Bivvy a Month 2024

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MuddyPete

Re: Bivvy a Month 2024

Post by MuddyPete »

gecko76 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:15 pm A quick overnighter to a spot I camped at with a mate for his birthday last year.
A fitting tribute. Good luck for Friday :YMHUG:
May you always have tail wind.
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Thanks Pete.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

This months Bivvy was done last night something of a damage limitation effort as i have done something to my shoulder and didnt want to make it any worse before the WRT . A night with the bluebells up on the Malverns seemed like a nice idea so straight to the pub for some lubrication and away i went . I had been out for a walk on Saturday so had an idea where i wanted to go but couldnt find anywhere flat
ImagePXL_20240420_150000969 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
After a bit of a search i found a spot there were not as many bluebells as i had hoped but not to bad a place to be
ImagePXL_20240422_044912972 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
The view from bed
ImagePXL_20240422_050107858 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
It was a very still night which was a nice change and what was a beautiful moon and starlight sky became a cloudy and drizzly morning i packed up and went to the shelter on top of the hill for breakfast before the roll back home
ImagePXL_20240422_053717267 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I took a slight detour to ride through another stunning display
ImageIMG_20200421_170352290 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr

Thats 4/12 for this year
Verena

Post by Verena »

That's beautiful Kev, very much puts me in the mood to get out there, very soon...
vegancheese

Post by vegancheese »

A 3-day weekend on Edinburgh's Capital Trail with the Polishermanses a couple of weeks ago.
All four seasons of weather, but dry from the sky for camping.

The Three Brethren Cains on the Southern Upland Way. Flippin freezin.
Image102_0114 by dear_jim, on Flickr

The Polishermanses, with a new addition to bikepacking, young master polisherman in the middle.
Image102_0119 by dear_jim, on Flickr

Camp 1 damp and squishy, but sheltered from the howling wind by the plantation.
Image102_0108 by dear_jim, on Flickr

Camp 2. Looked like a field before the open moorland on the map with a square thing. Turned out to be a house. With very nice people in who let us camp in the lee of the house, then let us sit by the fire and made us a cup of tea.
Image102_0120 by dear_jim, on Flickr

Camp 2 zoomed out in the morning.
Before our ascent to Birkscairn Hill 661m the high point of the ride before the descent to Peebles.
Image102_0125 by dear_jim, on Flickr
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Good effort there
(Forecast for this weekend, light easterlies, cool but sunny....)
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

BaM April 2024.

Mrs Frog is having a rheumatoid arthritis flare-up, so this BaM is of necessity close to home - a couple of hours from home and somewhere I’ve used a couple of times before. Near Ellesmere. That’s a parked-up canal boat in the background. The first time I was there in my first BaM year in 2015, there’d been some no-goods that had left lots of rubbish. It was still there in 2017 and it’s still there now, although gradually disappearing.

Anyway, back to the BaM…

Hammock in the woods…

In the morning - breakfast… :grin:

On a bagel. The sausages had browned too quickly so I sliced them in half and refried the still-pink bits.

Maybe four sausages, two eggs and two bagels was too much, but hey, if you’re going to cook breakfast, you may as well be full afterwards.

That makes 4/12 for 2024.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Great stuff, Lu. The breakfast aroma wafting through the woods must have been lovely :-bd.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Last month I referred to my heavy off-road crash (pilot error when all’s said and done :roll:). Well, being no stranger to upper body injuries over my many years (think two wrist breaks, three shoulder dislocations plus remedial op, both collarbones separated, etc, etc. ), I was confident I could take care of my own rehab. However, after three weeks I finally had to admit defeat and enlist the help of a physio. He’s since done a sterling job in getting my neck where it doesn’t feel like it’s going to snap at the slightest jolt. Unfortunately, though, as yet he’s been unable to resolve the nerve pain in my right arm and hand (exacerbating the existing osteo-arthritis in my wrist). The man's a shambling wreck, I tell you! :lol: It seems it’s going to take some time but I’ll get there eventually.

In the meantime, to keep the legs turning, I’ve had to resort to pootling away in the Land of Zwift (NOT my favourite activity, I can assure you). Finally, though, last Wednesday (24th) I decided to bite the bullet and actually get outside on a bike to see how it felt … and to tick off April’s BAM. As I often do, I headed along the coast from home into East Lothian then inland on farm tracks and gravel trails. My destination was Saltoun Big Wood, at a pleasant little spot I’ve used previously.

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

The night remained dry although there was a constant chilly breeze. I got up after a restless night (that arm thing goin' on :sad: ), packed and headed the few miles to Rosearista, a favourite café of mine on the Pencaitland Railway path. I engaged full hipster mode and had avocado and pea pesto plus halloumi and sun-dried tomatoes on sourdough bread for breakfast. :ugeek:

That’s 4 from 4 in ’24 and 76 consecutive BAMS.
Last edited by JimmyG on Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

Glad to hear you're on the mend Jimmy. I keep forgetting you're East Lothian - fancy a joint bivvi in May? You can show me round a bit.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

I'm actually in darkest Leith Justin but EL is a favourite haunt of mine. A joint outing sounds good and I'll send you a PM when I know my plans for next month.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
gecko76

Post by gecko76 »

:-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

April...
Still no Cairngorm trip as it was looking like winter would be having another go up there. So instead I went with another tour of the fair Kingdom of Fife. Last August I did the southern bit of the coastal path out (well about half of it) and an inland route back. This time I went with the Northern section using a route I'd plotted a couple of years ago but never ridden in its entirety. Basically due north to the hills, turn right, keep going until you run out of land - about 100k.

This is what you are up against: rolling hills with a mix of forestry, natural woodland and farmland. The clear blue sky took a while to appear as I set out into gathering clouds and got rained on within 5 minutes of departure.... I then proceeded to narrowly miss several downpours, only catching a few sprinkles before it finally cleared :-bd

A particularly fine bit of trail along the Tay coast - all very easy but lots of twists, turns and occasional tree roots make it much fun.

Shortly after this I hit the chippy at Newport which is a cracker - a fish tea was consumed sat in the evening sun. The Co-op provided supplies for later and the next day; and then it was the final easy miles along the coast to Tentsmuir forest. Now the last time I bivvied here I got savaged by mosquitos and had a truly horrible night. I knew it was far too cold for them today so bivvy spot finding involved scoping out the first likely spot and pitching up, guaranteed bug free. It's all pretty level and you can choose between grassy hillside, dense sitka or spaced out pine, depending on the weather. I went with a sheltered spot by a fire break in the hope I'd get some sun the next morning.

Bivvy set up take 1. I had a very pleasant evening sipping beer and reading, whilst listening to various nightly noises, then turned in, confident that it would be a dry night so no need for the tarp...
Last September on the last night of my Mounth tour, I was similarly ensconced in a wood near Pitlochry. At one point I dreamed it was raining and woke with a start, only to see stars overhead. So I was somewhat shocked this night to have a dream that it was raining, only to wake up to find it was.... raining!

Ooo bugger. Fortunately my tarp was handy so I grabbed head torch, unzipped (totally non-waterproof) bivvy bag, ripped out the tarp and spread it over me and then dragged on jacket and boots, got out and got the tarp up in record time. Phew, I laid back in my slightly damp bivvy and relaxed once more. Then the rain went off....

Bivvy set up take 2 - it did actually rain a bit more a couple of times so that will teach me to believe a weather forecast! The dawn chorus was deafening but I snoozed some more and then had a leisurely breakfast before departing into the sun.

And came across this - a couple of static caravans which looked like the usual hippy / off grid set up, but with a load of female mannikins posed around the place wearing various evening dress....Odd.

As I departed the forest, darker clouds were around, so I went with a fairly direct route home through the Howe of Fife via various easy tracks and back roads (and the greggs at Cupar for breakfast part 2), finishing with an assault on the Lomond hills (after breakfast part 3 from the bakers in Falkland), which I've not ridden for ages, thanks to the horrible weather. Today, my bike ended up covered in dust! At one point I was hailed a by a chap on a rigid singlespeed who recognised my bike from Bikepacking.com's 'bikes of the Highland Trail' no-one ever recognises me, just my weird bolide....

More sunshine over Loch Leven and the Ochills. That little lot came to 200k so I'm well pleased with that as my bike riding has been a bit hit or miss this year so far. May next and yet another pledge to hit the Cairngorms, maybe next weekend....
vegancheese

Post by vegancheese »

:roll: Giving me flashbacks these posts...I recently had avocado on sourbread very near JimmyG's ride, and have kipped on the beach at Tentsmuir near fatbikephil's splendid adventure. The small world of bikepacking :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Enjoyed that Phil. Would be a bit un-nerving coming across those mannequins in the dark though, especially after a few beers. "Greetings madam. May I interest you in an evening of fun and frolics?".
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Nice one, Phil :wink: .

Always interesting to stumble into an alternative reality :???: .
Verena

Post by Verena »

That really is a little weird.... those mannequins....

Anyone been watching The Tourist by any chance?? Series 2?
RIP

Post by RIP »

MuddyPete wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:58 am Nice one, Phil :wink: .

Always interesting to stumble into an alternative reality :???: .
This whole thread is a permanent alternative reality of course :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

April BAM last night, again in the nick of time...

It was an "under the circumstances" type bivvy, just very local at a lovely spot I by the river which I have used a few times before, though not for a while actually, so it was really nice to be back there, and especially to find the nice tree still there from which I have been able to hang my tent (badly :lol: - I swear the very first time I pitched it pretty well, but have never been able to repeat that since... :roll: )

As I arrived in the almost dark, the first thing I heard was a plop - splash - I'm guessing rat?!? I try not to think on that toooo much when sleeping near water, but, anyone got any experience? Is it a thing?

Anyway, tent this time for cosiness factor, and as rain was forecast.

Note the appropriate choice of chocolate.

ImageIMG_20240428_224219 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

The good Mr Henry Weston kept me delightful company, and I knew I was doing my bit to save some orchard somewhere... he not so much helped me to sleep, as rather knocked me into unconsciousness I think...

Bit of rain in the morning, but nothing dramatic, just enough to practice making coffee in bed.

ImageIMG_20240429_052325 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

The resident herd of sheep with their now pleasingly plump offspring wandered over and came up for a close look at me

ImageIMG_20240429_055001 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

I know I know.... I could lie and say it looked better in the night....it didn't. But it did it's job, and I couldn't be arsed... I've said it before, I don't prefer bivvy bag only because I'm 'ard, it's sheer laziness....

ImageIMG_20240429_061232 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Packed up, home before seven to be greeted by the mutts, lovely start to a new week.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:33 pm Enjoyed that Phil. Would be a bit un-nerving coming across those mannequins in the dark though, especially after a few beers. "Greetings madam. May I interest you in an evening of fun and frolics?".
As I approached, the first thing I saw was a tumbledown shed which I instantly pegged as a future bivvy spot, then I came across the first caravan which looked abandoned, and then that lot.... I could imagine me kipping in the shed and then them all coming to life in the middle of the night....

Better than bloody mosquitos though!
Mrs Polisherman

Post by Mrs Polisherman »

Excellent chocolate choice Verena!
Mrs Polisherman

Post by Mrs Polisherman »

So I did a couple of sleepouts earlier this month while circumnavigating the Capital Trail as described by vegancheese a few days ago. Although there wasn't much sleep going on from my point of view - I'm still not very good at the sleeping part. I'm hoping I'll get better at it.

The three days were cold, wet and windy for the most part but newbie, Big Richard, wasn't put off and is still keen for the WRT next weekend.
Highlights for me were:
- being allowed into the posh pizza place at Innerleithan to eat on the second evening despite our muddy and bedraggled appearance
- being invited to camp in the shelter of a couple's weekend getaway and then being asked in for tea and a warm by the fire
- watching vegancheese topple very slowly into large gorse bushes on day 3

No pictures I'm afraid as I've run out of time to do all that shenanigans.

Looking forward to warm dusty trails next weekend!
Verena

Post by Verena »

Mrs Polisherman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:50 pm Excellent chocolate choice Verena!
:-bd
dorsetshirelad

Post by dorsetshirelad »

April BaM

Richard rode over to mine and after coffee we set to ride over to his brothers along the coast from Christchurch to Highcliffe. He was joining us on our proposed bivvy at Hurst Spit, a mile long shingle bank that sticks out into The Solent towards the Isle of Wight. On the end of the spit is an impressive fort built during the reign of Henry VIII and also a lighthouse dating from 1860.

Arriving at Peter’s he was still awaiting the return of his wife after a cataract operation and not sure wether he would be joining us or not.
We decided to hang on as it was only about 13km further to ride. And not getting dark until about 9pm there was no rush. She finally returned and all was well, permission was granted and off we went.

By now it was raining and as we got onto the coast path the going got decidedly slippery. With constant coastal erosion the track gets perilously close to the crumbling cliff edge in places. If you loose control it’s a choice between a barbed wire fence or a long drop. We all made it without major mishaps. The last section atop the shingle bank was mainly rideable with just a few sections that required pushing. A few years ago part of the fort disappeared into the Solent. Consequently English Heritage has had to stabilise the end of the Spit and rebuild part of the castle. The heavy plant that has been back and forth carrying out the works has compacted the shingle nicely.
We arrived about 8pm just time to set up camp in the lee of the light house and get cooking, fortunately it had stopped raining.

Richard opted for his customary steak with a fancy sauce while Peter kept it quick and easy with, by all accounts a tasty beef stir fry.
I had a notion to cook something exotic and had brought along a Frey Bentos steak and kidney pie. The challenge was to get a crusty pasty topping cooking it on a trangia. Using a stainless steel billy with ceramic baking beads I was able to fashion a makeshift oven. The results were surprisingly good and with the addition of potatoes, carrots and gravy culinary heaven was attained.

We were all tucked up in our tents and tarps by 10:30 and all had had a reasonable night sleep, with the gentle patter of rain throughout the night. We were up by 6, the rain had stopped, so it was just a matter of getting packed away and heading off home. But not before having a good old fry up of sausage, mushrooms, bacon, and scrambled eggs with plenty of coffee.

Stopping for more refreshments on our journey back we parted company and made our way home . Peter covering 25 km. I did 50km and Richard 106.

It was another case of being about the meals rather than the wheels.
Attachments
Image 22 2.jpg
Image 22 2.jpg (164.57 KiB) Viewed 86 times
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Nice one, DSL. There are some lovely beaches along there to seek out :-bd .