Water Filter

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scotswookie

Water Filter

Post by Scotswookie »

Hello Everyone

Sorry another daft question

I am doing the Badger Divide at end of July , i think i may need a water filtration device as there may be scenario where i wont get a tap between stops
I had seen the Water to Go filter bottles which seem straight forward , has anyone tried these or have any recommendations

Thanks again

G
Lazarus

Re: Water Filter

Post by Lazarus »

Water to go works well assuming you can fill the bottle ( needs a decent depth of water)
Older bottles (not sure if fixed) are quite rigid and you cannot really squeeze water out for say a brew or some such just suck to drink.

The other ia a pump type device. (trailshot for example) which can get water out of say a puddle.
I have both and the water to go is most often used as the uk is pretty wet... Trailshot in a drought. Probably take water to go as well.as the weight penalty over a normal bottle is minimal

There are also steripens and tablets to consider - never used either
Mart

Post by Mart »

I had a water to go filter bottle. I found it impossible to suck through to get the water.
Used once and relegated to the top shelf of things never to be used again.
For me a pricey mistake, if anyone wants it they can have it
2924 miles per Gallon
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mart wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:45 pm I had a water to go filter bottle. I found it impossible to suck through to get the water.
And also mine only squeezable for about 2mm deflection. ie. not squeezable.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scotswookie

Post by Scotswookie »

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the replies , i had a look and have decided against the water to go bottle , and looking into the filter instead ,
the Sawyer model i seen on Ebay looks like a winner , has multiple options for use and should give me what i need if i run out

Thanks

G
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The only issue with a Sawyer or similar can be filling the bag - weirdly, if you cut the bottom of the bag off, things are far easier.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Katadyn BeFree works well as it's more of a pouch. No problems drinking straight from it but I usually decant into a regular bottle. I wouldn't want another rigid filter bottle as you'd end up filtering everything whether it needed it or not as as noted above they aren't as easy to use. The katadyn rolls up fairly small too when not in use. I did have a rigid bottle filter for the TD. It didn't fit in my cage very well and I lost it before I got to Sparwood so that was a waste of time and money! :lol:
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

It's interesting reading all the opinions I used a trailshot for a few years and then bought a Water to go bottle and wouldn't change now I wouldn't want to use it to drink directly from but i fill another bottle or camelback from it . What swung it was the fact that it will tolerate being frozen where the trailshot apparently won't .
jobro

Post by jobro »

When I did the Badger last July in very warm weather (mid 20's!!) most of the lochs I passed had warnings of Blue Green algae contamination. My understanding is that most filtration devices take out the organism but not the toxins produced.I was using a Water to Go bottle. I ended up knocking on someones door and begging two bottles to be filled.
Could someone better qualified than me update on the toxin problem?
Thanks
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

They take out bacteria but not viruses (but rarely an issue in the Uk)
I use running water generally

Short answer it depends as the toxin may be in the algae or the water. The former it will filter the later it wont ( i would avoid and if i had to do it i would choose before sunrise and boil it)
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I did the badger last year and didn't have any issues getting fresh water from taps/shops/pubs/cafes etc. I had a sawyer filter also but never needed it

The only real remote bit is between Fort Augustus and corrour station, just make sure you stock up for that bit and you will likely be fine

If you are doing it north to south:

Drumnadrochit - plenty of options (shops/cafes )
Invermorston - shop
Fort Augustus - shops/cafes/bars
Corrour station - tap outside and cafe also
Rannoch station - tea room
Loch Rannoch - tap at Kilvrecht campsite
Glen Lyon - post office is a cafe/shop but also has a tap outside
Killin - supermarket/bars/cafes
Kings house - Mhor 84 is a hotel/cafe
Callander - loads of shops/supermarkets etc
Aberfoyle - shops/bars etc
Drymen - Spar, cafe, pub
Milngavie - shops/cafes
Scotswookie

Post by Scotswookie »

Thanks Everyone for the replies
Scotswookie

Post by Scotswookie »

rudedog wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:33 am
Thanks for the below , incredibly helpful

I did the badger last year and didn't have any issues getting fresh water from taps/shops/pubs/cafes etc. I had a sawyer filter also but never needed it

The only real remote bit is between Fort Augustus and corrour station, just make sure you stock up for that bit and you will likely be fine

If you are doing it north to south:

Drumnadrochit - plenty of options (shops/cafes )
Invermorston - shop
Fort Augustus - shops/cafes/bars
Corrour station - tap outside and cafe also
Rannoch station - tea room
Loch Rannoch - tap at Kilvrecht campsite
Glen Lyon - post office is a cafe/shop but also has a tap outside
Killin - supermarket/bars/cafes
Kings house - Mhor 84 is a hotel/cafe
Callander - loads of shops/supermarkets etc
Aberfoyle - shops/bars etc
Drymen - Spar, cafe, pub
Milngavie - shops/cafes
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Surprised to see the issues reported with the Water to Go bottle. Bought one for a trip to Nepal and in 3 weeks had absolutely no issues with the bottle or with my tummy. 2 other party members did which was 50% of the group. Found it dead easy to use and drank from the bottle most of the time with occasional filtering into another bottle for longer dryer stretches. :-bd
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

There are two types of bottle, the rock hard one that I got a good price on but was basically useless, and the normal bike style one that's as squeezable as any other bottle.

On the plus side, I at least have two filters now as the original one also fits the bottle that works. If their thread fitted a standard bike bottle, that'd be even better!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

a standard bike bottle
fatbikerbill

Post by fatbikerbill »

I'm a sawyer filter user.

If you go sawyer, also buy this https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/vec ... er---28mm/

It allows you to pop to the stream and fill this up and attach the sawyer filter to, then you ditch the blue sawyer bag completely.

Possibly worth taking the syringe with you to back wash the sawyer
Scotswookie

Post by Scotswookie »

fatbikerbill wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:58 pm

Excellent , ill check this out now

I'm a sawyer filter user.

If you go sawyer, also buy this https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/vec ... er---28mm/

It allows you to pop to the stream and fill this up and attach the sawyer filter to, then you ditch the blue sawyer bag completely.

Possibly worth taking the syringe with you to back wash the sawyer
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Another vote for the Katadyn Befree bottle works really well, so much easier to use than the MSR trail shot which I found to absolute tosh tbh very slow goin imo
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams