Wanted - an old down or synthetic jacket for making down booties.

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

errol

Wanted - an old down or synthetic jacket for making down booties.

Post by errol »

Mods - apologies if this is in the wrong place!

Does anyone have an old down or synthetic jacket that has given up the ghost that they dont want/need anymore, size not important, trying to do it on a shoestring, although beer tokens exchanged!

Mrs E has recently obtained an old Brother (in excellent working condition) industrial sewing machine with a view to doing some MYOG. She suggested maybe making some down booties that might be good for the odd BAM and other jaunts that are planned. I did suggest using her old sleeping bag with a view to getting a new one, but got that look over the top of the specs...as you do!)

Might have been done before on here elsewhere but thought we would have a go and see where it takes us. (Have you seen the price of some the booties available commercially?)

Appreciate anything you might have that is no longer used etc. (postage covered if you can let me know and I'll ping over cost via PP)

Thanks
Last edited by errol on Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benconnolli

Re: Wanted - an old down or synthetic jacket for making down booties.

Post by benconnolli »

How exciting adding a new Brother to the family!

Really like this idea of yours.

Another option, on a weird sort of shoe string, is the insulation they use in Hello Fresh boxes? You would still need to provide the outer/liner fabric, but equally, you would get to pick the outer and liner fabric. Unlocking the flexibility that myog allows?
errol

Post by errol »

benconnolli wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:19 pm How exciting adding a new Brother to the family!
Agreed, it's always exciting adding a new member to the family even if it is a new-ish gadget. He is 40 years old apparently and well trained.

We've not experienced the Hello Fresh stuff but are we correct in thinking it's a fleece type material made from recycled bottles ?

Some old neoprene road overshoes have been unpicked and a one piece template created

The idea is to sew around the template marked out onto the material and do in in one hit, so that all layers are in place, with only the rear ankle seam open so that the sizing can be adjusted accordingly. Mrs E's idea to which I defer, as I know my place. :shock:
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Sort of yes to all that. It's quite hard to describe or relate to similar things. I'd recommend just getting your hands on it, to understand it a bit better.

That process sounds good. Presume you're aware of the classic sewing tips and tricks?
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

I've made a pair of goretex camp slippers using the template from:
https://andersj.se/lagersko-nr-1-lag-modell/

I'm going to make a mk2 version to be more of a bootie style and include a removeable synthetic inner that i can wear in my sleeping bag.