It's not meant to be easy.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

It's not meant to be easy.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I met up with Yetiman at a famous Welsh beauty spot late Friday afternoon. After a brief diversion to the only shop for miles we headed off in search of our accommodation. It was somewhere I'd spent the night before and would give us a good headstart for Saturdays breakfast quest. The weather remained kind throughout Friday night and we awoke to a mist filled valley on Saturday morning but by the time we climbed into the mountains the sun had broken through and the world was wonderful.

This is actually the entrance to Friday nights digs ... the stepping stones are a bit slippery but not as slippery as the banking side leading to them.

Early Saturday morning, post breakfast - pre packing. We knew there'd be a long climb over the mountains ... but we hadn't realised just how long and tough the day would get.

Some tracks really didn't exist on the ground ... while others, like this one were almost motorways. :wink:

Had this been in better condition it might have been a contender for remotest overnight spot in Wales (until we found the next one). The land surrounding it is pretty much trackless, so if you want to visit you'll have to enjoy/endure at least an hours 'death march'.

Sadly it was a little rough inside and fairly dangerous in all honesty.

Sunday morning in the cold light of day ... 7 hours earlier we'd climbed, carried and dragged for 3 hours in truly horrible conditions in the hope of finding it. Had we not found it, had it been locked or had the roof been blown off, we'd have have a very, very bad night. This now takes the crown for remotest, hardest to access spot I've ever had the pleasure to kip in. There are no paths leading to it just thigh deep heather, knee deep bogs, scree slopes, cliffs and rock.

Not posh by any standards but reasonably water tight and windproof ... the picture does do it a few favours though.

An hours 'drag-a-bike through a bog and down a cliff' led to something we could ride again ... obviously it was raining at this point too. The day continued (and continued and continued), a very late lunch was had a Coed Y Brenin and the decision made to make a push for home, rather than take the easier, third night out option.

Good job it was locked or we might have moved in.

The compulsary Spar shot. Sunday night, 9pm and 2 hours until home ... in a hail storm. We arrived home just before 11pm having set off just after 9am. The previos day had also been a 12 hours plus affair and actually got tougher the longer it went on. All in all I racked up about 100 miles and 4000+ metres of ascent ... fantastic weekend :grin:

PS ... I knocked on but no one was home.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Taylor

Re: It's not meant to be easy.

Post by Taylor »

Ian

Post by Ian »

I recognise the bothy from that earlier mystery bothy photo thread. Which way did you approach from?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Which way did you approach from?
North West(ish). The map indicates 2 tracks from the west, one high and one low ... in reality there are no tracks, not even sheep paths.
Ian

Post by Ian »

A good effort then :)
When I looked, I thought approach from the South looked best?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When I looked, I thought approach from the South looked best?
If you go in from the south side or at least the southern invisible path coming from the west, your first hurdle is going up the hillside in the 4th pic up :shock:
Mike

Post by Mike »

It definitely wasnt easy!!
So i decided to start my trip from Stuarts making my way up and over the forest. How hard could it be. It turned out i had a fair amount of snow and a one hour yomp down through a bog. Having met Stuart we headed up to the overnight spot
Wheres the door mate?
Once inside we got the fire going as it was getting cold as the night was clear
The morning climb was met with fog and sun
The descent cleared and we headed off to find food
Having eaten we were then faced with the first 1hr + boggy up hill yomp of the day. We came across this amazing ruin which we had to explore further
As night fell so did the rain! We found ourselves on this extremely muddy track due to the repairs being carried out before popping into a pub. We both decided that the nights stop would be at the hut. WOW what a mission that is, ill leave it to stu's description on that. I will say though we got very wet trying to get in...... sorry stu had to put this one in :-bd
Who would of thought a boot lace could out wit two grown men but we had been moving for about 13hrs
The last morning was greated with yet more wind and rain, 1 hr rocky yomp and miles of trails back to Stuarts. Lucky for me Stuart and Dee are fantastic, they fed me and housed me where i got a well earned rest for the night. I think we were both pretty much spent! I managed to cover 131miles, 4930m climbing and one broken spoke all in all a fantastic trip!!
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Sounds like a classic :smile:
Loving the black and white picture 10 out of 10 :-bd
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Spot on :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Looks like a 'character building' ride.

Love the b+w and Stu in the mist pictures
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Ace pics & write up, looks like a proper adventure :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Super cool. You guys are tough. :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Super cool. You guys are stupid
Is what I think you meant to say :wink:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I like these stories. :smile:
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

An hours 'drag-a-bike through a bog and down a cliff' led to something we could ride again
Great line! Fav pics - fog and mist in the morning and the B&W.

Stuart, I meant to say you guys are tough! Proper adventure. I love adventures on the doorstop. You are lucky to live in such a beautiful place. Wales always reminds me of my homeland. :smile: