The post man's been ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: The post man's been ...

Post by fatbikephil »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:42 pm ...and brought a new GRX mech to replace the 105 one that exploded spectacularly the other day. Thought while I was replacing it, I might as well get something that will cope with a larger cassette without swapping the goat link in and out, shift better, and... be more clutchy. But I can't escape the slightly dirty feeling that I've been gravelled to :oops:
There is only one solution to that Dave....
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

a Sea to Summit Cinder Down Quilt from their sale.

I'd tried the Alpkit quilt before and found it too cold (seems it is generally poorly reviewed) so hopefully this is one works better for when I don't want to take my sleeping bag.

The bags and info leaflets it comes with are quite nice :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

New birthday hat from Dee. A relaunched Simpson M30 in case you're wondering.

May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I was thinking that Deft Punk were reforming 😀
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:55 am New birthday hat from Dee. A relaunched Simpson M30 in case you're wondering.

Matt Hoffman helmet? Pretty sure he wore one of those on the vert ramp... And happy birthday!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Matt Hoffman helmet?
He may have Paul but Simpson stuff is more commonly used for drag racing.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

That's the one - I remember him wearing a drag race helmet as the bike/Mx ones weren't up to the impacts from being stupidly high in the air on a BMX vert ramp...
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:55 am New birthday hat from Dee. A relaunched Simpson M30 in case you're wondering.

Nice
Full carbon??
Trying to ride bikes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Full carbon??
No, carbon is another £200 on top of what is already an expensive helmet. :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

AKA the Darth Vader helmet - there was some apocrypha in the '80's that they used a Simpson bandit as the basis for Vader's lid....
Jealous, but would look a bit daft riding a '60's Triumph.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Got some Peatys dry lube through the post, something tells me the small bottle will last quite well… :oops:
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

I loved my old Simpson. For reasons I can't recall, I was wearing a different one and had the Simpson in a helmet bag over my shoulder when riding home one night. The string snapped at speed and the lid bounced down the road :sad:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I was the postman.

Shimano 105/deore chain from Halfords. On the shelves at £34 but price matched online at £20.23 or something.

Pump which I almost bought... A pocket rocket for only £15.

Weldtite tyre levers. Big hefty ones with Halfords branding on the packaging with a lifetime warranty. Good old Weldtite and Halfords collaborations :-bd £6 and I'll keep the reciept. Looks almost like a Pedros.

Chain oil by Halfords. £4 and reminds me of the very first set of lubes I ever bought (same shape packaging, different colour, same Halfords logo... 20 years on :smile: ).
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

yourguitarhero wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:23 am a Sea to Summit Cinder Down Quilt from their sale.

I'd tried the Alpkit quilt before and found it too cold (seems it is generally poorly reviewed) so hopefully this is one works better for when I don't want to take my sleeping bag.

@yourguitarhero - which one did you go for if you don't mind me asking? I'm tempted by the "2 degree C" version but their site isn't clear if that's a "comfort" rating...
I've also got the Alpkit cloud base and agree it's not terribly warm...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

A new bike helmet for the gravel bike. Last one is coming up to 5 years old and thought about getting a new one when someone mentioned STIF cycles had a decent sale on deer protection helmets, so was happy to oblige

https://www.stifmtb.com/collections/open-face-helmets

Probably should post it in the bargain section
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Not really the postie, but my mate Dave. Delivered a beautiful 2010 Triumph Speed Triple. Wanted one for years :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

L2R24 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:49 am
yourguitarhero wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:23 am a Sea to Summit Cinder Down Quilt from their sale.

@yourguitarhero - which one did you go for if you don't mind me asking? I'm tempted by the "2 degree C" version but their site isn't clear if that's a "comfort" rating...
I got one of these too. The bag it comes in claims -4°C as a "functional limit" and 2°C for the comfort rating. I hope it lives up to its billing.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... with two large boxes of WRT T shirts :-bd
A new bike helmet for the gravel bike. Last one is coming up to 5 years old and thought about getting a new one when someone mentioned STIF cycles had a decent sale on deer protection helmets, so was happy to oblige
I'm confused now - are you saying that this is a new helmet to protect your gravel bike from attacks by Deer?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 am ... with two large boxes of WRT T shirts :-bd
I'm confused now - are you saying that this is a new helmet to protect your gravel bike from attacks by Deer?
Wore it yesterday, no deers attacked me so good value :lol:

*sweet protection helmets in case anyone is wondering

**no sweets attack me either
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bought this to use under my quilt as it gets quite sticky when it's hot... but I hadn't really looked too closely at the weight of it, so now I'm thinking I'll just go back to the old ultralight silk sheet method.

Ho hum, bit of a waste of money! I guess it'll be nice if I do anything at a more relaxed pace though.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

...and dropped off a new exped mat so that I can finally retire my circa 2005 self-inflating thermarest.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I went for the warmer version.
I've got a decent 3 season bag which does me fine down to freezing point so wanted this for summer camping - have a month camping in the Pyrenees in summer so thought it would be good for that.

I'll be in Northumberland next weekend so might try it then...
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

yourguitarhero wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:13 am

I went for the warmer version.
    I've got a decent 3 season bag which does me fine down to freezing point so wanted this for summer camping - have a month camping in the Pyrenees in summer so thought it would be good for that.

I'll be in Northumberland next weekend so might try it then...
    I ended up getting the cooler weather version...my Cinder 2 arrived this morning and is currently in the tent in the back garden. Feels very warm in 15 degrees :oops: ...size wise the regular seems pretty good for me at 5'8" and quality seems spot on. The straps also seem to allow some wriggle room whilst keeping you covered. Was really torn between the 10 degree and 2 degree versions, but figured might be easier sticking a leg out on warmer nights being a quilt rather the Aegismax bag with 3/4 zip I've been using. @yourguitarhero - What's the lower functional limit on your 10 degree version? Sounds ideall for a summer in tye Pyrenees!
    Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

...and dropped off fresh Joystick Mk17 for the lad. I get my Mk12 back and can retire the Mk7 for refurb.

Greetz

S : )
    faustus

Post by faustus »

Various headset bits, including all the bits to convert a purple hope headset I inherited, back to a less flashy black - so just cups only and top collar. Worked out cheaper than a new headset, so can just swap bearings. Now just have some unwanted purple cups...