Down sleeping bag for £20

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Nevis

Down sleeping bag for £20

Post by Nevis »

I've seen these Tesco down summer sleeping bags recommended on a few other forums.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-7415.aspx

Most people seem happy with them and for the normal price of £40 feel they are quite a good buy.

At the moment they are half price. Obviously you get what you pay for but at £20 I thought I'd get one to try. I'll let you know how it goes.
Bigface0_0

Re: Down sleeping bag for £20

Post by Bigface0_0 »

I've looked at these a couple of time when I've been bored shopping with the wife. I guess for £20 you cant really go wrong. Anyone used one?
BIKE RACING IS LIKE HAVING A MULLET, BUSINESS UP THE FRONT, PARTY IN THE BACK…!!!
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

There's some discussion and pics here http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... eping-Bag.

It's the one in the middle
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

I guess for £20 you cant really go wrong. Anyone used one?

Yeah, worth getting one for £20. I've used one for bivi touring in the mountains of Northern Spain and the Alps as well as general all year round camping in the UK and kept all nice and snug. Also, it's nice to have a sleeping bag that does the job but you don't have to worry too much about getting damaged by stray embers or campsite custard accidents, etc. If I dare take my £300 Mountain Equipment down bag out in the wilds then I fence it off in a 500 yard radius exclusion zone and patrol the area with a pick axe handle ;)

Two things though....

Firstly, the zip's gone on mine after a couple of years of use. I've stuck it back together at the foot end with a glue gun, so it's still usable but it's not a particularly robust zip. Mine broke during an Autumn trip to the Lakes, during which I intended to bivi in Priest Holes Cave. Luckily, all day mountain biking fatigue combined with torrental rain kept me in the pub and the bunkhouse in the evenings so I survived.

Secondly, It's possible a tricky bag to wash properly due to the stitching which holds the down in crescent shaped compartments in some places. I treated mine with Granigers down water repelling stuff. It was a time consuming nightmare breaking apart all the clumps of down that had got stuck in the odd corners of the compartments. Now, the action of the Graingers treatment on the down might have been instrumental in this but I'll probably not bother washing it again, just in case. If I do and it all goes wrong then I'll just buy another one for £20 ;)
Bigface0_0

Post by Bigface0_0 »

One thing Ive got a problem with is my shoulders are more then 55cm making it a bit on the small size in fact this alway seems to be the problem!!! I need a bigger bag :D
BIKE RACING IS LIKE HAVING A MULLET, BUSINESS UP THE FRONT, PARTY IN THE BACK…!!!