New Trail Shoes

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

petemaz

New Trail Shoes

Post by petemaz »

Slightly off topic so apologies, but hopefully someone can help me! I'm after a new pair of trail shoes for hiking and general outdoors stuff. I don't have many specific requirements, just shoes that will last more than a year of regular use (does such a thing exist these days?), have decent grip in 3 season weather, and are well just more durable than these uber expensive lightweight shoes on the market.. Budget up to around £100.

Any suggestions? Thanks 👍
voodoo_simon

Re: New Trail Shoes

Post by voodoo_simon »

Will they be used on the bike as well? If not and it’s for walking, then something like these Salomons are good. Had a few of similar style to these and they’ve done well (had several speedcross for trail running) and then I got some gore Tex similar to the link below. Done me well for the last couple of years

Link shows £105 instead of £150 but there’s similar versions out there that normally are in the sale

https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea ... g9228.html
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Pete. Not sure if reduced drop (like 4mm as compared to standard 10mm from heel to toes) is gonna be a put-off. But, there is an up and coming company called TOPO. If you type in Topo Athletic you'll find plenty info about them and reviews from most users are excellent.

Thing that sold me (as well as the almost zero drop or zero drop on some, as well as the shaped foot box like Altra etc) was the YT review stating how they were lasting really well out on the trails/rocks. Can't afford just now but there are offers of the boot versions found down to £130 (I think Rock and Run). I'll be buying some soon enough and they'll replace various approach type shoes that have been either uncomfy or not lasting more than a season.

https://www.hardloop.co.uk/shop/5397-topo-athletic-sale

Seems like a US brand with a UK shop. Not much point looking at the Uk shop as stocks are always low at the mo. Maybe they only stock up twice a year (read that over on Trek Lite I think).
petemaz

Post by petemaz »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into both.. 👍
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

For hiking I use inov-8 mudclaw.

Used extensively in the U.K., and when hiking in Iceland.
Brilliant

Not at all waterproof
So use sealskin socks when it’s wet.

Iceland would cross rivers without socks then put the sealskins on.

When dry use running socks.

Lightweight, quick drying, amazing grip, and don’t annoy my feet.

Also useful for Parkrun. 😂
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I have a set of Salomon XA pro gtx which are slightly more rugged than the Speedcross. I’ve just got back from the lakes and they were brilliant on hikes.

If you are planning on long runs in them they may be a tad stiff though. I think Sportsshoes have them on offer at the moment for £110 or so.