Pidcock!

Post by Wotsits »

Anyone else watching/listening?

GO TOM!!!
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Boab

Re: Pidcock!

Post by Boab »

Wotsits wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:20 pm Anyone else watching/listening?

GO TOM!!!
Thought it was on at 15:10! 🤦
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

French not happy, but it was a legit move and he was in front of the french rider
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

We stopped work to watch that vaguely exciting ride. Never ever give up and as for the final move … amazing
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Dramatic stuff!! :o

I'm sure there'll be a few grumbles, but after reeling the French rider back-in after puncturing he well deserved the win..

Our first Gold.....Edit- trumped by a horse named after a London Bus!! :lol:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Yeah to pull back 40seconds after the puncture ... and then that overtake !! There were 2 lanes, and Tom was in front..... there was some booing from the crowds at the end but only to be expected ... water off a ducks back to Tom I'm sure, it was great racing. Surely that happens in F1 all the time, it was cheeky & brave but nothing worse than that... Chapeau !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/li ... a5ba6#post
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

vaguely exciting stuff, can’t wait to see it on catch up tonight

Pauline FP rode a fantastic race yesterday, totally dominated her ride and the crowds were deafening (or at least my volume was turned up!) :-bd

Was worried for Lecomte yesterday, thought her crash was quite nasty and no update from the commentators but saw a picture of her walking post race
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

BBC commentator was dire, Isla was fine but he was a waste of a microphone
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Eurosport presenters were much better
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Rick.. better... not by much.. he irritates me with his incessant prattling.

Oli is excellent.
faustus

Post by faustus »

What a race and a great win from Pidcock, really fantastic. The BBC commentary was garbage though, zero build up to him crossing the line for gold? The pace is so relentless.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

The BBC commentary was garbage though, zero build up to him crossing the line for gold? The pace is so relentless.
It was like two people chatting about the event in the pub whilst watching the live coverage
godivatrailrider

Gives a different view doesn't it! He'd lost his rhythm and Tom took full advantage :wink:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Are you sure that is the same overtake?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
godivatrailrider

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:31 am Are you sure that is the same overtake?
I think it has to be... 2 laps earlier they weren't together, 1 lap earlier there were three of them, and Tom goes to the left of the tree .... unless that was the other unfilmed overtake about half a lap earlier, but the "Tom to the left, Victor to the right " seems unlikely ....but I guess it could be a different overtake.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Yeah that clip above is the earlier one before the final lap, which wasn't on the coverage, he just came out of the trees ahead and never showed how it happened on TV...then Koretzky overtook Pidcock again uphill before the finish line before the last lap started...then it was the 'controversial' overtake nearer the end (nothing that controversial, just a ballsy move). :-bd
godivatrailrider

faustus wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:33 am Yeah that clip above is the earlier one before the final lap, which wasn't on the coverage, he just came out of the trees ahead and never showed how it happened on TV...then Koretzky overtook Pidcock again uphill before the finish line before the last lap started...then it was the 'controversial' overtake nearer the end (nothing that controversial, just a ballsy move). :-bd
Ah ok
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Oh yeah, sorry :oops: Just put the link up with no context, but looks like it’s been worked out. I was thinking it was the lap before but wanted to show a bit of the shoulder to shoulder racing :-bd

Anyone else thinking that mountain bikers need to step up now for XC? Seems that whenever Tom enters a mountain bike race, he wins**. Maybe a turning point for the sport in terms of training/nutrition etc

Edit - big up to suntour for yet another gold medal

*maybe it’s the cyclocross background rather than road

** seven XC race wins, one euro champ, one worlds, two olympics in three years
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Not to take away from Tom's outstanding ride in any way but I think that a World Cup field could be a harder event as there's a better chance its at altitude and the pack hasn't been whittled down to 2 per nation.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I don't think we'll suddenly see a lot of Pinarello mountain bikes despite them being ridden to both olympic golds - the rear wheel alone cost $2800!
faustus

Post by faustus »

Yeah, and I think it's a pretty ugly bike as well - but I don't like Pinarello styling of any of their bikes to be honest.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Their gravel bike in particular looks like someone's ridden it into a brick wall so that it's buckled
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

voodoo_simon wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:15 pm Oh yeah, sorry :oops: Just put the link up with no context, but looks like it’s been worked out. I was thinking it was the lap before but wanted to show a bit of the shoulder to shoulder racing :-bd

Anyone else thinking that mountain bikers need to step up now for XC? Seems that whenever Tom enters a mountain bike race, he wins**. Maybe a turning point for the sport in terms of training/nutrition etc

Edit - big up to suntour for yet another gold medal

*maybe it’s the cyclocross background rather than road

** seven XC race wins, one euro champ, one worlds, two olympics in three years
I think it's 'cos he is fairly unique in being super strong and a good rider. I get the feeling that a lot of the XC types are focusing more on out and out strength rather than technical ability - the number of wipe outs on the World champs course last year seemed to bear this out....
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I get the feeling that a lot of the XC types are focusing more on out and out strength rather than technical ability - the number of wipe outs on the World champs course last year seemed to bear this out..
I think it's the opposite, world cup courses are getting more technical and so are the riders, the Olympics course was designed for the french riders so tamer than a world cup. They are riding technical stuff in long sections whilst breathing out their arse seeing stars on XC bikes. Not surprised some come off, no-one critiques DH riders for falling off. The big drop off the platform after the hill which they all styled through would never be seen on an xc course 10 years ago and that was an easier bit.

Evie Richards has a downhill coach, others similar

Oli Beckingsdale commented on a round of the world cup and he thinks the difference is massive