Lael Wilcox off round the world

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Lael Wilcox off round the world

Post by fatbikephil »

https://bikepacking.com/news/lael-rides ... d-podcast/

Seems to be trying to do as many miles in Europe and the States as possible, given that the former USSR is off limits. Also happy to bag plenty of alpine passes....
redefined_cycles

Re: Lael Wilcox off round the world

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'll be honest, and I appreciate that many might not share my viewpoint. But ever since Lael mentioned the Israel Tour many years ago I've always had alarm bells in the back of my head. Nelson Mandela said after Apartheid was abolished that the freedom of the blacks of South Africa will never be complete without the freedom (and abolition of Apartheid) for the Palestinian people.

Even Chris Froome was in on the sports washing and waving the Israel flag for them (with all due respect for the non-abusing Israel people who aren't living on stolen land, of whom it could be said there aren't many) for many years - though I'm unsure where his thoughts lie during the current genocide.

Anyway, so sorry but until all those celebs (and friends of mine) who previously waved the Israel flag high and acted like there was no abuse going on. Until they stand up and say it like it is and stop the sports washing and all sorts of other one-sided crap. I'll not be takin any lessons from any of them.

Just my two pence and everyone is free to choose as they see fit :-bd (sorry Phil, not aimed at you but at Lael and the sorts - sports, cycling or media personalities). Pure one sided BS if you ask me (which I appreciate nobody will, so I'll get back into my little hole :lol: ).
redefined_cycles

NB. For completenes of information and to be getting it back on topic. No doubt she'll be visiting Israel and maybe even meeting Netanyahu this time. Good for her :sad:

Mods: apologies firstly and feel free to delete my post above. Just sick of the one sided sports-washing debate. Suits some but not others.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Go Lael :-bd interested to see her route too. It's a complicated time to doing a RTW. I think the places I'd want to see most seem like the more difficult ones in terms of visas or risk.

Fair points I reckon Shafiq. I raced in Israel about 10yrs ago and had some conflicting thoughts about it all. Interesting experience though for sure, eye-opening.. for me at the time it was about a small riding and racing scene who are about as responsible for the situation there as I am for the invasion of Iraq. But that's not saying the occupation should be ignored or it undermines the support of people who need it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Lael herself comments at one point how a number of countries are off limits to her as an American..... Any student of history over the last 60 years would have no trouble understanding why that might be the case.

Oh well, if she just is promoting it as a bike ride, seeing lots of different places and meeting local people; and avoids the bigger issues I 'spose that's fair enough. Wonder if she will be using her Revelate stars and stripes framebag!
redefined_cycles

Thanks James. Yes, fair point you make there too. Sadly I'd never be able to see the country without some serious risk to life and limb. But maybe one day and you're probably right I shouldn't be so tough/harsh on/about Lael. I've no evidence of her acrually supporting the occupation as such and there is a growing number of Jewish/Israelis who also don't agree with the apartheid system (they see the same or similar fate as the Palestinians though to a much lesser extent).

Didn't mean for it to be a rant and apaoligiesif it cane across as tha.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

I hope she does well and has a safe journey, however I don’t want her to beat Jenny’s record, maybe she can come within a couple of hours of it :smile: