Gobowen->Berwyns: Wayfarer & Dirt Bike School 13-15 April 2024

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MuddyPete

Gobowen->Berwyns: Wayfarer & Dirt Bike School 13-15 April 2024

Post by MuddyPete »

"I never go for a walk without my bike".

Saturday
https://www.instagram.com/p/C51GBcgoTi_ ... U2ZHpuaHM0

Train to Gobowen arrived 10:46, then ride past the national border stone and up to Wayfarer's memorial stone. Blimey it's windy; blowing me off course as I pinballed uphill on the rubble. Difficult enough to be unpleasant, but not epic enough to be rewarding. Pushing is quicker. :| :roll:

Drier and slightly less windy downhill, I stopped at Llandrillo store for coffee and a very late lunch. The pub in Llandrillo closed down, but there's a bike-friendly pub that allows camping in the car park nearby (result!) :-bd , so off I pedalled to the Bryntirion Inn. Unfortunately it's van-camping only (tarmac surface and limited area), so after a hearty meal and a look at the map I headed into the hills looking for shelter.

It's either very steep, very private, or very soggy so I ended up back in Llandrillo with the reluctant intention of kipping on the village green. After a few "I wonder what's down here?" diversions I discover a cheeky, but fairly discrete, option with plenty of space and ample weatherproof shelter. The sort of bivi site that's best kept off the internet :wink: . Lighting my dimmest headtorch and with a keen ear for curious locals I settled down for the night and awoke early the next morning to slight frost, but clear and sunny skies.

Sunday
https://www.instagram.com/p/C51HAK8odwX ... NrNDd4aA==

A leisurely breakfast, then 0800 shopping at Llandrillo stores for today and tomorrow's lunch before pedalling south towards Llangynog.

This is "Let's Off-Road" country: the few permitted roads are gravel/shale/chippings/broken tarmac, which was preferable to the swampy bridleways at this time of year. A steady plod upwards takes me to the B4391, which you really should visit if you have a superbike. :cool:

Swapping the road for a bridleway after a couple of miles, I encountered an entirely useless footbridge, then slogged uphill through a tussock farm for an hour-or-two. At least I had plenty of time.

After the bridleway gate I slogged downhill through another tussock farm for a while, until the bridleway became more defined and I could enjoy the descent. I stopped for an extended lunch in an idyllic spot, sheltered next to a conifer wood and babbling brook. Delightfully quiet and peaceful.

Refreshed, I zoomed down the surprisingly steep bridleway for a mile into Llangynog, stopping at the dirt bike school I'd attend on Monday. The owner (7-time Dakar rally competitor, Mick Extance) was happy to chat, especially when he heard my answer to his "Where have you cycled from?" question, then offered me a lift back to Gobowen in the van after Monday's session, if needed. "I like people like you: you make a plan and just go and do it". Yay! :cool:
https://www.mickextanceexperience.com/

I called at the New Inn for a pint and chatted with the barmaid, who recommended a nearby campsite and a visit to a nearby shrine in Pennant Melangell. Free bivi was completed last night so I decided to use the campsite: although I found another excellent secluded-but-cheeky pitch, the campsite gave me a chance to pitch before the night's heavy rain. And...sometimes it's just nice to give something back, y'know. o:-)

Relieved of luggage I sprinted to the charming church at Pennant Melangell, housing a shrine to a girl who shielded a hare being hunted by a nobleman c1300 years ago. It's a tranquil and fascinating place to spend an hour.

A race back to the pub for dinner, then back to the campsite in the predicted blustery heavy rain. Saturday night's bivi site would have been ideal in this weather.

Monday
https://www.instagram.com/p/C51HtyMIrHT ... F6Zzc0eGRp

Awakened at 03:50 by howling wind, creaking trees and hammering rain. After a few minutes contemplation I grabbed my kit and squelched over the campsite to kip in one of the immaculate toilet/shower pods. Kit laid out, I spent a few minutes cheering myself up with the hairdryer before retiring again. The Buffalo Bag hood was especially useful, as every time I turned over the ceiling light switched on :roll: .

I awoke after a solid 3 hours sleep (but taken in several instalments) to more wind and rain. Smart move to relocate, as the kitchen pod was next door so the kettle went on as I packed. After hot tea, hot cereal and some music I was again human and ready for Dirt Bike school, just down the road. :-bd

The day was very professionally organised with clean, modern 40bhp bikes, thorough briefings, excellent quality kit and a paternal, encouraging approach to coaxing the best out of even the least experienced (such as me). The loose, scrabbly steepness we ended up riding up and down was astonishing. Stuff I wouldn't take an MTB near was well within our capabilities with the dirt bike. The mountain-top exposure, howling wind, horizontal sleet and knee-deep puddles just added to the occasion, but we felt invincible wrapped up in our helmets and biker clobber. I thoroughly recommend it. :-bd

Back at base we changed, had quick look at dirt biking's future, a Stark e-bike with 60 "bhp" ("They make everything you rode today easier") :geek: , bade our farewells and departed in the sunshine.

My impending ride back to Gobowen had been received with astonishment, amusement and respect by all (including Mick) and earned a few modest brownie points.

The back lane ride back was breathtaking: for scenery and steepness, but once Oswestry was in sight I had a stunning blast down hill nearly all the way, before racing to Gobowen Co-Op for food and the 18.11 train home.

A superb weekend: "more" is definitely "more". I can't believe it was only 3 days :lol: .

Lessons Learned.
  • Neoprene wetsuit socks are perfect for keeping feet warm in cold, soggy Wales (but do become a bit of a bio-hazard after 3 days :YMSICK: ).
  • Most food (except a few pieces of mint cake) was eaten. I don't need to eat as much as I thought I did.
  • All kit (except the tool kit) was used. Everything worked.
  • Rides are best when shared (especially the bad ones).
  • "Skip bike" (a Claud Butler Pine Lake from 2000, rescued 15 years ago from a bloke about to lob it into the scrap metal skip at the tidy tip :o ) has become a great, cheap Velo-Snoozing ride, just by adding a curly 'bar, a Surly Troll fork, low gears and chubby tyres. Geometry is similar to my P7 or Inbred. It's just a bit heavy (like my Buffalo Bag), but is comfortable and reliable.
  • All bikes are great (but knobbly-tyred ones are best)! :cool:
Last edited by MuddyPete on Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Re: Gobowen->Berwyns: Wayfarer & Dirt Bike School 13-15 April 2024

Post by RIP »

Well that was a good one! Lots of things going on there Pete. And some proper weather. :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Always good to read proper trip reports Pete; in addition to those on the BAM thread!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Aye, a very nice read that. The kind that makes me want to go there.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Thanks chaps :-bd .
Bearlegged wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:22 pm The kind that makes me want to go there.

Then my work here is done. :cool:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Excellent work there :-bd Not seeing the issue with the footbridge :lol: Obviously it's on the bank to stop it being washed away :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Cheers Sean :grin: .

I considered it could be a swing bridge, that no longer swings. Or they could have left it on my side if the brook :roll:
Or made it into a ramp :-bd
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Great read Pete what a cracking weekend .

Love the bridge did you go and check out what it was bridging ?
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Raggedstone wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:44 am Love the bridge did you go and check out what it was bridging ?
Just tussocks! :lol:

Thanks, it was great fun. :-bd
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

About time :smile: