Feats of endurance (hardest geezer content)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

Feats of endurance (hardest geezer content)

Post by voodoo_simon »

Finishes this Sunday, ran the length of Africa in less than a year

https://www.instagram.com/hardestgeezer ... gzM3Y5azdn

Impressive stuff
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Feats of endurance (hardest geezer content)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lions? Can't see any other reason why you'd do that - aside from Hippo maybe, they can get a pace on when they want.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Just discussed with a friend if this one was a form of nihilism:

Self-Transcendence 3100 Mile Race
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:07 pm Just discussed with a friend if this one was a form of nihilism:

I’m not familiar with that term but a quick google search would suggest maybe yes in that he’s done something that seems (almost) impossible (or I bet he had a lot of naysayers from the off).

Anyways, he’s only gone and done it :-bd To put it into simpler terms, if I ran a marathon a day for a whole year, I still wouldn’t travel as far as he did :shock:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:34 pm
Alpinum wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:07 pm Just discussed with a friend if this one was a form of nihilism:

I’m not familiar with that term but a quick google search would suggest maybe yes in that he’s done something that seems (almost) impossible (or I bet he had a lot of naysayers from the off).

Anyways, he’s only gone and done it :-bd To put it into simpler terms, if I ran a marathon a day for a whole year, I still wouldn’t travel as far as he did :shock:
Self-Transcendence 3100 Mile Race on Wikipedia: "The course is 3,100 miles (4,989 km) long. Runners negotiate 5,649 laps of one extended city block in Jamaica, Queens, bounded by 164th Place, Abigail Adams (84th) Avenue, 168th Street, and Grand Central Parkway— a distance of 0.5488 miles (883 m)—while the streets are in normal use.[2] The runners have 52 days to complete the distance, running from 6 a.m. to midnight, an average of 59.62 miles (95.95 km) every day. The prize is typically a T-shirt, a DVD, or a small trophy.[3]"

Whilst I can get my head around running across Africa, I can't possibly compute how one could run half mile loops around a block in NYC for 5649 times. 5649! Absolutely mental. And in a way nihilistic as I believe.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Alpinum wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:46 pm Self-Transcendence 3100 Mile Race on Wikipedia
Mrs Hyppy is the runner in our household and gave the 24 hour race scene a good crack before moving onto longer stuff a few years back including running some of the Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence races. The Chinmoy group has some alleged cult-like history, but they did offer good food and hospitality during their races!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Hyppy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:03 pm The Chinmoy group has some alleged cult-like history
Thanks. Had a quick look and will have to read more about this. Seems to be quite comical.