Bike packing full suspension frame/ bike recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

riderdown

Bike packing full suspension frame/ bike recommendations

Post by riderdown »

Looking for recommendations for a full suspension bike for HT550 and similar challenging routes, I know you can ride anything but looking for something to complement my cutthroat

Rider is 6'3", not light, uses combination of bar/seat/ frame bags normally and or an aeroe rack, frame ideally suited to some bag or other

Modern geometry, 29er, robust more important than weight but not with it's own gravitational field, needs to be value for money rather than boutique as it will get well used and not retain much resale value, internal dropper compatible

Something that will be ok for 5 or so years at least

What's out there, what's a good safe secondhand purchase?
trob6

Re: Bike packing full suspension frame/ bike recommendations

Post by trob6 »

I have a Trek Supercaliber, 100mm at the front 60mm , its absolutely brilliant, won't go back to a hatdtail now.
There is a new one out now with a bit more travel.
What's the worst than can happen?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm on an Orbea Occam TR. Bought it for similar situations and love it. 130mm travel. Carbon and alloy versions available depending on budget. There's two different travel versions in the range iirc. Newer frames look less amenable to a frame bag :|
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Bikepacking.com has a fair list of suitable full sussers. I lusted after a Salsa Spearfish for a few years, but really couldn't justify it.
thenorthwind wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:44 pm I'm on an Orbea Occam TR. Bought it for similar situations and love it. 130mm travel. Carbon and alloy versions available depending on budget. There's two different travel versions in the range iirc. Newer frames look less amenable to a frame bag :|
I've a 2022 Occam and while it's pretty good for 'Lakes XC' find it a bit too much bike for longer bikepacking-type rides: I don't think I've ever done longer than ~70km on it.

I haven't looked but guess there may be bargain 100mm Spesh Epics or Cannondale Scalpels about what with 120mm being the new 100mm when it comes to this years XC models. I'd have either of those!
slarge

Post by slarge »

I have a Spesh Epic and it's a brilliant fast XC bike and would be perfect for a lightweight HT550 type route. The downside of some FSers is that a rear pack is tricky especially if using a dropper. But go light and it would be ideal
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've had pretty much every generation of the Spearfish... they've all worked well. Except for the one I cracked... but that was most definitely the rocks fault, not mine.

Currently riding the carbon one (most recent version) and it has been great. Can't fault it, and the "larger" amount of suspension (100mm) out back has been nice on rougher rides. Definilty less of a pure XC marathon bike than the older iterations, but then again, neither is it's rider. So I guess that's perfect.

FWIW, I'd say most modern short travel XC bikes will be fine. It's about the riders capability to move the bike around the terrain over the bike itself anyway.

Bike is a tool. You're the one using it well, or poorly.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Chiming in to "the bike I have is great":
I have an Ibis Ripley (since 2020, tested a bunch of similar bikes before I got it). Lovely balanced trail bike. Not very light (size L frame was about 2300 g without shock) but sturdy. In 2020 I came from 3 cracked rear triangles on 2 short travel trail bikes (I asked too much from them, were more the kind of super light XC bikes which I made slacker and regularly rode with chunky tyres in terrain they weren't intended for). After these episodes I was looking for a sturdier bike, but also in the 100 - 120 mm travel range. The Ripley was a great choice. I wanted a more capable short travel trail bike rather than a XC (attention, one for the filter) whippet. It's holding up really well.
Bearings hold up well. Great for all bikepacking trips with loads of single tracks. Will happily do laps in the Alps or down the Ben.
I made 2 framebags and find they take loads of gear given the odd shapes it has.
Riding it with 63.5° HTA and a 140 mm fork, but I guess most will be happier with the standard geo. So, of course I'd recomment this, but it may not be what you're looking for since
riderdown wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 am needs to be value for money rather than boutique
. Guess there are similar, yet cheaper bikes/frames to be found.

Testriding a couple of bikes back in 2020 there was Yeti's 115 mm and Trek's Fuel EX, which stood out too.

If you're looking for good value I suggest a used Fuel EX or Ripley AL.

If new, Cube Stereo44 may be worth looking at.

I believe a fitting geo, good rear shock with eg 3 pos. compression damping (open, medium, lock out or near lock out), fast rolling tyres and smart choice of components will turn even a 130-140 mm travel frame into a bike which will let you cover routes like HT550 efficiently and comfortably. Throw the "wrong" tyres on a XC bike, a shock with lack of good pedal platform and you have cucumber (local term for something sluggish, mostly with wheels).

It seems to me that frames roughly <1.8 kg (no shock) are just a bit too light for eg 85 kg rider who likes to ride rough stuff for years to come. Both the frames I damaged (one alloy, one carbon - one damage pattern came repeatedly, not through crashes) were just that; they rode soft, lacked precision and eventually snapped when pushing them while riding. Otherwise great to ride...
Former Scott Spark and Arc8 Essential eg are in that league too.

Only really light frame I rode and thought it seemed as stiff and capable as heavier frames was the Stoll T1 and T2. Just a bit spendy.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:51 pm Bike is a tool. You're the one using it well, or poorly
Sums up my experience with snappy XC frames well.
I simply chose the wrong tools. Wouldn't want to blame the manufacturers (BMC and Kona), who dealt well with the damages - especially BMC (less than a week from snapped rear triangle to a ready to ride bike with a new one incl. new DT wheel since the hub standard had changed for the new triangle).
faustus

Post by faustus »

I've never owned a FS but the one I always like the idea of is the Cotic Flaremax. It's probably too heavy and expensive, being steel frame/alloy rear, but it looks to be adaptable, and would certainly be durable and capable. I'm sure it could be built fairly lightly, and made to work well as a bikepacker. Though I think the Bikepacking.com official terminology is 'Shredpacking' :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Alpinum wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:30 am Chiming in to "the bike I have is great":
I have an Ibis Ripley (since 2020, tested a bunch of similar bikes before I got it). Lovely balanced trail bike.
I also have a Ripley, I also really like it.
You can fit a small bottle under the shock and use a long frame bag above it.

There are some killer deals here on aluminium ones

https://www.merlincycles.com/ibis-riple ... 72024.html

https://www.merlincycles.com/ibis-riple ... 80096.html

And a good discount but still spendy carbon one

https://www.merlincycles.com/ibis-riple ... 80096.html

At 6ft 3in - XL would work I suspect.
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Missed out on a gen2 flaremax on fleabay

As a few have pointed out no point going for something ultra light as I'm not and then I add kit
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Hyppy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:49 pm I've a 2022 Occam and while it's pretty good for 'Lakes XC' find it a bit too much bike for longer bikepacking-type rides: I don't think I've ever done longer than ~70km on it.
Fair. I've done pretty long rides on its e.g. BB200, Cairngorms Loop, but my only other option is my rigid steel Longitude, which is heavier and less comfortable over anything more technical than you could ride a gravel bike on.

Those Ripley's look like great value, particularly the alloy ones!
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

Other than the rims name and a paint job is there a difference between the 2022 and the 2023?

Seriously tempted by the 22 as it seems a steal

Had a turner sultan (well still have technically) and liked the DW link
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Re: weight, I have a Cotic SolarisMAX and a Jeht and swap my forks/wheels/running gear between the two. The Jeht weighs more, but on average I end up riding (including climbing) faster on it. <shrug>
Shame the frame layout of the Jeht doesn't really lend itself to frame bags.
FLV

Post by FLV »

riderdown wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:50 pm
Other than the rims name and a paint job is there a difference between the 2022 and the 2023?

Seriously tempted by the 22 as it seems a steal

Had a turner sultan (well still have technically) and liked the DW link
As far as I am aware, they just do colour and parts spec changes for model years. The Frame / geo etc is by version I believe.

The 22 deore model is amazing value at that sale price compared to other bikes on the market.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

FLV wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:03 pm [...]
At 6ft 3in - XL would work I suspect.
Good point Dave. I'm 6 ft(?) or 5 ft 12in(?) - 182 cm (high ape index) - and rise a L. It's rather compact with a short stem.
I'd definately suggest a XL for 6ft 3in unless one likes compact bikes and 100 mm stems.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 pm Some sale specialized here if this helps
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes/spe ... tain-bikes
My mate is getting a Stumpy from Balfes. 50% off RRP and then C2W on top of that. :shock: