Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

What is ádventure?

Post by voodoo_simon »

Trying my best to get around the swear filter :lol:

Following on from the ‘Is this bikepacking’ thread
https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpB ... hp?t=24454

What is an ádventure?

See it loads on people selling trips/rides etc saying ádventure guaranteed, have an ádventure with us etc etc
Bearbonesnorm

Re: What is ádventure?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

ádventure guaranteed
Oxymoron.

Adventure requires an element of the unknown, there are no guarantees. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm fairly relaxed about this one - anytime you venture away from the built environment under your own steam anything might happen = adventure.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:01 pm I'm fairly relaxed about this one - anytime you venture away from the built environment under your own steam anything might happen = adventure.
Burn him! :lol:

Do we really need another pointless definition thread?

And yes, I know I could just ignore it :wink:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

No, I’m just a bit bored :lol:

Just interested on where people draw the line with adventure. Used to think it was just going out all day doing something fun, then thought it was something that happened to you whilst out (ie unplanned) but now thinking it’s more type 2/type 3 fun behaviour (ie feeling uncomfortable whilst out/pushing yourself to see the consequence)
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:14 pm
ádventure guaranteed
Oxymoron.

"No guarantee of return".

That's adventure for you :wink: .
May you always have tail wind.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:06 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:01 pm I'm fairly relaxed about this one - anytime you venture away from the built environment under your own steam anything might happen = adventure.
Burn him! :lol:

And yes, I know I could just ignore it :wink:
:grin:
I'm also fairly cynical about people equating 'adventure' with 'suffering' There have been some terrible articles on that bikepacking lately where young well to do people do a cycle tour, struggle on a hill or two and then write it up like it's some horrendous type 3 epic and then try to suggest that the suffering is some kind of sole enhancing epiphany. :roll: (I feel a tirade coming on)

OK anything less than the 2023 BB300 is easy. So there. And that wasn't an adventure as I got exactly what I expected :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:14 pm
ádventure guaranteed
Oxymoron.

Agreed :-bd
Pete wrote: "No guarantee of return".

That's adventure for you :wink: .
I'll remember that this weekend :smile: .

Anyroad, never mind all that, "Adventure" was in fact the better known name of a text-based computer game in the 1970's, aka "Colossal Cave", possibly the first ever decent computer game. I wasted huge amounts of time on it between 1977-81 when I should have been doing coursework :smile: . I finally managed to solve it, although eventually wangling a copy of the source code probably helped :wink: . I went on to add a lot of extensions to it. Ahhh great days.

You lot now with your young persons videographic virtual realness games or whatever you call them - rubbish in comparison to the original and best, where you had to use your imagination to visualise it all :grin: .

Zaphod: There's gonna be excitement, and adventure and really wild things!
Marvin: Sounds awful.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso

Post by jameso »

Funnily enough I was talking about this in a work meeting/presentation yesterday.. what does adventure mean to a brand and why is every bike company using the term. It's easy to jump on these things w/o getting into how or even if it's relevant so it either gets diluted or goes hyperbolic as brands and influencers try to one-up each other.

What would Bill say.. :grin:

(Bill Hicks - https://youtu.be/tHEOGrkhDp0)
jameso

Post by jameso »

Adventure requires an element of the unknown, there are no guarantees.
Wanna climb the Eiger N Face with me this summer? I got some spare gear and the route looks easy to get started on. Adventure guaranteed!

Something about adventure being a lack of planning.. :)

But yeah.. pre-packaged adventure seems a bit .. flat
jameso

Post by jameso »

(I feel a tirade coming on)
I hear that tirade in a low voice narrative over an epic landscape video..

"This wild and open landscape that has taken all of our time, our energy and some of our soul simply began to represent the expanse of the forum...

And while we set out questioning the meaning of adventure, what we found was something deeper, a question that arose inside ourselves.."

Credits and sponsors logos scroll in white font centred over a big view drone shot...

The end
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

When we say 'element of the unknown' or uncertainty that doesn't automatically mean suffering or any type of fun located located high up the scale. We should take it literally ... what's down that track? as an example. Having something planned to the enth degree simply limits the possibility of adventure.

