Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Re: Wildlife

Post by Bearlegged »

:grin:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

About this time last year, myself and a mate had an overnighter at Kershopehead. Pedalling in from Newcastleton, we had a poke around an old outdoor ed centre. The pic below was me posing in the kitchen and my mate sent it to me today to point out the wildlife we'd not seen at the time.
Can you spot them?
Excuse my wardrobe misdemeanours, it was about -10 deg C. The place was spooky and I wouldn't be going in alone in the dark.......
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Are they bats 'twixt the glazing and those trendy OSB shutters they've installed to complement the hipster bar vibe?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Yep, everyone's favourite nocturnal flying mammal. It was obviously dark at the time, so we didn't notice.
🦇 🦇 🦇 🦇
Verena

Post by Verena »

boxelder wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:17 am Yep, everyone's favourite nocturnal flying mammal. It was obviously dark at the time, so we didn't notice.
🦇 🦇 🦇 🦇
That's pretty cool
Verena

Post by Verena »

There you go ...very seasonal....

Somewhat less than totally wild wildlife....

But it is a nice story, and of course a true one ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67685458
RIP

Post by RIP »

Six blackbirds on our crabapple tree. Normally even two fight each other for territory so that's a record. Love blackbirds, especially their song. Best £20 we ever spent on a tree that was. Garden centre ignored it in a corner and we saved it. Lots of phases of pleasure - green leaves, flowers, fruit, autumn leaves, birds eating the rotting fruit as now.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Mrs PB and I decided to have a Christmas Day walk up a local mountain, the 750m peak of Cabrafeixet. Just as we reached the top a pair of golden eagles took flight from a few metres away. I managed to get this shot of one of them before they got too far away.
Verena

Post by Verena »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:10 pm Mrs PB and I decided to have a Christmas Day walk up a local mountain, the 750m peak of Cabrafeixet. Just as we reached the top a pair of golden eagles took flight from a few metres away. I managed to get this shot of one of them before they got too far away.
Beautiful
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Don’t think trees come quite under wildlife but ventured out today to see an old tree…

Question is (I’m either being daft or over thinking it) does it mean the tree is 3500 years old or I’m reading it as it’s a cut off from an older tree, planted there and taken well
Attachments
IMG_9550.jpeg
IMG_9550.jpeg (159.43 KiB) Viewed 7560 times
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Says parent tree is that old so presumably grown from that or a seed from.that ( or perhaps even the tree that was first brought to the country ?

Pretty sure some trees can live that long yews for example
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

There’s some Scandinavian spruce trees that are nearly 10000 years old - I think they’re all a bit trigger’s broom though since just like yew trees they produce a new trunk when one dies off
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

PaulB2 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:13 pm There’s some Scandinavian spruce trees that are nearly 10000 years old - I think they’re all a bit trigger’s broom though since just like yew trees they produce a new trunk when one dies off
This I didn’t know, I’ll have to look into this trunk thing now :-bd
Lazarus wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:10 pm Says parent tree is that old so presumably grown from that or a seed from.that ( or perhaps even the tree that was first brought to the country ?

Pretty sure some trees can live that long yews for example
Been thinking about the above tree I posted, not much out there on the ‘net but the forest was planted in the 17th/18th century and California wasn’t ‘discovered’ 3500 years ago, so makes sense if it’s a cut off that has been grown (not sure if that tree can grow from a cutoff?!)

- - -

Anyways, todays sighting were seals on The Great Orme
Attachments
IMG_9702.jpeg
IMG_9702.jpeg (182.59 KiB) Viewed 7465 times
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A couple of red kites whilst walling over at my brother's. Not seen them in the Lakes before.

Apparently the curlews are back from the coast already. Not heard any yet but if they are here then it won't be too long.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
faustus

Post by faustus »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:30 pm Don’t think trees come quite under wildlife but ventured out today to see an old tree…

Question is (I’m either being daft or over thinking it) does it mean the tree is 3500 years old or I’m reading it as it’s a cut off from an older tree, planted there and taken well
Think it's just that someone took a sapling/sucker from a parent tree in California, or a seed from the parent tree. Seed more likely as they'd have to keep the sapling alive on the long voyage home - although many explorers did this successfully. Those species do live that long on the west coast of the US for sure, and mature ones in the UK can be hundreds of years old - though still teenagers compared to the old growth giants in their native habitat.

It's great finding specimen trees in the UK. Our colonial and botanical history means there are loads of interesting ones dotted around! :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

faustus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:57 am
voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:30 pm Don’t think trees come quite under wildlife but ventured out today to see an old tree…

Think it's just that someone took a sapling/sucker from a parent tree in California, or a seed from the parent tree. Seed more likely as they'd have to keep the sapling alive on the long voyage home - although many explorers did this successfully. Those species do live that long on the west coast of the US for sure, and mature ones in the UK can be hundreds of years old - though still teenagers compared to the old growth giants in their native habitat.

It's great finding specimen trees in the UK. Our colonial and botanical history means there are loads of interesting ones dotted around! :-bd
Thanks, that’s a good explanation :-bd
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

I've just seen a badger, on the way back from the pub :-bd .
May you always have tail wind.
godivatrailrider

Post by godivatrailrider »

I had the pleasure of following a Barn Owl along a hedge line in the dusk a couple of nights ago ... 100m or so then it banked right, across the road and over a field ... beautiful bird
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Another "badger on the way home from the pub" incident in Sheffield this week.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Frogs back in the pond and spawning, hopefully they hatch. The male has finally let go of the female and she's just chilling in the pond now. :-bd

Hyppy

Post by Hyppy »

Osprey Pr0n!

They're back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boqK3DvnpuI
Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 13.16.11.png
Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 13.16.11.png (598.78 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Verena

Post by Verena »

Walking round favourite little woodland today, saw first bluebells out (there), and really happy to see that the ravens have rebuilt and are using the nest which got blown down last year.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

First Cuckoo of the year heard today :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:38 pm First Cuckoo of the year heard today :-bd
That's always a bit special
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Same here went out for a walk with a friend to see the bluebells and wild garlic around the Malverns and heard a cuckoo.
Isn't it a bit early compared to a normal year ?