all outer off and either cut map to size or photo copy
SimonD

Post by SimonD »

WAs thinking of buying laminated ones then just lash to bike save fannying around with map covers.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

SimonD wrote:Do people still use Paper/laminated maps or are you all on GPS?
GPS primarily but print out A4 1:50ks from OSGetamap as a failsafe. :-bd
composite

Post by composite »

johnnystorm wrote:
SimonD wrote:Do people still use Paper/laminated maps or are you all on GPS?
GPS primarily but print out A4 1:50ks from OSGetamap as a failsafe. :-bd
This.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Just under 140 miles around 20,000 of climbing and all check points. My first quick plot, it will need a bit of tweaking. :lol:
But it does sound do-able, might be tempting fate .
What everyone else come up with ??
psling

Post by psling »

This being my first WRT, what actually happens at the GR points? Is there like a punch or something to mark a card or is there some other nefarious device? Ta :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

At each GR there is nothing at all , apart from a view. Sometimes good sometimes not .
psling

Post by psling »

Excellent, thanks for that. It's all about the journey, not just the destination.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Yes that's about right .
The GR are to encourage you to visit certain areas where good riding is to be had.
Although Stuart has sent us to some GR's which where questionable but memorable.
The Monks Trod being one that spings to mind. My friend Nick, waist deep in a bog, having a sense of humour failure, still makes me smile but the Teifi Inn at the end of that long day was our reward.
Great Fun
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

PSsling, don't forget to mark in pubs on your route and tell people which one you plan on visiting. I met up with brothersmith and yetiman last year and made for an enjoyable evening.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Hi Pete, remember me? We met up for a ride in the FoD many years ago which was cut short when my mate's bike died. Hope to see you out there that weekend

Dave Barter
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
psling

Post by psling »

The Monks Trod, definitely one for the middle of a dry summer or a permafrost winter!
Yes, I've already noticed the proximity of some of the GRs to Inns, hic...
Hi Dave, yes - hope to see you there. Must admit I look in on your blog or see you in print every now and again, great stuff.
Blah

Post by Blah »

Entered for a first spot of bivvying :)

Don't suppose anybody's driving up from Bath area with space in the car for small one?
composite

Post by composite »

Slacker wrote:At each GR there is nothing at all , apart from a view. Sometimes good sometimes not .
There are at least 2 which are in the or not category, I won't give it away but a clue: one of them I talk about in my latest ride report from my bothy trip.

Mountain baker and I are looking to get the miles in and aim to do as many check points as poss but hoping to do something social as well.

Trying to meet the flatfishy party where ever they camp for one night and not adverse to hitting a pub for dinner so def leave where you intend to go people. :grin:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I'm from the other side of Bristol.
If you can make it across to Wraxall by 6 am you can have a lift.
Blah

Post by Blah »

Thanks for the offer Flatfishy.

I might struggle to get to yours for 6am but it might be my only option. Could mean an extra night of bivvy somewhere along the way to Wraxall :)
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Who's doing the Lite? Son's exams mean we can only get away for 2 days
Bokonon

Post by Bokonon »

Gilbo71 and myself are riding the lite - see here: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... f=7&t=3357 we've been discussing route via e-mail if you are interested.
Bigface0_0

Post by Bigface0_0 »

Slacker wrote:At each GR there is nothing at all , apart from a view. Sometimes good sometimes not .

Right that’s it, I was told at each checkpoint there's was a busty lovely who, well let’s just say made the journey better?? In the words of dragons den, I’m out..!! (ps only joking and don’t tell the wife :YMBILLY: )) :-bd
BIKE RACING IS LIKE HAVING A MULLET, BUSINESS UP THE FRONT, PARTY IN THE BACK…!!!