Singular Rooster 29+ Kickstater

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BrianP

Singular Rooster 29+ Kickstater

Post by BrianP »

Sam has posted the start for funding his Rooster 29+ project. Guess not enough braze-ons for some but a very clean looking frameset.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... 29-bicycle
Stevemorg

Re: Singular Rooster 29+ Kickstater

Post by Stevemorg »

I've been waiting a few months for this - was about to buy a Swift and decided to wait a little to see what this looked like.

I'm not sure I like the colour but to me the 29er+ does make sense - do I or don't I?
FLV

Post by FLV »

I want one. But the jury is out on sizing.

I'm bang in the middle of the medium / large

*edit
I'm in :cool:
composite

Post by composite »

stevemorg wrote:I've been waiting a few months for this - was about to buy a Swift and decided to wait a little to see what this looked like.

I'm not sure I like the colour but to me the 29er+ does make sense - do I or don't I?
I'm the opposite. I get fat bikes, I don't have one or want one but I get it.
29er+ seems like neither one thing or the other to me. :|
Ian

Post by Ian »

@FLV :-bd

@Composite - if you want to try the Puffin out anytime, let me know :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

29er+ seems like neither one thing or the other to me.
I 'get' both although I've no desire for either. I think that for general UK conditions 29+ makes much more sense than 26" fat does.

Obviously Sam's also realised that this years colour is yellow :grin:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gilbo71

Post by Gilbo71 »

I've got a fat bike and it's easily the most ridden bike I have, it's not the fastest but for all round fun and genuine ride anywhere ability it can't be beat. But I can also see that 29+ does make sense too and could be used for 90% of what a fat bike does, just trying to decide if I need another bike or just get a pair of wheels instead?

It does look good in yellow though.
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote:
29er+ seems like neither one thing or the other to me.
I 'get' both although I've no desire for either. I think that for general UK conditions 29+ makes much more sense than 26" fat does.

Obviously Sam's also realised that this years colour is yellow :grin:
I would agree that I would have thought that 29er+ makes more sense for general UK than a fat bike. I would also say that I think 29er makes more sense than 29er+ in general UK conditions, which is sort of my point... I think.

I get that fat bikes are great for snow and sand (except Ian who seems to use his as a training bike :wink: ) so I understand what they are "for". Of course people use them for other things but that's irrelevant to my understanding of why they exist in the first place.

I don't have the same understanding of 29er+. I don't "get" what the conditions are that the 3" tyre is better than a 2.2/2.4 where the advantages out weigh the draw backs (which I assume are weight and roll resistance and to a lesser extent bugger all choice of tyres and rims).

Of course preference can come into it and fine any one can ride what they like... who cares! But that's not my point.

EDIT: having re-read this I guess preference could be more important than I gave credit for. I suppose a "what they are better for" doesn't really have to exist. Does there need to be anything else other than they are an option for those that like them?

@Ian I would actually love to have a go in all honesty. :-bd
Last edited by composite on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I like the 29+ format. I've already got wheels and 1 big tyre on the front of my salsa.

For long time people have been sticking big tyres on bikes, generally up to a 2.4. Its nice to ride. this just takes it a little further.
I like fat bikes and totally get them (I didnt at one point) but they use quite a few bespoke parts. Which are admittedly widely available.

29+ only needs a wide enough rim and big tyre. Everything else I can swap and change from other bikes. For that reason it makes more sense than a full fat bike for me.

*edit*
Forget all that. Those big 3" tyres make me chuckle. Thats enough for me :grin:
Last edited by FLV on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I would agree that I would have thought that 29er+ makes more sense for general UK than a fat bike. I would also say that I think 29er makes more sense than 29er+ in general UK conditions, which is sort of my point... I think.

I get that fat bikes are great for snow and sand (except Ian who seems to use his as a training bike ) so I understand what they are "for". Of course people use them for other things but that's irrelevant to my understanding of why they exist in the first place.

I don't have the same understanding of 29er+. I don't "get" what the conditions are that the 3" tyre is better than a 2.2/2.4 where the advantages out weigh the draw backs (which I assume are weight and roll resistance and to a lesser extent bugger all choice of tyres and rims).

Of course preference can come into it and fine any one can ride what they like... who cares! But that's not my point.
I see exactly where you're coming from Neil. When I first started riding the Travers I couldn't imagine what the benefits would be over a 29er and I was concerened that the wheels and tyres would make life really hard work. In reality it turned out that the wheels / tyres weren't a noticable drawback and over certain terrain (rocky doubletrack springs to mind) the 29+ concept did offer advantages when compared to a 29er ... they aren't earth shattering but they are there. I have to say that I'm comparing a rigid 29er to a rigid 29+ here, I think adding suspension forks onto the 29er would alter things a little.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I would have a 29+ for most of my riding if I was a bit taller. However, at only 5'7" the tyre diameter interferes with luggage carrying.

Some companies are now going to be making 27.5+ tyres and rims are already available. I reckon there will be a few 29ers and "proper" fat bikes that these will slot straight into so I'll be actively looking at that option.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I've 2 fat bikes
A Salsa Mukluk for beach and dunes riding (I live near the sea) and an On One Fatty as a fun inland trail riding bike as it's not as good on the sand but great fun for 2 or 3 hour rides.

I've a Travers 29er+ on order to be used as my Bivi, long distance ride bike and I feel it will be perfect for gravel/fire road mile bashing and maybe even a bit of beach riding.

I sold my Singular Swift (front suss) to help fund it as I liked the comfort and role'ability of a Rudy Fat 29er+ that I test rode.

I've now only got 1 full susser and our tandem has front forks on 26" wheels, the rest are now all rigid as I prefer it over bouncing forks when loaded
Ian

Post by Ian »

After a recent ride on the Pegasus equipped with 2.4" tyres, I think I do now get the 29+ concept. After riding the Puffin a lot, I found I was all over the place on rocky stuff on the Peg. Just couldn't keep the bike pinned down, even with "wide" tyres. On most trails round here the Puffin out performs the Pegasus - I even set a PR and 2nd overall Strava time up The Gap climb on the Puffin the other day - traction and ability to roll over the rough stuff outweighs the extra weight. I see 29+ as a compromise between fat bike weight and increased traction rollability over standard 29+.

Neil - shall I bring the Puffin for you next weekend then? ;)
composite

Post by composite »

s8tannorm wrote: I see exactly where you're coming from Neil. When I first started riding the Travers I couldn't imagine what the benefits would be over a 29er and I was concerened that the wheels and tyres would make life really hard work. In reality it turned out that the wheels / tyres weren't a noticable drawback and over certain terrain (rocky doubletrack springs to mind) the 29+ concept did offer advantages when compared to a 29er ... they aren't earth shattering but they are there. I have to say that I'm comparing a rigid 29er to a rigid 29+ here, I think adding suspension forks onto the 29er would alter things a little.
To be fair this is exactly what you said in your review of the Travers. Maybe its a case of giving it a go?

Also I wonder how much whether you normally ride ridgid or not comes into it?
composite

Post by composite »

Ian wrote:After a recent ride on the Pegasus equipped with 2.4" tyres, I think I do now get the 29+ concept. After riding the Puffin a lot, I found I was all over the place on rocky stuff on the Peg. Just couldn't keep the bike pinned down, even with "wide" tyres. On most trails round here the Puffin out performs the Pegasus - I even set a PR and 2nd overall Strava time up The Gap climb on the Puffin the other day - traction and ability to roll over the rough stuff outweighs the extra weight. I see 29+ as a compromise between fat bike weight and increased traction rollability over standard 29+.
Do you think the Pegasus with a suspension fork would make much difference? Would you consider doing the HTR on the Puffin now?
Neil - shall I bring the Puffin for you next weekend then? ;)
Not sure my frame bag would fit. :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

I intend running a suspension fork next weekend, so I'll let you know. It worked fine on the HTR last year, but the contrast between riding the Puffin last few months and then getting back on the Pegasus was quite large.

The HTR on the Puffin would be tough due to the hike-a-bike sections and the sustained climbing, but I'm saying that from the perspective of running singlespeed. Maybe it'd be ok with gears.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I haven't ridden my full susser since September, mainly as I didn't want to wreck it in grotty conditions so it's been rigid rides on either my inbred ss, fargo or fatty. On a single track outing around the woods I took my fatty and my BIL brought his El Mar. Dunno if it was the fork set up, seat height or riding flats in spud shoes but it just felt 'wrong'.

I'm not sure what point I'm making actually but the long & short is that I think I'm echoing Ian's thoughts and that big fat tyres do 90% of what you'd normally expect a collection of pivots and springs to do for you.

I'm warming to a rooster, even in yellow(!), but I'm not sure where it'd fit in the fleet. I do now swmbo could well kill be if I signed up for one.....
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

ScotRoutes wrote:I would have a 29+ for most of my riding if I was a bit taller. However, at only 5'7" the tyre diameter interferes with luggage carrying.
I'm 5'5" and got a Krampus last September. I went to test ride a jones spaceframe to have as my one and only MB. Just didn't quite get it, proberbly because I'm on the small side for it. There was also demo krampus sat in corner so took that out for a spin and couldn't stop giggling! So I've kept the Fargo for bikepacking and use krampus for everything else.
ScotRoutes wrote:Some companies are now going to be making 27.5+ tyres and rims are already available. I reckon there will be a few 29ers and "proper" fat bikes that these will slot straight into so I'll be actively looking at that option.
Now that I would be I tested in. If only because being a short ass I am closer to the 29+ wheels and get covered in sh1t :lol:
composite wrote:
stevemorg wrote:I've been waiting a few months for this - was about to buy a Swift and decided to wait a little to see what this looked like.

29er+ seems like neither one thing or the other to me. :|
I wanted a fat for a while but I am trying to stick to the S*-1 rule, so I thought getting a 29+ might be a compromise between 29er and fat. But krampus is a completely different bike to Fargo and for me it's more of trail bike than a bikepacking one (not enough luggage space, ltd gearing, heavy). Makes me wonder if I should have gone full fat in first place.

*S = the number of bikes that will result in divorce
composite

Post by composite »

FLV wrote:I like the 29+ format. I've already got wheels and 1 big tyre on the front of my salsa.
What fork are you using with that?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Travers prong thingie. It rides nice

It might wall be for sale shortly due to said rooster sign up. Just need to check out the dimensions on the rooster fork.
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

Sam has updated the Kickstarter with some additional options.

Forks only in black or yellow £100

Forks only in black or yellow with "anything cage mounts" £110

Not sure how you order frameset with fork cage mounts. Or frame only for people who want to use suspension forks such as the Fox F29 forks that I have that just take the 3" Knard.

Brian
FLV

Post by FLV »

It's not looming that close to the needed total anyway
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

FLV wrote:It's not looming that close to the needed total anyway
I've been away but that doesn't seem to have been up for long, I assume there's an option to extend his own deadline? I don't know much about Kickstarter.

Bike looks lovely to me and very tempted. I've ridden a fat very briefly and the "it just made me smile" sort of comments really ring true. However, as the rides have only been short I wonder whether that still applies when, for me, I'll be grinding out the last few miles of a ride.

Hence 29+ seems like a good "compromise".

And funk it, it's an vaguely exciting yellow :grin:

The whole thing I don't get though is massive tyres and bouncy forks :???: Surely it's a load of slightly randomly damped tyre and then a little bit more mechanically damped fork? How much bounce can you add with a fork and is it worth it?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Yellow is indeed vaguely exciting.

For non facebook people, Sam is polling on there to guage opinion on changing the seatpost size.

If you want your opinion to count and don't do FB polls. Drop Sam an email and let him know. You should have all the relevant info in a project update from kickstarter.
BrianP

Post by BrianP »

Rooster went very well in this race.

http://dirtstories.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... eason.html