Hammock tarp ridgeline

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Hammock tarp ridgeline

Post by whitestone »

I was looking for a simpler ridgeline for the hammocking tarp and came across this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwvefCletaY (Be warned he talks at a rate of knots!) I began to wonder if it would work in Lash-it/Zing-it. Only one way to find out!

Ten metres of yellow Zing-it for the ridgeline and three 55cm lengths of black Zing-it for the Prussik loops. Splicing an eye in one end of the ten metre length of yellow was straightforward. For some reason the black zing-it was much harder to work with and the Prussik loops took a bit of swearing to get to behave.

Prussik loops work best when the loop is of a smaller diameter than the main rope or line. In this instance the two are the same diameter and then there's the fact that zing-it is very slippery. VERY slippery. This means that rather than the usual two or three wraps four or more likely five wraps are needed to ensure that the knot holds. In the event I found I needed six.

And yes, it works :-bd though I do need to tie off the the pulley part with a slippery half-hitch. That might change with a bit of wear on the Zing-it. I might get some Delrin rod and make a toggle for the spliced eye end but given that I'd be in woodland anyway any dry stick about finger thickness is going to work. Really quick to put up and takes down easily as well.

The combined weight of the ten metre ridgeline and the three Prussik loops? ... wait for it ... wait for it ....

5g!

Yes, a whole five grammes and not a lot of volume either.

Add 5 x 1m, 5 x 2m and 1 x5m guy lines (I can mix and match according to the site or extend as necessary) and the sum weight of all the lines is 25g. For the summer asym tarp I'd only take 2 of the 2m so the weight would be under 10g with another 10g for the two pegs. Not bad.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Re: Hammock tarp ridgeline

Post by sean_iow »

I replaced my ridgeline and guys with zing-it which is half the weigh of the 2mm marlow line I was using.

I saved 16g and it only cost me £40 :lol: The marlow was £7 for a 50m reel.

I've got a split ridgeline with Dutchware fleas which works really well. I was worried it might be tricky to centre over the tarp but it's not been an issue. I've made a bishop bag and it's got pockets on the outside for the lines to tuck into.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

It was as much an experiment as anything since the guy in the video is using paracord or similar so I wondered if it would work in Zing-it, the low weight and bulk is an added bonus.

I do have a split ridgeline in Zing-it (Dutchware Wasp on one end, Farrimond Knot for the other), both those lines are 5m so little difference in weight, maybe a gramme heavier. The Dutchware stuff has got really expensive - £17 for a Wasp or Stingerz :shock: I need to have a prolonged play/use with both to see which I prefer, ideally in poorer conditions as it's most likely ease of use that will win it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I made mine mainly as an excuse to have a go at splicing.

I didn't think I'd like the split ridgeline as I used to hang stuff from the ridgeline under the tarp but I've not really missed it.

As for the price of Dutchware kit, I've recently bought a chameleon and an asymmetrical bug net for it, ouch!
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger