Radar/Camera/Rear light

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Itchynuts

Radar/Camera/Rear light

Post by Itchynuts »

I haven't spent enough money on my bike this year (nothing come to think of it) and I'm considering splashing out on a Garmin Varia RTC 715.

I'm fed up of people in cars squeezing past me where there isn't enough room even though only about 5% of my riding is on roads.

Of course nothing is simple and the Garmin and it's competitors are made to attach to the seatpost. My Thudbuster takes up most of this space and what is left would give me perfect videos of the rear wheel so not much use.

So, I have two questions. 1. Does anyone have experience with the Garmin or a competitor? 2. Has anyone made a suitable bracket to mount one somewhere else? I'm thinking some 1" copper pipe could be a good starting point.
fatbikephil

Re: Radar/Camera/Rear light

Post by fatbikephil »

I was eyeing up the specs of the Garmin light, and reading the blurb. I get what they are trying to do but my considerable experience is that people squeeze past you too close because they are dicks, not because they haven't seen you. Being warned of this doesn't really add any value as there is typically nowhere to go in any case.

I use two or three rear lights, one continuous, the others flashing, plus try to have contrasting clothing colours. Again, if someone is a dick, they will squeeze past you. And if someone is checking their facebook profile rather than watching where they are going they are going to drive over the top of you irrespective of what lighting you deploy.

So I came to the conclusion that they weren't worth the dosh, and will stick to my current tactics of lights, and listening out for the close passers. Plus if anyone says "sorry mate I didn't see you", the above means I'm justified in decking them...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Also, there is another company that does a type of radar rear light. Noy with a camera though and it's not the Exposure version. I forget which, sorry...
Itchynuts

Post by Itchynuts »

fatbikephil - I agree with you completely but the combination of radar and camera/video facility adds another dimension to our defence.

I watch a lot of cycling youtube videos. The latest Cade Media production is particularly interesting.

The police appear to be keen to act on the video footage and offending drivers can be fined and have points added to licenses. I'm still digging into this but several police forces including mine (Gloucestershire) have set up Operation Snap. This gives detailed information about what to send and where to.

If we were all equipped with these or similar devices even the dicks would have to take more care.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I ride with a Tooo cycling rear camera. It lasts for 8 hours and I’ve had 3 drivers prosecuted using it. In Devon we have operation snap which is great and they always respond to the real bad ones I upload
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I ride with a Tooo cycling rear camera. It lasts for 8 hours and I’ve had 3 drivers prosecuted using it. In Devon we have operation snap which is great and they always respond to the real bad ones I upload
The chillitech guy apparently helped develop them and then was cut off, he's bringing out a new rear camera
Itchynuts

Post by Itchynuts »

Dave Barter wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:03 am I ride with a Tooo cycling rear camera. It lasts for 8 hours and I’ve had 3 drivers prosecuted using it. In Devon we have operation snap which is great and they always respond to the real bad ones I upload
Good to know. I had only heard of the Garmin but have since found a few others with the help of google but have no idea if they are any good so a positive mention for the Tooo cycling device is much appreciated.