Spain and the £97 rule

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Spain and the £97 rule

Post by woodsmith »

Any thoughts? https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... d-29000594.
I was about 5 minutes away from booking my flights. Now I'm looking for a Plan B
benconnolli

Re: Spain and the £97 rule

Post by benconnolli »

Headline is harsher than the article, borderline clickbait IMHO
FLV

Post by FLV »

Nonsense in reality.

Brexit has apparently created all kinds of new rules. The only difference I've seen is that the Dutch folk at hook of holland think we're all tossers.

Actually, I'm not sure that's a difference to be honest.

I'd not worry about it.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Extraordinarily unlikely to be asked for proof, but surely a credit card with a large enough limit to cover this person day is good enough anyway? I vaguely recall being asked for similar going into the USA years ago, and showing a bank statement and credit card was enough.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

PaulE wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:19 pm Extraordinarily unlikely to be asked for proof, but surely a credit card with a large enough limit to cover this person day is good enough anyway? I vaguely recall being asked for similar going into the USA years ago, and showing a bank statement and credit card was enough.
The guidance adds that the funds can be proved by the following: presenting cash, traveller’s cheques, a credit card accompanied by a bank account statement, an up-to-date bank book, or any other resource that accredits the amount available, such as a credit statement regarding the card or bank account. It said bank letters or online bank statements will not be accepted.

As I was planning on going for 2 months I don't really fancy carrying around 6K in cash or travellers cheques, I don't have a credit card and only do online banking. And a paying in book ? What year is this?
Sajama

Post by Sajama »

500 € notes don't take up much space and lots of places to hide in the bike. Why don't you like debit/ credit card?
OK you might loose one and be scuppered, always carry 2 in different places .Other half opened a Santander account as it free withdrawal of cash in Spain.
Edit biggest note issued now is €200 , but the € 500 is still legal tender
Last edited by Sajama on Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sajama

Post by Sajama »

Online banking,what if you're mugged and phone is stolen, would not like to be in that situation.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Who would but is its probably easier to deal with than having your wallet and cards stolen and easier to fix.
My approch would be a joint bank account so someone back home can still deal with or santander and go into a bank there ( will have passport so should get access).
Sajama

Post by Sajama »

Lost a card last year on a GR (fell out of phone case pocket when stopped to take a pic) easy fix one phone call to cancel.
How do you do that if phone is lost stolen , and how much hassle getting cash out of a bank abroad.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Would definitely have at least one credit card, if only for the protections you get against fraud / companies screwing you over.

Set a direct debit to pay it off in full and it's not realistically different to paying from your bank (you're not paying any interest).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

How do you do that if phone is lost stolen
Why am I cancelling a card when my phone has been stolen?
Lost phone = get a replacement by walking into a shop and buying one and a sim.

Of course its not hassle free but its going to be considerably quicker and easier than getting a new card sent to you abroad as someone is going to have to open your mail and post it to you. ( likely need to know some account codes to get internet banking back so some prep work before leaving)
Juat get a santander account as mentioned above for spain and dont lose your passport.