If you could recommend 1 gravel route - what would it be?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

littlegirlbunny

If you could recommend 1 gravel route - what would it be?

Post by littlegirlbunny »

I have just become a proud owner of my very first gravel bike. Well, I will be when it arrives, hopefully this weekend.

I am looking for inspiration of routes/tours/rides to jam pack my calendar. I don't want anything too tech, hike-a-bike isn't my thing. Happy to climb and climb and climb though.

Recommendations for day, or multi-day, trips with beautiful views and limited main roads would be really appreciated.

The Rebellion Way over in Norfolk is already on the list, as is the Outer Hebrides.
voodoo_simon

Re: If you could recommend 1 gravel route - what would it be?

Post by voodoo_simon »

The lost lane book series by Jack Thurston are worth buying, some good gems in his books. Not gravel as such but nice, quiet back lanes with some off road.

The Wayfarers route in Corwen/Llangollen way is worth a ride, probably not the best route out there (but I like it) but feels ‘pilgrim like’ riding over it

Personally I think the best part of a gravel bike is the ability to ride from your house and explore what’s on your doorstep :-bd If you haven’t got one already, an OS on your area is a bargain, a custom made one is even better depending on the area
psling

Post by psling »

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:54 pm The lost lane book series by Jack Thurston are worth buying, some good gems in his books.
Agreed :-bd
The Wayfarers route in Corwen/Llangollen way is worth a ride, probably not the best route out there (but I like it) but feels ‘pilgrim like’ riding over it
Whilst I have taken a road bike over there in years gone by I could only actually ride most of it on a MTB !
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Have a look at Marcus Stitz's website, he's a lot of routes based in southern Scotland, the Central Belt and a few in the southern part of the Highlands.

We did part of the Wild about Argyll trail a few years ago and it is certainly doable on a gravel bike with a couple of short sections that might tax you - Puck's Glen is a push (down) no matter what you are riding (a steep set of steps in a gorge).
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

The lost lane book series by Jack Thurston are worth buying, some good gems in his books. Not gravel as such but nice, quiet back lanes with some off road.

+1 for this. I made up a couple of routes in Wales by linking sections from the Lost Lanes books with byways and one went over the Wayfarer's Route (which is generally quite rocky or hike-y for a gravel bike).

I really enjoyed most of the King Alfred's Way route. The section after Reading through to the North Downs wasn't really my thing but it was all good riding, very accessible and enjoyable in the dry. I expect it's about as gravel bike compatible as any route in the UK I think. The Traws Eyri looks really good too. I always enjoyed riding one the Ridgeway, mainly the western half to Goring but the whole route makes a good out and back weekend ride. (er.. that was 5, maybe.. ha)
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

Shropshire borders, Epic Cycle of Ludlow have the Cross Cartel with some great gravel routes and one BEAST of 600km https://thecrosscartel.com/
godivatrailrider

I've done the Wayfarers on the CDF and it's a tough ride. I did it west to east..
faustus

Post by faustus »

You could get a big loop in the New Forest, taking in the sea to make it longer. Only a day ride really, but can be extended outside the national park. There are tonnes of gravel tracks open to bikes, which though non-technical, are a nice way to get around a beautiful place by bike. Some bits are honeypots/busy, but most of it won't feel like that. Woods Cyclery in Lyndhurst are a very Bikepacking oriented shop and would help with route ideas. Here's one from Bikepacking.com that doesn't take in the sea: https://bikepacking.com/routes/new-fore ... taster-uk/
godivatrailrider

I'm doing a variation on the Woods Rat Run which I believe is gravel and looks SUPERB !! https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45384349
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Badger Divide is good. Down the Corrieyairack Pass heading N>S is a bit rocky, but I don't remember there being much HAB. Headwinds were what knackered me the most.
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

Ahhh, thank you so much wonderful people!

Lots and lots to work with here. It'll definitely keep me occupied for a while planning and plotting anyway. It will be good to ride away from my normal stomping grounds of Wales and the borders, so Woods Rat Run is definitely one of the first I will look at.

Phil - I will pencil that one in for next year. We are already running up and down to Scotland a fair bit this year, but am very keen to look into this.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I thought the Tour of the Cotswolds was a great route & very gravel-bike friendly. Lots to see, great places to eat & drink & didn’t struggle for places to wild camp..

https://www.escapism.bike/routes/tour-of-the-cotswolds
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Charlie the Bike Monger's Dorset Gravel dash route is ace. I think it's become a paid-for event now, this is the route ..sorry for the Stravaness

https://www.strava.com/routes/9261721
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ton

Post by ton »

done a fair few fantastic week offroad tours, that are all suitable for a modern gravel bike.

badger divide, north to south was a cracker.
trans cambrian route was very good, in roasting weather.
and one year we cobbled a pennines, lakes, dales circuit,which was stunning.

most routes are good on a gravel bike, just use your knees for suspension............ RSF riders have been doing this for many years.......... :-bd
jobro

Post by jobro »

Great British Gravel Rides by Marcus Stitz would be a good starting point

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/produc ... XFEALw_wcB

Understand "gravel riding" is a broad church and can encompass the off road motorways of the New Forest (one of my local areas) through to the downhill part of the Corrieyairack Pass (Badger Divide - hugely recommended)

Have fun
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

I'm biased, but as per my signature for more info and GPX, I can thoroughly recommend 'Mint Gravel' for a long day out or split over a couple of days in South Lakeland.
mint gravel grab.jpg
mint gravel grab.jpg (160.86 KiB) Viewed 92 times