But I do agree that setting off up the north face of the Eiger with James while dressed in shorts and flip-flops would likely indicate that adventure was indeed guaranteed :wink:

As a little aside but still kind of OT, here's an example of how good the industry / media are .... I met a bloke the other day who was selling his hardtail mountainbike and buying a gravel bike so he "could go bikepacking"
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

jameso wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:29 am

"This wild and open landscape that has taken all of our time, our energy and some of our soul simply began to represent the expanse of the forum...

And while we set out questioning the meaning of adventure, what we found was something deeper, a question that arose inside ourselves.."

Credits and sponsors logos scroll in white font centred over a big view drone shot...
"...in a time when ships were made of wood...and men were made of steel..." :wink:
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:03 am What's down that track? as an example. Having something planned to the enth degree simply limits the possibility of adventure.
Yep. And I'll refer back to my point about imagination being required with old computer games. Imagination equally applies to adventure. Following a pre-set line or a fixed route needs no imagination at all.
But I do agree that setting off up the north face of the Eiger with James while dressed in shorts and flip-flops would likely indicate that adventure was indeed guaranteed :wink:
:lol:

I'll be riding off up the east face of Esgair Geulan this weekend dressed in sandals and fleece leggings with no undies so I'm hoping for a suitable adventure :smile: .
I met a bloke the other day who was selling his hardtail mountainbike and buying a gravel bike so he "could go bikepacking"
X_X
Last edited by RIP on Thu May 02, 2024 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Good work people esp jameso video voiceover
I dont think it requires risk of death or immense suffering ( but it has to be a serious effort with a lot of challenge)
jameso

Post by jameso »

here's an example of how good the industry / media are .... I met a bloke the other day who was selling his hardtail mountainbike and buying a gravel bike so he "could go bikepacking"
He's probably embracing roadpackin', the freedom of the lanes and byways.

Sorry, I mean
Road-Packing(TM) - The Freedom of the Lanes and Byways
jameso

Post by jameso »

MuddyPete wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:12 am "...in a time when ships were made of wood...and men were made of steel..." :wink:
In a time when ships were made of steel and men had wood... :shock: :grin:
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

I think this is a very personal thing? I know people who would consider booking a different Tui holiday to the one they do every year would be wildly adventurous :???: Others who feel going to a pub different to their local is an adventure too far :lol: Suspect an "Adventure Holiday" to the Alps costs a bit more than a "Holiday" to the Alps and has more takers too :roll:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

jameso wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:19 am
Adventure requires an element of the unknown, there are no guarantees.
Wanna climb the Eiger N Face with me this summer? I got some spare gear and the route looks easy to get started on. Adventure guaranteed!

Something about adventure being a lack of planning.. :)

But yeah.. pre-packaged adventure seems a bit .. flat
That's pretty much how the guys in the '30's started out on that and the other N faces.... They certainly had adventures but that somewhat undersells what they went through!
I'm in :grin:
jameso wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:29 am
(I feel a tirade coming on)

The end
:lol:

To further put myself forward for the funeral pyre, in recent years I've tried to avoid adventure on my trips - no crap weather, nice trails and plenty of re-supply. The reason being, I was on holiday and wanted a nice relaxing time...
psling

Post by psling »

Does a micro-adventure reduce the time on an adventure or reduce the amount of adventuring during the adventure? Or maybe just reduce the expectation of adventure?
Can you have an adventure of the mind tunnelling into words or is an adventure exclusive to getting outdoors and doing something?
So many questions :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does a micro-adventure reduce the time on an adventure or reduce the amount of adventuring during the adventure? Or maybe just reduce the expectation of adventure?
Can you have an adventure of the mind tunnelling into words or is an adventure exclusive to getting outdoors and doing something?
So many questions
Uhm, I once knew a girl who was quite adventurous but she preferred to be indoors :|
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:54 am Uhm, I once knew a girl who was quite adventurous but she preferred to be indoors :|
D'you know, I once knew a similar girl but she just loved the outdoors :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
jameso

Post by jameso »

"Raahh, the good old boy's club of adventure that warms the loins!"
Last edited by jameso on Fri May 03, 2024 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just an average BB trip out

stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

Years ago at Shand, we started calling ourselves an 'Adventure Bike Company'. For us it was about trying to find something that could still mean serious, high-quality, performance equipment but without suggesting there was necessarily racing or speed involved. Of course there are other terms like 'recreation' for example but they sounded a little pedestrian from what we were trying to convey (pun intended). I do think it's probably an overused term these days though.