Sinewave Revolution un-scientific findings

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Sinewave Revolution un-scientific findings

Post by Taylor »

All connected up and used on a local twisty/muddy singletrack ride.

On the singletrack which was slow/rooty/muddy(slower speeds) it was quite annoying as my iPhone kept beeping at me to tell me it had started charging. Obviously speed had dropped below the charging threshold on a number of occasions.(nothing to do with DrRad and his shonky gears :wink: )

Whilst riding home along forest roads/sustrans/roads it performed really well.
The 15/20 minute ride home gave my phone 10% charge. By my calculations, a full charge of an iPhone 5 should take about 2.5 - 3 hours at a constant speed, which is apparently 9mph for full charging to work.
Pretty much what the wall charger will do.

Size is dinky, think, small box of matches.

I like it.
composite

Re: Sinewave Revolution un-scientific findings

Post by composite »

Exactly the same thing will happen with a Garmin Edge 800 as well. This one of the reasons why I mentioned before about charging batteries rather than directly into the device.

Mine still hasn't arrived yet. :|
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

jameso

Post by jameso »

So this does what a Supernova Plug does, just mounts anywhere? Looking for something like this and trying to decide what goes where, how etc. Ideally to take a wire from the fork leg and split it into the headlamp and quick-fit detachable usb link that can be tucked away in a front bag, or removed.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

jameso wrote:So this does what a Supernova Plug does, just mounts anywhere?
Yes
composite

Post by composite »

jameso wrote:So this does what a Supernova Plug does, just mounts anywhere? Looking for something like this and trying to decide what goes where, how etc. Ideally to take a wire from the fork leg and split it into the headlamp and quick-fit detachable usb link that can be tucked away in a front bag, or removed.
It sits between the dynamo hub and whatever USB thing you want power to, be it the device directly or a battery that you then use later to charge the device.

Personally I will have mine in a top tube bag.

There's a few different setups that can be done.

1. For example Mike Halls TD set up was 2 wires twisted together into the hub. Both wires coming up the fork leg one into the Revo and one into the Plug2. You can't use both at the same time as there isn't enough power but you unplug devices as appropriate.

2. The way in which I believe flatfishy, myself and mtbmark are working this (will do mine this way when the device arrives) is to have the wire for the Revo attached to the hub, up the fork leg. When using the light the wire (male plug) is plugged into the Revo. mtbmark was able to source the female end of the plug, so it's a simple mod to attach this to the wire that comes out the sinewave. You then just plug the wire into that when you want to use it. This means you only have one wire coming up the fork leg and you have an easy way to switch what is plugged in.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Useful, thanks. Been a long time since I used a soldering iron, sorry for any diversion, just not seen this box before. I want to use something this as a removable option with with a permanently-wired light system front and rear without upsetting an otherwise hidden wiring system. The Plug looks ideal until you think about where the charged device will be when charging, where the wire between it and the Plug goes etc. Not sure which is best but like the adaptability of a box like this. K-lite made something similar / electronically identical for Paul E, a 1-off I think?
composite

Post by composite »

jameso wrote:Useful, thanks. Been a long time since I used a soldering iron, sorry for any diversion, just not seen this box before. I want to use something this as a removable option with with a permanently-wired light system front and rear without upsetting an otherwise hidden wiring system. The Plug looks ideal until you think about where the charged device will be when charging, where the wire between it and the Plug goes etc. Not sure which is best but like the adaptability of a box like this. K-lite made something similar / electronically identical for Paul E, a 1-off I think?
I believe the k-lite version was a built in battery pack. I didn't like the idea of the interface being hard wired into a battery. 2 different life span devices hard-wired together didn't seem like a good idea to me. I could be wrong about the set up though as I only ever saw pictures.

Although a neat solution I didn't like the idea of the plug2 being permanently fitted in the bike. I also didn't like the idea of the USB slot being located on top of the stem. Using the Revolution you can have the plug bit nicely hidden away inside your water proof bag. Maybe all this stuff has been thought about and if I had dug deeper into specifics my fears would turn out to be unfounded but I didn't get that far as there were other solutions.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Where did you buy it from?
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I think they are only available direct:

http://www.sinewavecycles.com/products/ ... revolution

I was also looking at this as it's cheaper but the output is lower so might take an age to actually charge anything:

http://r.ebay.com/vm6T6r
InspiredRamblings

Post by InspiredRamblings »

composite wrote: Although a neat solution I didn't like the idea of the plug2 being permanently fitted in the bike. I also didn't like the idea of the USB slot being located on top of the stem. Using the Revolution you can have the plug bit nicely hidden away inside your water proof bag. Maybe all this stuff has been thought about and if I had dug deeper into specifics my fears would turn out to be unfounded but I didn't get that far as there were other solutions.
I think you're right, and that this seems to be a big plus of the Sinewave device over the Plug. I read a few accounts of the Plug getting water damaged and then not charging anything. The Revolution will, according to their website, charge under water, and even if thats a stretch, it means it is probably going to be a lot more robust tucked away in a bag charging up stuff than the Plug was...

