Bivvy a Month 2024

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Bivvy a Month 2024

Post by RIP »

dorsetshirelad wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:20 pm Frey Bentos steak and kidney pie
Blimey do they still exist?! I remember them from the 1970s when I was a kid. All you needed to add there was an Angel Delight pud for the full 70s experience.
Using a stainless steel billy with ceramic baking beads I was able to fashion a makeshift oven
Impressive. Amazing what can be done with a bit of ingenuity. And for my next trick.... a shelter lashed up from six binliners and a couple of umbrellas :smile: .
It was another case of being about the meals rather than the wheels.
And probably all the better for that :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
javatime

Post by javatime »

Managed to squeeze in April BAM on the Somerset Levels last night. Photos to follow
Currently with coffee and sandwich at the Post Office in Mark. They open at 7.00 am !
Tractionman

Post by Tractionman »

I'm really impressed with the Fray Bentos on a Trangia!

I was always rather partial to a FB as a student, back in the day :-)
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

No giant bonfire, but a nice Beltane bivvy.
It started with helping out another cyclist with a jammed chain, then a sunny(!) ride out, a good natter (and dram) with @edaleskyline, and a mild and dry night. The morning dawned far too early, mainly due to my bovine neighbours, who thought 4.30am was a reasonable time to start mooing across the valley. Mist crept through the woods, the dawn chorus piped up, and I made myself a cuppa. Back down the hill via another couple of coffees, and at least a second breakfast (if not third, if you count all the baked goods that made it home with me). The insects are back, definitely time to start packing the Smidge again. Sigh.

Pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6bQF_AMnFv/

2024 BAM 4/12
2024 total bivvies 4
Current streak (months) 65
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

BAM 30 April... 4 of 4, 28 of 28

1st Tarp camp, Birchwood

Not feeling my best today but have been looking forward to using my new Tarp, the Alpkit 3.5. Thank you to Stuart for covering this piece of kit in considerable depth which helped me decide to purchase, and understand its use.
Following a hard work day and cooking dinner I assembled my empire of lightweight kit in the fabulous Osprey Escapist 25 litre rucksack which remarkably (in my world) accepted all my sleep and cook equipment.
I see this as a practical way to carry stuff on a short trip but also gives me an idea how storage would look for any future backpacking trips.
Plus, pleasingly it all heralds a success in acquiring good lightweight kit.
I won't mention Alpkit again but did pack/use Hadron, Blip, Cloudbase, Drift, Kloke, bicycle 3.5, Kraku, MyTiMug :grin:

Many times from home I have looked up at the hills in the distance, at a spot which begs a bivi camp.
So I tore myself from the radio broadcast of Bayern v Real, setting off into the dark.
Another mystery tour!
Quiet hilly lanes led to a bridlepath which would take me up to the chosen spot. But my pictured recall of the map and how I remember that area were hazy, leading me to guess and hope, in vain.
Now the foxes are barking and a few dogs too, fuelling paranoia.
The Hadron illuminates my presence.
No marks for stealth whatsoever.
So I moved away from that which I deemed marked.
And found a lovely spot facing the Malvern Hills even though my intended destination (common land) was god knows where.
Set up was slow even though I'd tried some tarp set ups in the garden recently. On this first trip I experimented with some robust poles gleaned from an old tent, para chord and heavy pole fishing elastic. I had not time to purchase some poles from Stuart's array of cutting edge poles. But i will.
Now to sit under and wonder at this tiny but priceless space. Eating chocolate and supping Maker's Mark I marvelled at the extensive area of sky and land in view. The tarp was making sense having used a bivi bag many times. I was genuinely excited.
It was warm, one could say I needn't have used the bivi bag. But I did, and together with a poor choice of spirit levelled surface I struggled to sleep, to remain under the tarp and to keep the air mat underneath me. I heard many owls as sleep came close but remained elusive. And every so often the breathing of a large animal which I assumed was deer.
Low note of the night was several violent and prolonged cramp attacks in my thighs. My illness, dehydration or lacking diet or supplements? I drank all my water intended for a cuppa in the morn.
Need to sort something before WRT.
It did rain in the night, just to amplify the reason of the tarps existence.
The splendid dawn chorus eventually led to some sleep.
I still awoke early. And enjoyed a rarely seen aspect of the Malvern Hills now bare and in full view.
Now I realised my location. Just 30 yards away a shed I'd sussed as a potential bivi spot and not much further along a beautiful summit which I have backpack wild camped before!
And then I realised each adjacent field contained either horses or cattle. Came so close to breaking my number one rule!
Viewing my pics I can create a tauter tarp by connecting pole elastic to the four middle tabs using two v formations with their point tethered by pegs. Then I can lower the pole ends for a different roof.

If you have read through all this well done, I am fuelled by tarpology excitement while sat here somewhat knackered!!

Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very nice our Neil, welcome to The Tarp Side :-bd . Once tarped, never returned.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

dorsetshirelad

Post by dorsetshirelad »

[/quote]

Blimey do they still exist?! I remember them from the 1970s when I was a kid. All you needed to add there was an Angel Delight pud for the full 70s experience.

Definitely helps being in your seventies to fully appreciate a FB steak & kidney pie.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Some quality bivvies this month, well done all :-bd
Neil, glad you found the ideal shelter. 'A' pitches get a lot of love on here as they are quick and simple and are a bit more resistant to wind and rain blustering about. I think there are a couple of poles on the classified at the mo.

I bought a Fray bentos pie during the pandemic in case it all went pear shaped (well more pear shaped i.e. total break down of society) When I eventually came to eat it, it was 6 months out of date. Tasted mighty fine though. Well done for knocking one of those up al-fresco DL!
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:58 pm Very nice our Neil, welcome to The Tarp Side :-bd . Once tarped, never returned.
:-bd

Yes I must admit, having slept in the tent this week, I'm not really sure I like it...being closed inside something...
Obviously handy when it is absolutely belting down...
javatime

Post by javatime »

BAM April - last gasp

Took the Severn Beach line to Weston super Mare - deserted and not looking that Super on a grey day

Quick bite at the cafe in Uphill, then NCN33 towards Brent Knoll and the straight roads graph paper navigation following the rhynes on the Levels towards Westhay
Found the big tyres a bit draggy but wanted to shake down the Scandal for more off road trips this summer.

Got to Sweets just as they were closing. It is a quirky place - Science Museum and Cafe but cycle friendly and there is even a 531 Galaxy Mixte frame dumped in the car park for the taking. Topped up with water there and finally got off road

Then the rain really started -I would have headed off to The Sheppy later but decided to stay put for an early night

Broken sleep - ducks quacking, geese hooting and bitterns booming but wonderful sunrise

Early start and took some photos of a Grand Designs type house on the way back - stilts seem like a good idea as the sea levels rise and panels cut on the angle made for a stunning design using vernacular materials familiar to the eye.

A few more bridleways heading back and MTB tyres useful on the later gloop on Aller Moor Drove. Found a stick to prop up the bike too.

Pleased to find the Post Office in Mark open from 7.00 am for push button coffee and a pastry, later proper coffee in Uphill then the 10.10 from WSM direct and home by 11.30 for a shower.

Convenient overnight adventure to a far different place from urban Bristol with GWR and a bit of leg work, £6.70 off peak single (with a railcard)
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

April BAM was meant to be earlier on but time always seems to get going as the month goes by and I end up chasing my tail a tad.
I did plan a little more riding but 15 mile in the temps dropped pretty quick so I opted for Bryn Alyn where I've bivvy'd before and I wasn't too far away.
Pitched up before 10pm in the tent for the first time this year, I was enjoying the bivvy bags trips but the weather was pretty pants so opted for the tent this time which I was glad of when I was settled inside, but checked the weather and the temps were going to drop to 0 in the night. Bombay mix & Moretti down the hatch I bedded down only to wake at 1am ish feet absolutely freezing cold, not put gloves on my feet before so it was a first :lol: (let me know if you have done anything similar) Gorewear Infinium gloves are a brilliant glove and now I've used them on my feet I'm gonna rave about them for years to come, they worked and half hour later I was warming up nicely. Woke up around 6am and started packing up and getting ready for a 0 degree ride home. Made up :-bd

Image1000047567-01 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image1000047579-01 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image20240425_212505 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image1000047585-01 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image20240425_220054 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image1000047596-01 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image20240426_004608 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image1000047639-01 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image20240426_062435 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image1000047648-01 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image1000047655-01 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image1000047657-01 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Image1000047664-01 by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

April BAM Complete 4/12 :-bd
Last edited by Leerowe76 on Sat May 11, 2024 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Verena

Post by Verena »

Beautiful pictures Lee :cool:

I'm pretty sure I've done the gloves on feet at some stage...in middle of the night ice block feet desperation....not sure it worked as well though as it obviously did for you :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

As per WRT....

5/5, 5/12, 102/102

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

WRT for May BaM :-bd.
May you always have tail wind.
Boab

Post by Boab »

A full WRT report will be along at some point, maybe.

Stopped early on the Saturday evening.

Got up later than normal on the Monday morning.

Sat: https://www.strava.com/activities/11333204861
Sun: https://www.strava.com/activities/11345231387
Mon: https://www.strava.com/activities/11345201035
2024: 5 / 12
Total: 43
Streak: 5
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Ooof. Cracking sunrise that, Boab.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Sunday morning at 06:00 was even better...

Not sure what happened with the photo, the artefacts are on the original RAW file. 🤷
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Probably leftover chemtrails.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Some cracking riding over the WRT weekend Boab, great miles, climbing and great pics too :-bd
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

May BAM - WRT Edition. Rode with Eugene & Mike on the first afternoon aiming for the chippy/shop near Vyrnwy, great to bump into Neil who's bike I recognised from his BAM pics with tarp set up last month (hope you had a good'n Neil).
Camped above the Hotel on the Saturday night and had a great nights sleep although Allen was a little windy, woke early doors to birds singing and a great view overlooking the lake. Rode with Allen, Danny, Benji & Matt on the second & third day heading for Bala riding trails I'd not ridden before which was great. Re-supply and dinner in Bala then onto CYB for the Sunday night which has to my best BAM to date, the others camped at the top of the Bwlch Goriwared, I carried on toward the bottom stopped at the view and though yep! this will do me. :-bd .
More new trails for the morning ride to Dinas Mawddwy before heading upwards into the Dyfi forest and back to BB Towers, brilliant weekend & great company, Oh and Dee's lemon drizzle :-bd

Triple foam wash on the Friday was ovbvioulsy a waste of time although it did look clean when I set off :lol:
Imagepro-O8Szcvpf by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Obligatory Bike Park pic
Imagepro-G1HD2w1S by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Not sure who but they seemed happy climbing
Imagepro-TABiWfIN by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Reminder of the BB200 :lol:
Imagepro-JIwrwD0W by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

A good tea, a hot chocolate and jelly tots for dessert
Imagepro-vkE5xbLT by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Best bivi spot to date
Imagepro-VAeO9pRg by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Not a dangly mug
Imagepro-zCtPMraO by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Sunset
Imagepro-UZS0YgFk by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Heading for Dinas Mawddwy for 2nd breakfast
Imagepro-5nYbnW9i by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Allen
Imagepro-YHvCd66d by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

Allen, Danny, Benji & Matt on more new trails for me :-bd
Imagepro-v0jZhbbq by Lee Rowe, on Flickr

A great weekend with great company
May BAM 5/12
2024 - 6/12
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Top WRT bivvies there folks, sorry I couldn't make it!

By way of compensation, I've just done a stoater!
Out of the blue came a sunny forecast and hot! 20 degrees plus! No more freezing your (whatever) off whilst cold rain sprays into your face!
I needed somewhere scenic with good riding and I was itching to get up to the Cairngorms as I've not managed it much over the last few years. Blair Atholl, gateway to much good riding and the start of the Cairngorms Loop and Tour routes is only an easy hours drive away so that's the plan.

At first I was going to do the whole weekend but then the weather started going on about torrential rain and thunderstorms on the Sunday plus the Caledonia etape was on, on the Sunday, so the drive home would be slow. So I figured on the basic Cairngorms tour, which at 200k and a mere 2500m climbing should be straightforward for a Friday evening, all day Saturday ride. And it was :-bd

TLS load out ready to go.

After the usual bit of trail then 10 miles of road then cycleway I hit the dirt up the Gaik pass, the sun beating down and a stiff breeze shoving me along - bliss! After a hellish few months at work I was properly due this one

Scenery! (sorry Reg...)

I got it horribly wrong on the first bit of single track. Despite much dry weather the bogs were still present. I figured one would be best ridden through straight as there should be a hard bottom, so to speak. there was until I was in the middle whereupon the front wheel disappeared up to the disk in quality glop. I tried to heave it out but it was firmly glued in place. Where to put my foot? Into a similar bog, up to calf depth. After flailing about a bit I managed to extricate me and bike and then set to cleaning gunge off boot, (waterproof) sock and leg. Fortunately, although the boot was damp inside the waterproof sock had done it's job and my tootsies were dry.

Salvaging the remains of my dignity I proceeded. Wow - ace trails and weather. I was up for riding until dark and I was making good progress so figured the woods out of Badeguish would do.

Sun setting oh so slowly, a month and a bit out of the equinox.

Turns out the woods wouldn't do as between the trees was dense heather, a tick haven. In the end I went for a spot I'd used a couple of years ago and had a horrible mozzie experience. I was largely confident they wouldn't be up and about yet as it had been -5 here the other week. The midge forecast hasn't even kicked off yet. It was 10.10pm as I turned in. I nearly went bivvy bag only, but there was a fair bit of cloud about plus there would likely be a lot of dew as the temps dropped so up went the tarp and a pleasant evening followed

Top spot, if there are no horrible flying biting things.

Departure was at 7.30 am (hardcore compared to my usual casual BAM mornings) and off I went up through Inshriach and Rothiemurchus forests. Dry trails, heat and sun - heaven!

Glen more cafe provided breakfast and then more fab trails followed. At one point I blasted past a group of guys doing the same route but over three days. They were all loaded up with lots of bags and rucksacks - TLS guys!

Egg path - :-bd

So it went on until Tomintoul where more fried food was consumed and then off up the long strath of glen Avon. The wind was of concern as it had gotten quite breezy but it must have been more west than south as I made much better progress up the glen than last September when the headwind was a blaster. Up the Cullardoch climb was a bit arduous as the miles were starting to make there presence felt but I had a good blast down the other side and decided to miss Braemar and the road riding out to head direct to Linn of Dee.

This was tremendously exciting - an adder! Better still, after the usual transition from smooth doubletrack to rough doubletrack to singletrack, I surprised another one (Male this time) which hissed at me before slithering into it's burrow. The geldie crossing was a bit iffy as the storms of last year have started to wreck the nice smooth bed the river has followed for the last 8 years since storm Frank in 2016. A certain amount of determination and 29+ got me through dry.

Looking back to the cairngorms - this is a fav spot of mine

About to drop into the Tilt descent.

This was, as usual, a hoot. Clouds were gathering but I stayed dry. Every time I ride this trail I seem to find another challenge to ride. I Got a few killer sections and fluffed some others - all in all a fab run. Then the transition back to rough double track, smooth track and the final cruise down the motorway standard estate road back to the start.

195k in total and about 13 hours ride time :-bd
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

As per WRT.

The bivvy...

That's 5/12 for 2024.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Mrs Polisherman

Post by Mrs Polisherman »

For my May BAM see my WRT write-up.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Cracking night out last night with Jim, Mike and Hux. Dinner at Three Horse Shoes, Wheathill and then up the east side of Abdon Burf in the dark to pitch at our old haunt. Thanks for comin' out lads...'twas a goodun to get warmed up.
abdon_burf_140524.jpeg
abdon_burf_140524.jpeg (145.31 KiB) Viewed 33 times
Greetz

S : )
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Mays bivvy was done on the WRT

5/12 for this year