new bike/ frame

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sajama

new bike/ frame

Post by Sajama »

Have a trek 920, with 10 by 2 ,flat bars and run Mezcal 2.25 tyres ,its heavy and want a lighter setup.
.Needs bosses for my OMM elkhorn racks ,not interested in frame bags as am not into a regimented style of packing. The fork is old style straight steerer and heavy with 2 instead of 3 bosses, needs to be 15 mm axle for my dynahub.
Bought the frame last year as a panic buy,other half bought a 29er when her Headshok died.
voodoo_simon

Re: new bike/ frame

Post by voodoo_simon »

Not out yet and you’ve not mentioned a budget, but something like this?

https://bikepacking.com/news/mason-macro-teaser/
faustus

Post by faustus »

Titus Silk Road or el Viajero? Silk road is more of a tourer with all the mounts. Think you can spec the rigid fork with 3-boss mounts.
https://bikepacking.com/bikes/titus-silk-road-review/

Think the Mason will be £2000 frame only as a minimum, so if you do have similar money also consider Fairlight Holt and get a carbon fork with all the mounts - lots of choices for 29ers with a ~483mm a-c length.
Sajama

Post by Sajama »

Have been waiting for Cannondale to bring out( if the ever do) a 29er Headshok with the appropriate bosses. Last bike was one of the last 26 wheel Headshok tourers made in the USA before they moved production.
Have a nice lefty but the fork can't take a bag or cage ,OK for a day away. Lots say Headshok is crap but other Half's first one lasted 20 years , if you have the tools easy to service. She even had a Van Nic Zion custom frame built for a Headshok fork.
The Mason looks good as it has clearance for big tyres., Have an Orro Ekar but that's just another Kansas type gravel bike . Fork no bosses and a 5kg weight limit for rack, not a good bike for trips.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

You don't say what sort of terrain you wish to ride - looking at the Trek 920 I'd say more towards the gravel, forest road, farm tracks type of terrain rather than anything uber-technical. Yay/nay?

Given that the Trek is sub 13kg *with a pannier rack* I'd say that's not too shabby, my Genesis Croix de Fer is a kg lighter without a rack. OK, heavy when compared to a full-on road bike but actually pretty light for MTBs that most on here are using. Then again, new bike, etc. :grin: A carbon frame would lose you somewhere between 1000 - 1500g depending on the spec, carbon forks would be the next on the list after that cutting weight becomes ever harder as you are trying to reduce weight on ever lighter components. That's not to say it can't be done but it can be a bit like long distance backpackers cutting their toothbrush handle in half whilst still carrying five kilos of tinned food! :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Sajama

Post by Sajama »

A bit of everything, last year Morocco on the old french military roads and some dirt roads over the hills , later Spain the Empty Mountains and then cycle home via Ireland and Campbelltown .This year Portugal trying to do as many tracks s,GR's and local trail to cut down on the road work . Want a lighter bike as a GR water crossing and steep hill sides nearly done me in.
Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

I don't know the Trek 920 but looking at specs it seems to be a 3.04 kg frameset, yeah? That does seem kinda chunky but I wonder how much of that is having alloy (with steel steerer?) rather than carbon forks. Is it worth weighing the current forks and seeing how much weight you could save just switching those out?