I also thought I'd read that when the Plug stopped charging (eg due to low speed) you needed to unplug and re-plug in the iPhone in order for it to start charging again...but that with the Revolution, charging would just start again automatically without any issues..?

I may be mistaken but thats what led me to buy a Revolution (although it looks like there is a new version of the Plug out now which might address some of those issues?)
Salsa Horsethief XT (2020)
Jamis Dragonslayer (2016)

http://www.uninspiredramblings.com
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I have also recently connected a revolution to my sp hub. It works well although the bleeping of the edge 800 at low speeds does send you slightly mad!
Mart

Post by Mart »

InspiredRamblings wrote:
composite wrote:
I also thought I'd read that when the Plug stopped charging (eg due to low speed) you needed to unplug and re-plug in the iPhone in order for it to start charging again...but that with the Revolution, charging would just start again automatically without any issues..?
The above statements not correct in my experience. My Plug 2 works the same way, restart to charge an iPhone automatically without issues
(or it does for both my old iPhone 3 and iPhone 5S)
I switch the phone sound off so I don't get any bleeping. Phone can run power Hungry GPS apps and remains fully charged
2924 miles per Gallon
InspiredRamblings

mje25 wrote:I have also recently connected a revolution to my sp hub. It works well although the bleeping of the edge 800 at low speeds does send you slightly mad!
I can imagine that when you're pushing up a horrible climb, the bleeping really might be the last straw...!

InspiredRamblings

Mart wrote:
InspiredRamblings wrote:
composite wrote:
The above statements not correct in my experience. My Plug 2 works the same way, restart to charge an iPhone automatically without issues
(or it does for both my old iPhone 3 and iPhone 5S)
I switch the phone sound off so I don't get any bleeping. Phone can run power Hungry GPS apps and remains fully charged
Ah, ok.. thats good to know. I must have mis-read / mis-understood.

mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

I use mine to charge a Samsung S4 mini phone. The Samsungs' don't seem bothered by the stopping and starting of charging and i don't get any notifications / beeping. In my unscientific testing whilst bikepacking it will take the phone from 50% to 75% charge in 3-4 hours whilst using the GPS / viewranger. If anyone wants one of the female connectors, i still have a few left, just PM me.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Good timing. I have a Revo and hub waiting to be built into a wheel and was considering a Plug III. However, I also want to use it on two bikes and this looks like a better option.

Mark - I'd appreciate one of those spare connectors. How do you want paid?
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

mtbmarkymark wrote:I use mine to charge a Samsung S4 mini phone. The Samsungs' don't seem bothered by the stopping and starting of charging and i don't get any notifications / beeping. In my unscientific testing whilst bikepacking it will take the phone from 50% to 75% charge in 3-4 hours whilst using the GPS / viewranger. If anyone wants one of the female connectors, i still have a few left, just PM me.

Here to please, I'll drop you a PM
Tom

Post by Tom »

Flatfishy, how long did it take for you to receive it from order to delivery and did you pay any duties? I might get one but need it within two weeks. It's crazy expensive though. cheers.

P.s. What are all those wires coming out of it? Looks like there's loads!
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Mine came within a couple of weeks. I paid £22 import duty and Royal Mail fees on top of the cost though so it ups the price a fair bit! Mine is currently wired in tandem to the hub with a revo. I bought a pack of sinewave's splitters so I can remove the revolution if not using it and just leave the cable wired in with the light. This seems to work ok as long as you are careful removing the splitters-I have had to resolder one as I pulled it off the wire trying to undo it. This probably tells you're about my incompetence than the products shortcomings tho!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Tom wrote:Flatfishy, how long did it take for you to receive it from order to delivery and did you pay any duties? I might get one but need it within two weeks. It's crazy expensive though. cheers.

P.s. What are all those wires coming out of it? Looks like there's loads!

Took about a week to arrive on my doorstep.

Got lucky with the nice man in customs.

Two wires total, it's just coiled up in my photo.
zigrat

Post by zigrat »

Got mine set up at the weekend. Just twisted the wires together at the bottom and connected them into the hub. Was out yesterday and seems like I can run both my edge 705 and revo at the same time. Also tried charging my iphone with the revo working - 6% charge in 30 mins with a fair chunk of it being uphill.
Am very very happy :cool:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Daft newbie question from me.

I have a PD hub and Revo setup with the USE USB adaptor that comes out of the output port. Not tested it yet as I've only just had the wheel built.

What is the advantage of the sinewave over this setup? It does seem a pain that I need the light on in the day to charge the GPS so must be losing some power to the LEDS.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
composite

Post by composite »

Dave Barter wrote:Daft newbie question from me.

I have a PD hub and Revo setup with the USE USB adaptor that comes out of the output port. Not tested it yet as I've only just had the wheel built.

What is the advantage of the sinewave over this setup? It does seem a pain that I need the light on in the day to charge the GPS so must be losing some power to the LEDS.
Do you mean this? http://www.use1.com/exposure-lights/cha ... -top-cable
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer